Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sleeping with socks on not allowed?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:12 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Thank you for being brave enough to post this.
It bothers me so much that people on here make so much fun of keeping chumros. Anything extra is wrote off as ridiculous.

Personally, I have heard of this before. I do not have a source. But honestly, I don't think random people are making this stuff up.

Have a little respect for people who value their Judaism even if it looks different than yours.

Thank you! I agree it’s disgusting and disrespectful how some people make fun of other people who value keeping Torah properly.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:13 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Some of us don't call this Judaism, that's the thing.

Right because some couldn’t care much about Judaism and they pick and choose which things they want to keep and which ones they decide they don’t want to bother with

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:14 pm
small bean wrote:
I just asked my husband and he said he's never heard of not wearing socks or keeping one foot out of the blanket. Or to purposely keep cold while sleeping.

My Rov just said it is a real thing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:16 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
It is never appropriate to make fun of others chumra's. The least you can do is be respectful of all sects.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:22 pm
https://I.imgur.com/fYpGhxJ.jpg
Notice it states yom kippur
And boaz is mentioned
Every minhag or chumra has a source or reason.
True, they are not halacha, but they are important to those that hold to them.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:24 pm
I just asked my husband and he said he wasn’t taught this. Lubavitch

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Some of us don't call this Judaism, that's the thing.

And some of us, like myself and my husband and the family we are raising, do. And the least you can do is respectfully say something along the lines of "Oh that's interesting, I never heard of that" and move on rather than insist that if you don't do it, it must not be real Judaism.

That said, a lot of the things we do may be considered extreme by some. I will assure you that things like not wearing socks to bed take up very little space in our heads and are just a simple fact of life that causes us no inconvenience as we BH have adequate heating in our bedroom. The chumros that we take upon ourselves should not be an object of scorn by other frum women, that's not an acceptable way to respond to a lifestyle different than yours.

And to answer the original question, no this does not apply to women, enjoy your socks.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/fYpGhxJ.jpg
Notice it states yom kippur
And boaz is mentioned
Every minhag or chumra has a source or reason.
True, they are not halacha, but they are important to those that hold to them.

Thank you for this.
So it’s some men on Yom Kippur!

paperflowers

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:14 pm
I was going to make a joke about Lilith tickling your feet. Thankfully, I read through the thread first and changed my mind.

I’ve never heard of this but I have certainly heard of other rules (combination of Halacha and chumra, ask your lor) to prevent wet dreams. In that context it makes sense that this practice exists, even if it is not widespread.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 9:16 pm
Are frozen dreams ok?

exhausted

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:50 pm
I definitely heard of it and kept it for many years until my feet got too cold. I was taught that it causes one to forget their Torah learning. Never heard a difference between men and women.

DrMom

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:24 am
exhausted wrote:
I definitely heard of it and kept it for many years until my feet got too cold. I was taught that it causes one to forget their Torah learning. Never heard a difference between men and women.

Question: When you first were heard this, did you question the context or the veracity of this claim?

Because to me, such a claim doesn't make a lot of sense.

My thoughts:

- I can envision how such a notion may have arisen: If you find sleeping with socks to be particularly uncomfortable, then sleeping with them on can cause poor sleep, which can erode your concentration during the day, and thus cause you to remember your Torah learning less effectively.

- In such a case, it would apply not only to Torah learning, but if the person experiencing such a phenomenon were only learning Torah, that is the scope of his experience.

- If someone finds sleeping barefoot to be uncomfortable, sleeping without socks could have the opposite effect.

- Unless I were to see several peer-reviewed papers showing that there is a statistically significant difference between Torah test scores of sock-wearers vs non-sock-wearers (broken down by those who prefer to sleep with socks vs those who prefer to sleep barefoot), I would tend to dismiss this idea.

- We have 613 mitzvot to contend with. Why do we keep looking for ever-increasingly weird rules to pile onto our already heavy load?

moonstone

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:29 am
It is never appropriate to make fun of others chumra's. The least you can do is be respectful of all sects.

Really? Do I have to respect everything a Jew decides to do, no matter how ridiculous? Do I have to respect the women who wear burkas? How about the sect that marries off 14-year-old girls? If some rabbi said tomorrow that all men have to wear pink shoes with daisies on them, would I have to respect that?

The no socks "rule" is ridiculous. And I find it disturbing that so many men take all these measures to avoid having a fully comfortable night's sleep "just in case."

realsilver

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:34 am
moonstone wrote:
Really? Do I have to respect everything a Jew decides to do, no matter how ridiculous? Do I have to respect the women who wear burkas? How about the sect that marries off 14-year-old girls? If some rabbi said tomorrow that all men have to wear pink shoes with daisies on them, would I have to respect that?

The no socks "rule" is ridiculous. And I find it disturbing that so many men take all these measures to avoid having a fully comfortable night's sleep "just in case."

Woooow. Slow down there!
Your comparing a ridiculous thing like burkas to something that has a source.

Whether you want to follow that is your choice, but you might want to be careful with what you compare it to.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:40 am
realsilver wrote:
Woooow. Slow down there!
Your comparing a ridiculous thing like burkas to something that has a source.

Whether you want to follow that is your choice, but you might want to be careful with what you compare it to.

Are there more sources other than the Yom Kippur one posted?

realsilver

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:43 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Are there more sources other than the Yom Kippur one posted?

I’m planning to find out, so I don’t know yet, but I’m assuming in the zohar.
That is something that chassidish people don’t take lightly.

Will come back when I find out - but take back you’re comment until then!
It’s NEVER ok to bash other peoples chumras in yiddishkeit

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:45 am
realsilver wrote:
I’m planning to find out, so I don’t know yet, but I’m assuming in the zohar.
That is something that chassidish people don’t take lightly.

Will come back when I find out - but take back you’re comment until then!
It’s NEVER ok to bash other peoples chumras in yiddishkeit

What? I never bashed. You probably mean the poster before me.

realsilver

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:46 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
What? I never bashed. You probably mean the poster before me.

Yes, I’m sorry. I did.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 2:49 am

Exactly. Sad

WitchKitty

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 2:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My Rov just said it is a real thing

Great! Who is your rav?
Because it's the only source we've gotten so far! So I'm really curious.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions