Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn throwing up..concern?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 6:49 am
Should I be concerned that my Newborn is throwing up.
(I know this is a question for a doctor, but I also want to hear what other mothers think)
She is 1 month old and this week she threw up shabbas, Tuesday, and just now on Friday each time once, and tons comes out like a fountain.
At first I thought it was the way I held her after she ate but she just threw up while relaxing on me not being moved. It looks like 2 cups worth of milk but no actual idea. She is otherwise very healthy and gaining weight

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 6:50 am
If it continues get her checked out.

Could be pyloric stenosis. Which is when the muscle at the base of the stomach gets too tight and doesn’t allow anything out, so it all builds up in the stomach and has to come out via throwing up. My baby had it. And it usually presents at around 4 weeks.

Watch her diapers- if they are dry when you would expect them to be wet go straight to be checked out.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 6:54 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
If it continues get her checked out.

Could be pyloric stenosis. Which is when the muscle at the base of the stomach gets too tight and doesn’t allow anything out, so it all builds up in the stomach and has to come out via throwing up. My baby had it. And it usually presents at around 4 weeks.

Watch her diapers- if they are dry when you would expect them to be wet go straight to be checked out.

Thanks for replying. She has very full diapers and seems to be satisfied for hours after a feed

Cheshire cat

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 6:58 am
It does sound like pyloric stenosis. Symptoms usually intensify from day to day. Is your baby projectile vomiting?
My dd had it at 4-6 weeks.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:02 am
There is a stomach virus going around in newborns now.

Cheshire cat

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:04 am
Pyloric stenosis usually affects babies between 2 and 8 weeks of age, but can occur anytime from birth to 6 months. It is one of the most common problems requiring surgery in newborns

From Google:
Why is Pyloric Stenosis of Concern? Because the stomach opening becomes blocked and babies start vomiting, several problems can happen. The most serious problem is dehydration. When a baby vomits regularly, he or she will not get enough fluids to meet his or her nutritional needs.

Signs include:
Vomiting after feeding. The baby may vomit forcefully, ejecting breast milk or formula up to several feet away (projectile vomiting). ...
Persistent hunger. Babies who have pyloric stenosis often want to eat soon after vomiting.
Stomach contractions. ...
Dehydration. ...
Changes in bowel movements. ...

It's not dangerous if treated on time.

Just sharing this info for you to see if it resonates.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:05 am
Cheshire cat wrote:
It does sound like pyloric stenosis. Symptoms usually intensify from day to day. Is your baby projectile vomiting?
My dd had it at 4-6 weeks.

It usually comes shooting out. Ok thanks I am going to take her to be checked out. Do you think its an emergency that can't wait or can I wait until after shabbas. She seems very comfortable, relaxed, gaining weight, full diapers etc..

Cheshire cat

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:07 am
I think you should call pediatrician to discuss.

The main concern, I think, is malnutrition

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:07 am
My baby did it all the time. He had reflux.

Cheshire cat

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:10 am
When dd had it, we scheduled surgery for the same day, after running some tests. It's not considered "major" surgery. It completely resolves the problem, permanently.

Best case, it might be a passing virus...

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:10 am
Nm

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:25 am
Cheshire cat wrote:
When dd had it, we scheduled surgery for the same day, after running some tests. It's not considered "major" surgery. It completely resolves the problem, permanently.

Best case, it might be a passing virus...

Good luck!

Agreed it’s not major but it needs dealing with as soon as possible.

Cheshire cat

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:32 am
Oh, absolutely!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 10:39 am
OP how is ur baby?

bnm

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:15 pm
It can be reflux. It can be pyloric stenosis. Call the dr and don't postpone.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:17 am
My now 5 yo ds had the symptoms you're describing. He would throw up a few times a day but was gaining weight and making normal diapers. The first time it happened was the day of his bris.
My doctor told me not to worry about it and that he will outgrow it by the time he turn one.
He only stopped when he was close to 18 months but I never actually did anything about it to make it stop. (as per my Dr)
It was annoying for me because I was constantly having to change both of us throughout the day.... But bh it passed and he's totally fine now.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 09 2022, 3:48 am
Op did you ever figure this out? Sounds exactly like what I’m dealing with
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics