Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sleeping with socks on not allowed?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

WitchKitty

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 2:54 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Is it any different than the constant MO bashing? I think it comes from all arenas. I've read threads where vegetarians were told they weren't living a frum life.

I don't think that if you feel that you were bashed it's enough of a reason to bash others.

moonstone

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 3:11 am
realsilver wrote:
I’m planning to find out, so I don’t know yet, but I’m assuming in the zohar.
That is something that chassidish people don’t take lightly.

Will come back when I find out - but take back you’re comment until then!
It’s NEVER ok to bash other peoples chumras in yiddishkeit

But you just called the burka women ridiculous. I'm sure they think their burkas are just as valid as any other chumra. So why is it OK for you to bash them?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 3:22 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
And some of us, like myself and my husband and the family we are raising, do. And the least you can do is respectfully say something along the lines of "Oh that's interesting, I never heard of that" and move on rather than insist that if you don't do it, it must not be real Judaism.

That said, a lot of the things we do may be considered extreme by some. I will assure you that things like not wearing socks to bed take up very little space in our heads and are just a simple fact of life that causes us no inconvenience as we BH have adequate heating in our bedroom. The chumros that we take upon ourselves should not be an object of scorn by other frum women, that's not an acceptable way to respond to a lifestyle different than yours.

And to answer the original question, no this does not apply to women, enjoy your socks.

I don't understand. The point of the chumra is not to be warm when you sleep. Until recently, most people did not have adequate heating in their bedrooms all night.
Not donning socks may be keeping the letter of the law, but then sleeping in a heated room is against the spirit of the law.

DrMom

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 3:25 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I don't understand. The point of the chumra is not to be warm when you sleep. Until recently, most people did not have adequate heating in their bedrooms all night.
Not donning socks may be keeping the letter of the law, but then sleeping in a heated room is against the spirit of the law.

Yes -- if you take off your socks but crank up the heat, aren't you worried about your DH having a nocturnal emission or about you both forgetting Torah learning?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 4:25 am
Wow, how an interesting topic & discussion can become so sad to read.
With people making fun or bashing other people's way of life.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 4:25 am
Wow, how an interesting topic & discussion can become so sad to read.
With people making fun or bashing other people's way of life.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 4:26 am
Delete

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 6:59 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Are there more sources other than the Yom Kippur one posted?

The gemara talks about socks.
Zohar for covers I think.
Most Chassidish men know about this and wouldn't find this funny at all.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:04 am
[quote="amother [ Beige ]"]It's fake Judaism.[/quote.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 8:47 am
Maybe my ex is an outlier. He's the only Jewish man I've ever slept with. He's extremely well learned and studies halacha constantly, so I'm sure he's heard of this before.

He's Chassidic, and he has religious OCD. He sleeps in the same pair of stinky socks he's been wearing all week. Confused He changes them when he bathes for Shabbos.

He also sleeps on his back, with a pile of pillows under his head. He has sleep apnea that he refuses to get treated for.

OT again, what about people who live in places like Montreal or Alaska? Don't you think they'd get frostbite?

I cannot sleep with cold feet. I keep extra pairs of fuzzy "sleep socks", that I put after I have my shower before bed. No toenail fungus for me!

BTW, where does it say that men are accountable for things that happen beyond their control, while they are unconscious? What if something does happen, and they feel guilty all the time? That seems horribly unfair.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 9:57 am
moonstone wrote:
Really? Do I have to respect everything a Jew decides to do, no matter how ridiculous? Do I have to respect the women who wear burkas? How about the sect that marries off 14-year-old girls? If some rabbi said tomorrow that all men have to wear pink shoes with daisies on them, would I have to respect that?

The no socks "rule" is ridiculous. And I find it disturbing that so many men take all these measures to avoid having a fully comfortable night's sleep "just in case."

I am disgusted by your lack of respect to other's chumra's and when you think you can be respectful, I'd explain it to you. Meanwhile, live and let live. Sleeping without socks isn't affecting anyone but themselves and no one is getting abused in the process, so quit your extreme comparisons that you know make no sense. If you put a man sleeping without socks and marrying off a 14 year old in the same category, that's so sad and extremely shallow of you. There's a whole world of Judaism out there besides for your way and everyone has their minhagim and chumra's.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 10:01 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I am disgusted by your lack of respect to other's chumra's and when you think you can be respectful, I'd explain it to you. Meanwhile, live and let live. Sleeping without socks isn't affecting anyone but themselves and no one is getting abused in the process, so quit your extreme comparisons that you know make no sense. If you put a man sleeping without socks and marrying off a 14 year old in the same category, that's so sad and extremely shallow of you.

It’s not that the sleeping with socks = pedophilia; it’s that it shows a culture of dictatorial control over minutiae (a decree from authorities, not a personal decision), and obsession over s-xual matters that could otherwise be dismissed as out of a person’s control.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 10:03 am
bigsis144 wrote:
It’s not that the sleeping with socks = pedophilia; it’s that it shows a culture of dictatorial control over minutiae (a decree from authorities, not a personal decision), and obsession over s-xual matters.

Nope, it's not about dictatorial control at all. There are real sources for this. Everyone is allowed to take on any chumra's they want and no one is being forced to do this. No one knows what goes on in your home. It's really not so big if a deal or something to dwell on.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 10:20 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Maybe my ex is an outlier. He's the only Jewish man I've ever slept with. He's extremely well learned and studies halacha constantly, so I'm sure he's heard of this before.

He's Chassidic, and he has religious OCD. He sleeps in the same pair of stinky socks he's been wearing all week. Confused He changes them when he bathes for Shabbos.

He also sleeps on his back, with a pile of pillows under his head. He has sleep apnea that he refuses to get treated for.

OT again, what about people who live in places like Montreal or Alaska? Don't you think they'd get frostbite?

I cannot sleep with cold feet. I keep extra pairs of fuzzy "sleep socks", that I put after I have my shower before bed. No toenail fungus for me!

BTW, where does it say that men are accountable for things that happen beyond their control, while they are unconscious? What if something does happen, and they feel guilty all the time? That seems horribly unfair.

No one's toes are getting frostbite, if that's actually an issue then they'll deal with it. It's really not as big of a deal as everyone is making it. My husband's toes stick out his blanket and guess what? He's fine!

Zera lvatala is a big deal and my husband holds he should do whatever he can to prevent it within reason and sleeping without socks is definitely within reason. Does it mean it never happens? No. Have you ever Messed a light switch by accident on Shabbos? I have, and it's a moment of "Oh gosh, I didn't mean to do that. Alright, gotta be more careful" and move on.

I have never seen the smallest nuance in Chumra blown up to such ridiculous proportions. It's REALLY not a big deal. I promise.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 10:29 am
DrMom wrote:
Yes -- if you take off your socks but crank up the heat, aren't you worried about your DH having a nocturnal emission or about you both forgetting Torah learning?

If we "crank up the heat" we'd be sweating under our blankets. The room is a comfortable temperature and, as evidenced by everyone's outrage here, if your toes are sticking out of your blanket, they will inevitably be slightly less toasty than if they were under the blanket.

Forgetting learning is from the Rambam in reference to wearing shoes to sleep. It has nothing to do with socks.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 3:45 pm
I think I asked this earlier and nobody answered. How can a man be responsible for a wet dream? It is a full on accident. It is not something that is happening on purpose. How can he be at fault if it happens?

Elfrida

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 3:55 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I think I asked this earlier and nobody answered. How can a man be responsible for a wet dream? It is a full on accident. It is not something that is happening on purpose. How can he be at fault if it happens?

I would say that he is not responsible for what it out of his control, but there is room to argue that he is responsible for minimizing the risk factors. Kind of like a woman is not responsible for the way a man reacts to seeing her, but she is expected not to dress provocatively.

ETA Incidentally I went to bed right after Shabbos with a migraine, and piled extra blankets on the bed because I was shivering so much. I woke up half an hour ago feeling much better, and with my feet sticking out from under the blankets in an instinctive effort to cool down. Was perfectly comfortable, or even somewhat warm. In an unheated bedroom.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 4:57 pm
I asked dh he said that it's definitely come from a Halacha, not to get too warm at night. The same reason why we don't eat meat at the seudas hamafsekes bc s-x isn't allowed. I'm just confused that men are allowed meat if we're a niddah bc isn't it the same sort of thing?! Although I can imagine that being really awkward" lol. Yanky, why aren't you eating the meat, aren't you hungry? Very Happy

He also told me that he hasn't had a wet dream for years, even then it wasn't often maybe once a year. Sounds like it happens more to younger guys. My dh is mid 30's. Married over 14 years knh.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 5:19 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I asked dh he said that it's definitely come from a Halacha, not to get too warm at night. The same reason why we don't eat meat at the seudas hamafsekes bc s-x isn't allowed. I'm just confused that men are allowed meat if we're a niddah bc isn't it the same sort of thing?! Although I can imagine that being really awkward" lol. Yanky, why aren't you eating the meat, aren't you hungry? Very Happy

He also told me that he hasn't had a wet dream for years, even then it wasn't often maybe once a year. Sounds like it happens more to younger guys. My dh is mid 30's. Married over 14 years knh.
That is not why we dont have meat at the seuda mafseket. We dont have meat because the entire 9 days before 9av there is no eating basari. Nothing to do with 2ex.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 5:38 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
That is not why we dont have meat at the seuda mafseket. We dont have meat because the entire 9 days before 9av there is no eating basari. Nothing to do with 2ex.

I'm talking about erev yom kippur
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions