Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood Girls high school
  Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 28  29  30  Next

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:13 pm
small bean wrote:
The reason I like it is because it's middle class. They are not trying to be the best at anything. It's just a school for girls.

I'm very not elitest.

Same. Exactly this. And because they are not elitist, they are able to focus on real chinuch, instead of on externals.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:23 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Same. Exactly this. And because they are not elitist, they are able to focus on real chinuch, instead of on externals.

Is there an issue with girls coming from homes that don’t follow school rules?
I’m asking because although we are BY type, my daughter would never manage in BY academically and what was written about BK sounds very nice. I didn’t really think bk was a good option for us at first. I’m the mother of a current 7th grader so I’m closely following this thread.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 12:39 pm
I'm the mother who's daughter is in Oros.
She has good friends in Bais Yaakov, Bais Shaindel, Bais Kaila, and Aderes.
They all share the same stories. Girls who own smartphones, are on social media, watch things, bring mp3 with non Jewish music to school.
I don't think Bais Kaila has significantly more percentage than other schools.
That's what I see.
Good girls will gravitate towards other good girls.

small bean

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 1:43 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I'm the mother who's daughter is in Oros.
She has good friends in Bais Yaakov, Bais Shaindel, Bais Kaila, and Aderes.
They all share the same stories. Girls who own smartphones, are on social media, watch things, bring mp3 with non Jewish music to school.
I don't think Bais Kaila has significantly more percentage than other schools.
That's what I see.
Good girls will gravitate towards other good girls.

This!
There is no school that is immune.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 1:59 pm
Anyone know how the oros interveiw is like?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 2:58 pm
What do they ask at aderes interview? My daughter has aderes interview this week

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 3:25 pm
small bean wrote:
In the beginning, I wasn't even thinking of applying there. It slowly became my first choice but not my daughters. She is an overachiever and wanted oros.

The reason I like it is because it's middle class. They are not trying to be the best at anything. It's just a school for girls.

I'm very not elitest. We live an out of the box lifestyle. We don't fit into neat boxes etc. So middle class works best for me.

My daughter will do well in any school. That's her type so I don't really care which school as long as she is happy.

Wow, are you me? Could have written this word for word. My daughters went to BK, and yes, after going to a pretentious elementary school (with amazing qualities), it was a breath of fresh air to be in such a warm, non judgemental environment in Lakewood. I feel like wearing a sandwich board "Don't try to fit us in a box, it won't work!"

small bean

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 3:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do they ask at aderes interview? My daughter has aderes interview this week

I ws really impressed with the atmosphere at the school.

She didn't ask any direct question to me or my husband (father's are not needed to be there, I didn't know that.) She asked my daughter what she heard about aderes, what she likes to do. Then open navi and read a random passuk and rashi. She did not neednto translate. Really very easy.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:11 pm
Is there enough slots? I heard that there is 1,430 girls from Lakewood that need to get into High school, and every school wants to cut down on the amount of girls they take this year.

small bean

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:38 pm
There is never enough slots. Maybe the 2 mew schools will open with parallel classes

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Is there enough slots? I heard that there is 1,430 girls from Lakewood that need to get into High school, and every school wants to cut down on the amount of girls they take this year.

This reminds me of the year my oldest DD applied to high school. At that time Oros interviewed both parents, and one of the questions DH and I were asked, of course, was why were choosing to apply to Oros. At that time, Oros had one class per grade, so I told the administrator that this was attractive to me - the smaller school atmosphere, etc....

I'll never forget his response. He told me that there were approximately 600 eight graders that year that needed to be accommodated in high school. He said there were about 2400 girls in Primary B"AH. That means, he said, that we have 9 years to quadruple the number of high school slots available to Lakewood applicants. He said, we aren't going to remain a small school.

So 1430 girls sounds low, actually. I bet there are more than that.....

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:49 pm
Chayalle wrote:
This reminds me of the year my oldest DD applied to high school. At that time Oros interviewed both parents, and one of the questions DH and I were asked, of course, was why were choosing to apply to Oros. At that time, Oros had one class per grade, so I told the administrator that this was attractive to me - the smaller school atmosphere, etc....

I'll never forget his response. He told me that there were approximately 600 eight graders that year that needed to be accommodated in high school. He said there were about 2400 girls in Primary B"AH. That means, he said, that we have 9 years to quadruple the number of high school slots available to Lakewood applicants. He said, we aren't going to remain a small school.

So 1430 girls sounds low, actually. I bet there are more than that.....

The truth is since then, Oros has quadrupled. My daughter's there in 9th grade.
There are 4 of each classes, but the class size remains under 28/29 which leaves it still a "small" Lakewood high school.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 1:52 pm
The truth is since then, Oros has quadrupled. My daughter's there in 9th grade.
There are 4 of each classes, but the class size remains under 28/29 which leaves it still a "small" Lakewood high school.

That's bigger than the high school I went to, which was the big high school in the community I grew up in.

Sorry, but that's not small in my definition, not by a long shot.

Small, my dear, according to Chayalle's dictionary, would be one class, with max maybe 25 students, per grade.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 8:57 pm
When do people get acceptance letters/calls? My daughter is accepted to the school her sister goes to, but she wants to wait and see if a specific school will accept her. I’m a little afraid to wait, especially since we’re not unhappy with the older sister’s school.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 8:59 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
When do people get acceptance letters/calls? My daughter is accepted to the school her sister goes to, but she wants to wait and see if a specific school will accept her. I’m a little afraid to wait, especially since we’re not unhappy with the older sister’s school.

You need to speak with her principal.
Last year first wave of acceptances went out around Shavuos time.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:02 pm
You need to speak with her principal.
Last year first wave of acceptances went out around Shavuos time.

So should I be shocked that her sister’s school called me already? She wants to go to Bais Kaila. We had both student and parents interview, but it sounds like they interview everyone.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:04 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
So should I be shocked that her sister’s school called me already? She wants to go to Bais Kaila. We had both student and parents interview, but it sounds like they interview everyone.

I think siblings schools accept much earlier.
That's why I said you really need to talk to her principal.

small bean

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:06 pm
No, they need to know how many to accept after siblings.

Aderes and BK told me, likely around june. Unless the schools are prepared before.

Maybe find out if you take the slot, if you won't get in to BK. Then you can always back out and give the slot to someone else.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:41 pm
Chayalle wrote:
That's bigger than the high school I went to, which was the big high school in the community I grew up in.

Sorry, but that's not small in my definition, not by a long shot.

Small, my dear, according to Chayalle's dictionary, would be one class, with max maybe 25 students, per grade.

Everything is perspective, someone I know who dos seminery applicants said she once was reading 2 applications back 2 back.

One was from a small town in the Midwest were the girl said she is in a small school because there are 100 girls in the whole school.

One was from Lakewood were the girl said she is in a small school because there are only 100 girls in her grade.

BEEDEE0427

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:25 pm
Im moving from Brooklyn to Lakewood and want to apply for next year for a high school- my daughter will be in 11th grade. Is it super late now? Thinking Bais Leah will be suitable, but is it very hard to get in? Any other schools that are similar to Bais Leah that I can even try?
I hear it can be impossible..
Page 8 of 30   Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 28  29  30  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries