Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood Girls high school
  Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 28  29  30  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:46 am
Chayalle wrote:
Yes I agree with this. I went to a top academic high school and I do feel we learned at a higher level than any of Lakewood schools, both secular and Hebrew. However I do think that many students don't get the full benefit of such a school. It sort of catered to the academically capable student and ignored the rest. In some ways, a school that can address the needs of every student is much better.

This is true. But we had options.
You could take college english, economics, psychology or a graphic arts course, or an extra Chumash class or a childcare certification or sewing or bookkeeping. You could take API history or regular history.
For Hebrew We had choices of chumas ivrit b’ivrit or English. There were tracks to accommodate diff needs and wants of girls.
This was a Standard OOT bais Yaakov.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:50 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
This is true. But we had options.
You could take college english, economics, psychology or a graphic arts course, or an extra Chumash class or a childcare certification or sewing or bookkeeping. You could take API history or regular history.
For Hebrew We had choices of chumas ivrit b’ivrit or English. There were tracks to accommodate diff needs and wants of girls.
This was a Standard OOT bais Yaakov.

We had options to take AP classes in 12th grade, but basically it was the same class whether you took the AP's or not. It was just a matter of whether you wanted to pay the college fees and get the credits or not.

Hebrew was the same for everyone, and it was all in Ivrit. No tracks.

I think the best is if a school caters to different types of students. I saw this in BK where I sent my girls and it is, IMVHO, one of the greatest things they offer.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 12:37 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I think the best is if a school caters to different types of students. I saw this in BK where I sent my girls and it is, IMVHO, one of the greatest things they offer.

The problem with tracking is that girls who really can push themselves but don’t want to (or see their friends in the easier tracks) have a hard time. Why should they work so hard (even though they’re capable) if all their friends are having an easy time.

For this specific category of girls tracking can be an issue

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 3:14 pm
I know many have moved past this part of the discussion but, for future reference, I'd like to mention a few things about Chedvas (My daughter is in 9th grade & I know a number of the other families/girls):

Academics: As mentioned the girls are self-tracked, the honors class is on a fairly high level (I can't speak to the other classes) and the school is working hard to accommodate any girls that need even more of a challenge (they also have a great program for those who find the academics more challenging-from what I'm told)

Crowd: It definitely seems to be more of an 'out-of-town' type crowd. Suffice it to say I was far from the only one at parent meetings/pta in a snood and sneakers.

Internet/devices: Like many schools, Chedvas has an issue with girls who got (smart)phones because of Covid, but Chedvas has been very open about the issue & has worked to find a solution. They had a series of 'town-hall' parent meetings before school started and asked for suggestions and cooperation. Before Sukkos, when they saw how hard it was for the girls to give up their phones, they took a huge step...they got tagged phones (no internet, no texting) and made each family buy one. Now, the accepted thing is to have a Chedvas phone, most girls are not texting, and the school is really coming down on any girls caught with phones.

Movies: Again, this is an out-of-town crowd. Many will allow their kids to watch some movies. The list of movies they watch seems to be very limited. They will also read some secular books (but my friends whose girls are in Bais Yaakov, also gives her kids secular books). My daughter says that girls will sometimes discuss books and movies (and sing songs from those movies)but we are talking about classic Disney type films (mary Poppins, Annie, etc). The only one being discussed that doesn't fall into that category is Harry Potter, and it is very popular (at least in my daughter's class). Some girls have read/seen all 7 stories others are stopped at 3 or 4 and there seems to be a respect for that limit. Harry Potter does appeal to a certain type of kid and I imagine that any school that has a group of those will have girls discussing it.

Music: My daughter claims that non-jewish music does not seem to be a major interest among the girls she knows of. There might be some around, but it is minimal.

I believe I mentioned it up-thread, but it pays to repeat that the goal in Chedvas seems to be to reach & teach the girls, not the subject matter. To that end, they do as much as they can to encourage the girls to be doing the right thing and to learn as much as they can, not because they are afraid of the consequences if they don't, but because it is the right thing to do.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 3:35 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Does anyone have info about the school that is just starting next year Tehlles Bais Yakkov?

I have info but cant be posted here. Do a lot of research

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:03 pm
What does that mean?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 4:27 pm
As a ninth grade chedvas parent I'm very happy with the school. The girls seems to be a solid and wholesome crowd. As others mentioned, phones became an issue everywhere over covid. Chedvas addressed it by getting tagged phones however many parents chose not to activate the phones and a significant number of girls do not have cell phones. My daughter doesn't come home talking about movies or non jewish music at all! I hear a bit about brand name coats but you will get than anywhere in Lakewood if not more than I do already. The classes are tracked, when my daughter wanted to bump up for a subject they were very open to discussing it. When I called about an issue with a teacher the school was already aware and it was being addressed already. The school is very approachable and wants parents input. They are honest and upfront about the challenges of raising teenagers in 2021 and want to build solid wholesome girls

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 5:52 pm
Can u explain what u mean about the new school?

Chedvas is definitely on a lower level if it’s bnos Bracha high school. My daughters friends in bnos bracha are on a lower level in math, Chumash, grammar etc

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:54 pm
What is Meiras Bais Yaakov?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 10:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can u explain what u mean about the new school?

Chedvas is definitely on a lower level if it’s bnos Bracha high school. My daughters friends in bnos bracha are on a lower level in math, Chumash, grammar etc

Not necessarily. Bnos bracha girls go to all kind of different high schools and usually catch up. They might have a hard time for the first trimester or so. They do learn more slowly than other schools so they won't cover as much material but their skills are good so a smart girl will manage anywhere.
I do not have a daughter in Chedvas because my girl go to another high school but the level in Chedvas is not defined by level of Bnos bracha ( which happens to be not so bad contrary to popular belief!!)
Each school decides what to put an emphasis on!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 11:55 pm
Thank you! Very helpful

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:34 pm
I just saw an ad meiras bais yaakov is rebbetzin paretsky from monsey. Anyone know anything about her or what kind of school it will be??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:42 pm
I heard mrs bernfeld new school is ritzy heimish type. Is that true??

So many rumors going around

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 11:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just saw an ad meiras bais yaakov is rebbetzin paretsky from monsey. Anyone know anything about her or what kind of school it will be??

where did you see the ad?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 8:56 am
The BP page 78

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I would imagine any school she runs will be on a high academic standard.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 4:33 pm
I just got the Vaad letter about High School.
So, it says to apply to 4 schools and if you do not get in we will help you get into one that you did not apply to. If you do not we will not help you. Is there not a reason why I did not apply to that school?
In other words the Vaad help is not worth much, I can get into a school that I appled to or have the Vaad put me in a school that I do not want.

So ether way you have to fight for your self

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 6:01 pm
Anyone know if they wear their uniform to entrance exam? My daughter isn’t sure

keym

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 6:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone know if they wear their uniform to entrance exam? My daughter isn’t sure

Last year they did.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jan 14 2021, 6:36 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I just got the Vaad letter about High School.
So, it says to apply to 4 schools and if you do not get in we will help you get into one that you did not apply to. If you do not we will not help you. Is there not a reason why I did not apply to that school?
In other words the Vaad help is not worth much, I can get into a school that I appled to or have the Vaad put me in a school that I do not want.

So ether way you have to fight for your self

They wrote that they'll try to get you into one of your choices, but they can't promise. They won't purposely try for a school you don't want.
Page 6 of 30   Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 28  29  30  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries