Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sleeping with socks on not allowed?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:08 pm
Can't Believe It

Just make sure you wake up your smiling baby, and keep a knife nearby.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:09 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
For men it's not allowed. Rather it's better not to wear to prevent wet dreams. This is what dh told me.

DH sleeps with socks on as well. Definitely not halacha, maybe an extra chumra some have taken upon themselves.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:09 pm
This is not Halacha.

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:10 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Can't Believe It

Just make sure you wake up your smiling baby, and keep a knife nearby.

Scratching Head

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:14 pm
DrMom wrote:
Scratching Head

LOL
I'm wondering the same! You're right I'm pretty sure it's not Halacha! I've heard of it, doesn't make it assur. I should've been more clear.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:14 pm
This is most probably a chumra so that no male will have a wet dream. There are three things to not do so that one wont get a wet dream: eat before bed, drink alcohol before bed and get over heated.
So, this is probably a chumra on the last one. Thats all.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:16 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
This is most probably a chumra so that no male will have a wet dream. There are three things to not do so that one wont get a wet dream: eat before bed, drink alcohol before bed and get over heated.
So, this is probably a chumra on the last one. Thats all.

That sounds about right!
My dh tries not to sleep on his stomach too for the same reason...
But its an uncomfortable position anyway so not too difficult.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:17 pm
DrMom wrote:
What does this even mean?

Everyone I've spoken to about wearing socks to bed says when they try it, they kick the socks off in their sleep.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:18 pm
DrMom wrote:
Scratching Head

Referencing this thread I assume LOL

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....12393

Teomima

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So my feet are cold at night a lot but my ds tells me halachically sleeping with socks isn’t allowed. Anyone heard of this or know why?

It's only allowed if they're striped or solid color socks. Obviously plaid is a major no-no, though some would argue that according to Rav Garbayim, argyle, which can easily be mistaken for plaid, is allowed as long as it's not during the three weeks.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:20 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Everyone I've spoken to about wearing socks to bed says when they try it, they kick the socks off in their sleep.

Depends how loose fitting they are. I can’t kick my socks off. I need my hands for that.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:20 pm
I always wondered about that part in Megillas Rut, where Ruth was told to sneak into the room where Boaz was sleeping, and to "uncover his feet."

Is that a euphemism for something, or did it just mean make his feet cold so that he would wake up. If he woke up with cold feet, and a beautiful woman was there, what's the connection?

Does "uncover his feet" mean to have relations, or does it just mean to get his attention so they could have a little talk at 2am?

Anyway you slice it, it doesn't seem one bit tznius, especially since she was told to dress up fancy for him. Never mind the yichud problem. He wanted her to sneak out before dawn so that nobody would see her. If they weren't fooling around, then way all the sneaking?

Sorry for the tangent. The bare feet thing just got me wondering if men even wore socks back then, and when did socks take on the status of being ossur at night (and according to who?)

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:21 pm
Teomima wrote:
It's only allowed if they're striped or solid color socks. Obviously plaid is a major no-no, though some would argue that according to Rav Garbayim, argyle, which can easily be mistaken for plaid, is allowed as long as it's not during the three weeks.

LMSO (laughing my socks off)
Rolling Laughter

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:35 pm
Teomima wrote:

Love it LOL

thanks

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:37 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Never heard of it either, but a hot water bottle works better!

Its actually brought down in the halachos of sakkana not to sleep with a water bottle.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:48 pm
thanks wrote:
Its actually brought down in the halachos of sakkana not to sleep with a water bottle.

Source?

thanks

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:53 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Source?

I remember learning in hs in kitzur shul ha aruch. I can look up a little later. (hs was a long time ago for me.)

Moonlight

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 3:53 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I always wondered about that part in Megillas Rut, where Ruth was told to sneak into the room where Boaz was sleeping, and to "uncover his feet."

Is that a euphemism for something, or did it just mean make his feet cold so that he would wake up. If he woke up with cold feet, and a beautiful woman was there, what's the connection?

Does "uncover his feet" mean to have relations, or does it just mean to get his attention so they could have a little talk at 2am?

Anyway you slice it, it doesn't seem one bit tznius, especially since she was told to dress up fancy for him. Never mind the yichud problem. He wanted her to sneak out before dawn so that nobody would see her. If they weren't fooling around, then way all the sneaking?

Sorry for the tangent. The bare feet thing just got me wondering if men even wore socks back then, and when did socks take on the status of being ossur at night (and according to who?)

pretty sure it was euphamism...

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:08 pm
Men sleep with no socks and their feet uncovered so the blanket is pulled up.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:10 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Men sleep with no socks and their feet uncovered so the blanket is pulled up.

Add the word some to the beginning of the sentence!
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions