Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sleeping with socks on not allowed?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:17 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
This is most probably a chumra so that no male will have a wet dream. There are three things to not do so that one wont get a wet dream: eat before bed, drink alcohol before bed and get over heated.
So, this is probably a chumra on the last one. Thats all.

That's how I understand it.

I also understand that you're not supposed to sleep in shoes -- that's for the dead -- and some people have a chumra expanding that to socks.

I only sleep in socks if I have lotion on my feet. And yes, I can take them off in my sleep, using the toes of my other foot.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I always wondered about that part in Megillas Rut, where Ruth was told to sneak into the room where Boaz was sleeping, and to "uncover his feet."

Is that a euphemism for something, or did it just mean make his feet cold so that he would wake up. If he woke up with cold feet, and a beautiful woman was there, what's the connection?

Does "uncover his feet" mean to have relations, or does it just mean to get his attention so they could have a little talk at 2am?

Anyway you slice it, it doesn't seem one bit tznius, especially since she was told to dress up fancy for him. Never mind the yichud problem. He wanted her to sneak out before dawn so that nobody would see her. If they weren't fooling around, then way all the sneaking?

Sorry for the tangent. The bare feet thing just got me wondering if men even wore socks back then, and when did socks take on the status of being ossur at night (and according to who?)

I assumed uncovering his feet was particularly referring to his " 3rd leg"

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:24 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
There is a difference between keeping a male's body too hot that he may have a wet dream (that was what you were implying, right?) and being cold while one sleeps that they cant fall asleep so they need socks Smile

huh? that's not wet dreams work Scratching Head

NotLazySusan

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:26 pm
moonstone wrote:
OMG.

This

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:27 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I assumed uncovering his feet was particularly referring to his " 3rd leg"

Absolutely not.

She uncovered his feet to symbolize that he owed her Chalitza (next male relative and her husband died without having kids).

They did not sleep together before they were married.
The megillah is clear on that.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:27 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

Sure. If the body is warmer, wet dreams are more likely. I thought most boys are taught to sleep with a foot sticking out of the blanket or not is a certain position so they shouldn't get too warm.

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:31 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Sure. If the body is warmer, wet dreams are more likely. I thought most boys are taught to sleep with a foot sticking out of the blanket or not is a certain position so they shouldn't get too warm.

Most boys... where? My DH was never taught this, and as far as I know my teenaged sons don't do this.

Sounds crazy to me. Who wants to sleep with cold feet?

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:32 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Absolutely not.

She uncovered his feet to symbolize that he owed her Chalitza (next male relative and her husband died without having kids).

They did not sleep together before they were married.
The megillah is clear on that.

I don't think the megila is clear about that at all.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:34 pm
DrMom wrote:
Most boys... where? My DH was never taught this, and as far as I know my teenaged sons don't do this.

Sounds crazy to me. Who wants to sleep with cold feet?

Ask DH if he was ever taught not to sleep in certain positions or to leave a foot sticking out. Maybe you just don’t know he learnt it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:39 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Huh? I didnt say that that was how they work. I said some reasons, besides having an [inappropriate] dream or some such thing, is if the body overheats. Its one way it COULD happen.

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:39 pm
Ask DH if he was ever taught not to sleep in certain positions or to leave a foot sticking out. Maybe you just don’t know he learnt it.

I asked him before I posted the above message. He said he was never taught this. I suppose he may have forgotten, but I cannot assume that.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:40 pm

I just asked my DH. He shook his head and snarkily told me to stop reading imamother.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:40 pm
Most males I know sleep how they need to to stay warm in the winter.

If a wet dream occurs, its a mistake, its an accident. Its not the end of the world.

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:44 pm
I always thought Megillat Ruth implies that when Boaz wakes up, he wonders if he had been together with Ruth, and he wants to make sure he fulfills any obligations arising from that situation, whether he can recall the incident or not.

Last edited by DrMom on Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:50 pm
My husband holds this way. Doesn't wear socks to bed and purposely leaves feet uncovered unless it's very cold. He also is makpid to sleep on his side

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:55 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Most males I know sleep how they need to to stay warm in the winter.

If a wet dream occurs, its a mistake, its an accident. Its not the end of the world.

Right.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I just asked my DH. He shook his head and snarkily told me to stop reading imamother.

Smile

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

That’s why I’m not asking mine about it. I’m already extinguishing his menorah thanks to this place, soon I’ll make him sleep with uncovered feet! What’s next?

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:06 pm
DH just said it's totally true that you are more likely to have a wet dream when you are overheated. That being said he doesn't worry about overheating and leaving socks off and sleeping in odd positions. LOL

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 6:10 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
That’s why I’m not asking mine about it. I’m already extinguishing his menorah thanks to this place, soon I’ll make him sleep with uncovered feet! What’s next?

Lol!!!!

Next that you can't have s-x in the bath 😂
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions