Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What’s the earliest your DD got her period?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:40 am
My dd isn't that age yet but I got it when I was 10 and a half years old. It was a bit surprising but not traumatic at all as I had been told what I needed to know already. I'm 1.65 m (that is 5.4 in feet?).

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 2:51 pm
I got it at 10 1/2, my mother got it at 10 and my daughter who will be 10 in 2 months should get it within the year. She knows to expect it and has an older sister who talks about it plenty (who we gave shots in order to delay it from 10 to 12 because she had major development and maturity issues and behind a grade as well was on the short side.)

She may have a kid or two in her grade who is ready too but many of her friends have a few years to go. That's not the easiest thing to deal with but I'm sure she'll be fine. It won't matter in a few years anyway.

All the females in my family are on the short side, it's not an issue for me to think of her height at this point. My almost 10 year old is almost as tall as her sister who finished growing and will always be on the short side.

Only thing I did differently was bought period underwear so hopefully she won't have to worry about leaks in school and may help keeps sheets clean at home.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:33 pm
DD was 9 and I was shocked. BH I had told her about it already so she took it okay but I got mine at 13 so was really surprised she got it so early. She was super tall up until that point but didn’t grow that much after and is on the shorter side at this point.
Her very close friend got it at age 9 too so I think that made it more “normal” to her.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:36 pm
Best it doesn’t happen too early because that’s a major cause of short height.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:41 pm
What is period underwear? My dd is ten, dr said to expect it soon. I feel bad for her to start so young. I think I started at twelve.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:47 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Best it doesn’t happen too early because that’s a major cause of short height.

I've been really curious about this because average age of puberty is dropping, so is female height? I found this that claims that it isn't so.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:48 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
What is period underwear? My dd is ten, dr said to expect it soon. I feel bad for her to start so young. I think I started at twelve.

Underwear with built in protection.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:50 pm
Being on the earlier side is not necessarily a bad thing. Some girls who get it later become anxious that their body isn't working right (even if they know they are within the normal range) and feel left out in a way. It's probably ideal to be exactly in the middle, not first or last in a peer group, but later isn't necessarily better than earlier.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 9:44 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I've been really curious about this because average age of puberty is dropping, so is female height? I found this that claims that it isn't so.

This is an older article. Newer research does show a correlation between early puberty and short height.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 5:27 pm
Agh, my daughter who is almost 10 (2 months away) just got it today! She was ok with it, I told her to expect it soon but I was hoping it would wait a few more months at least. Oh well.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 5:46 pm
My daughter got it and 12 and 2 months. I was a bit surprised because I didn't get it until I was 14. I don't know the genes on my husband's family. Doctor says she will grow for another year. She is 5' 6.5". How much taller do we want her? Lol
She is almost my height.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 6:06 pm
I've been thinking about this too
My oldest is 6 and I was wondering when I should start. She isn't showing any signs yet of development. I was 11 (literally ony 11 birthday) and my sifsters were around that too I think? Can't remember when my mom got it... 12 maybe. But she told me around 8 bc she had a cousin or something who got it at 8 and wanted me to be prepared in case Smile

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 12:56 pm
Between my many sisters alone we ranged from ages 11 to 17.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 1:09 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Omg! These are sooo early! My daughter is turning 8 this week I hope she has another few years at least.. I got mine at 15 and my mother at 16. Not sure about siblings.

Just curious if both you and your mother were exceptionally thin at that age?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 2:10 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Just curious if both you and your mother were exceptionally thin at that age?

My siblings and I got our periods between 11 and 17. Some of us are exceptionally thin, some not at all and there was no correlation (I.e. my broadest, chubbiest sister got her period at 16, thinnest at 11 and everything else inbetween). The ones who got their periods at 11-13 are shorter like 5'3. - 5'5 and those who got period at 14-17 are all 5'6 and taller.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:13 pm
My daughter is very thin.
Breast buds at 8.
She is 9 and has developed a tiny bit more and will soon need training bras.
I would like to know if she’s getting hairy, but don’t think she will appreciate my prying.
She wears deodorant.
She’s 2/3 of a head shorter than me.

Hope she won’t get it for a while longer. It’s really very young.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:15 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
This is an older article. Newer research does show a correlation between early puberty and short height.

So in the future, all women will be shorter?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:16 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I've been thinking about this too
My oldest is 6 and I was wondering when I should start. She isn't showing any signs yet of development. I was 11 (literally ony 11 birthday) and my sifsters were around that too I think? Can't remember when my mom got it... 12 maybe. But she told me around 8 bc she had a cousin or something who got it at 8 and wanted me to be prepared in case Smile

This is not something to think about for a 6 year old.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:34 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
My daughter is very thin.
Breast buds at 8.
She is 9 and has developed a tiny bit more and will soon need training bras.
I would like to know if she’s getting hairy, but don’t think she will appreciate my prying.
She wears deodorant.
She’s 2/3 of a head shorter than me.

Hope she won’t get it for a while longer. It’s really very young.

My classmate from school is very thin and she was always tall. Her family are tall and thin. She was 5'4 and 85 pounds in 6th grade and just stopped growing. Apparently she got her period in 5th grade. She is still 5'4 and has 8 kids and is probably 100 pounds so still thin, but never grew tall like her family.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:41 pm
My two sisters who got it as 12.5-13 are quite tall. One sister and myself are 5”4 and she got her period at 16 and myself at 11.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics