Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do you daven the full davening every day?
1  2  Next

Do you daven the full davening every day?
Yes  
 12%  [ 18 ]
No  
 88%  [ 132 ]
Total Votes : 150

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 9:41 am
As mother of a bunch of children and working I know I do not have a chiyuv in the full davening of my high school days. I just still feel guilty if I skip parts of davening. So I’m just curious how many women actually do daven a full davening, the same things they did as when they were single?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 9:47 am
I also feel guilty

Since my second was born ( that are 12 monthes apart) there have been many days when I dont daven at all. ( until shw was born I always did)

How do people manage to daven with a few little ones??

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 9:50 am
I say nishmas every day and daven in my own words.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 9:50 am
I don’t daven at all besides for modeh ani

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 9:57 am
I do now, but I didn’t always.

When I was working full-time and had small children at home, every moment before leaving to work in the morning was taken up by getting myself and the children ready for the day. I had no time for formal davening (at least in my view), so I contented myself with the view that women only need a short (informal) tefillah, and I left it at that.

After a number of years, I looked around and asked myself how much difference there was between my day-to-day life and that of my non-Jewish colleagues (who were also working to support their families and raising kids, etc.) Aside from a few hastily mumbled Brachos, I didn’t see much difference. That’s when I started davening a full davening on my way to work. Not ideal - but the best I could do at that time. To strengthen it, I decided that I would not eat before davening (which really forces me to fit it in and not rely on excuses.)

Fast forward more than 20 years. I now no longer have small children at home, and I felt that davening on the way to work is no longer the best I can do, so I make it a point to get up half hour earlier than I would like, in order to daven at home before leaving to work.

Point is that different stages in life may lead to different davening, but as long as we are doing our best . . . אחד המרבה ואחד המנעט ובלבד שיכון לבו לשמים . . .

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
As mother of a bunch of children and working I know I do not have a chiyuv in the full davening of my high school days. I just still feel guilty if I skip parts of davening. So I’m just curious how many women actually do daven a full davening, the same things they did as when they were single?

I don’t daven at all from a siddur if that helps your guilt
I talk to Hashem in my own words randomly throughout the day

MommyM

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 10:31 am
I say a few important parts of davening every day, but I no longer have time to daven completely as a mother of a few small children. I don't feel guilty as I believe my primary avodah now is to be taking care of my children and family.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 10:33 am
I don't remember when I started adding in bits and pieces gradually. But when my kids were little (and when I was involved in eldercare without kids around) I would daven brachos and more often that not, Shema and Shemona Esrei. But there were many not days.

jewishmom6

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:28 am
I just manage to daven brachos.

Last edited by jewishmom6 on Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:35 am
I’m lucky if I can daven brachos and shema everyday

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:42 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I say nishmas every day and daven in my own words.

You might want to ask a shailah about this, I’m pretty sure it’s more important to say brachos/shema/shemonah esrei, or any combination thereof, instead of nishmas, in the same amount of time.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 11:52 am
I do.

When my eldest was starting to apply to high school, I realized how much I need siyata dishmaya. In the years prior I went through times when I could say more than others. At the time my youngest was 2, which was much easier. Babies are unpredictable.

Coinciding with the bus coming early for my children (it’s crazy that they have to be on a bus so long), it was prime time to daven before I went to work.

Recently I managed to add some of the korbanos, especially after there was those texts going around when Covid hit that people should say Kitores.

I’m not here to brag, but I felt I needed to chime in. It’s a half hour, an amount of time I easily waste on imamother. Most days I don’t have kavanah, but I think it’s important to set a specific zman and a specific location to dedicate to davening. It’s avodah.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 1:16 pm
I do not, and I also do not feel guilty about it at all.
Im doing what im supposed to be doing, why would I feel guilty...
I do talk to Hashem all day long in my own words.

farm

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 2:46 pm
I have either been in school or working full time since marriage. BH I have always davened a ‘regular’ shacharis like I did in high school. I set my alarm early so I have the extra 25-30 minutes. The hardest time was after my second kid was born and not sleeping thru the night and such a slow nurser. I would daven while nursing him in the recliner as I couldn’t imagine setting an alarm early enough for half an hour davening and then half an hour nursing. I felt pretty guilty about davening shemona esrei in that position and probably should’ve asked a sheila.
I actually fell off the mincha bandwagon at some point and couldn’t get back on until something pretty major shook me up and I added mincha kavua as a zechus. BH hardly ever missed since then.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 4:58 pm
I dont.
Im embaressed to say, I dont daven at all during the day.
I talk to Hashem throughout the day but no formal davening.

Was actually going to bring up a thread on this.
iV been thinking, that my kids never see me davening. really bothers me.
my mother would always daven looads at home and im thinking my kids dont see that at all..
and my kids are getting bigger and davening themselves, and they see a really bad example...

what can I do to change that?
obvs I have no time in the morning, getting them off to school, work etc

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 5:17 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I dont.
Im embaressed to say, I dont daven at all during the day.
I talk to Hashem throughout the day but no formal davening.

Was actually going to bring up a thread on this.
iV been thinking, that my kids never see me davening. really bothers me.
my mother would always daven looads at home and im thinking my kids dont see that at all..
and my kids are getting bigger and davening themselves, and they see a really bad example...

what can I do to change that?
obvs I have no time in the morning, getting them off to school, work etc

Same, except whenever I try to daven I have to stop mid-bracha to deal with something....
With covid DH is davening at home more so I try to keep the kids off him while he davens and instill a respect for davening. I hope that's enough.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 5:21 pm
I’m sometimes already proud that I’ve said the brachos hasachar and shema! This Chanukah I tried to daven everyday full sacharis and hallel but this Shabbos I couldn’t barley focus on my tefilas it was basically better I didn’t daven at all xD

QueensMama

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:56 pm
Once I realized I managed to check out my favorite websites despite my busy schedule I realized I could fit mincha in too.

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:22 pm
What about davening on Shobbos and Yom Tov when you don't work?

I think it is important for kids to see mother davening sometimes.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 9:23 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
You might want to ask a shailah about this, I’m pretty sure it’s more important to say brachos/shema/shemonah esrei, or any combination thereof, instead of nishmas, in the same amount of time.

I say Nishmas as a zchus forsomething. It's not a sheila as women aren't mechyav to daven.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics