Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Shopping in Israel
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 3:29 pm
I’m doing Aliyah in a few months and I think the hardest thing for me to give up is Amazon! Lol. I buy so many things on amazon and everything I buy online (except groceries).
How do people shop in Israel? Especially now during the pandemic, and women with small kids at home, how do they shop? Let’s say you just want to buy a couple of new shirts for your kids, you actually go out to stores?! When? How? There is no Sunday for days off to go out and shop. Sorry, I got so used to the convenience of shopping online. If anyone in Israel shops online, which websites do you recommend and what’s the estimated delivery days?

I know it’s a matter of getting used to but most likely I won’t have a car and won’t have babysitter at first and wouldn’t want to travel with kids each time I need something to buy.

Thanks

essie14

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 10:49 am
All the clothing stores have websites.
During the pandemic I ordered from Carters Israel, terminal x (israeli site for many stores) and others.
There are also sites from the EU which ship to Israel. Next, asos, George.
the online supermarkets sell everything. Food, cleaning supplies, paper goods, etc.
I basically only go into a store for fruits and vegetables because I have a large family with older kids who eat a ton.
But otherwise, everything gets delivered.
During quarantine we also got deliveries from farms and produce stores. Now that it's easier to shop, I find it easier to shop in person for produce.
Toy stores all deliver.
Yes, it's not like Amazon where the items are at your door in 24 hours, but it's manageable.

You might have to be a little more organized because you can't just order toilet paper in 1 day, but it's very do-able.

Are you going to be working full time?

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:03 am
You can order online from abroad. Unfortunately Amazon charges a fortune for delivery, but if you want something special it's worth it. Next, Asos and some others offer free delivery (I think you need a minimum order). But make sure you don't order more than $75 worth of goods from the same site on the same day, or you will need to pay taxes once it gets to Israel.

People also order from Israeli sites. And yes, people still shop here.

BTW most people have Friday off instead of Sunday.

chanchy123

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:48 am
There’s a lot of online shopping in Israel, especially for kids clothes. Although we don’t have Sunday off we do have Friday off for the most part. Before corona Friday was a day when kids are at school and most adult are off, so it’s a day when you can catch up on shopping or go for brunch.

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:52 am
LOL, people actually went to stores for years before online shopping became available. It's not a big deal to go out and buy a shirt or two. I find if I get my groceries delivered, there is not really much shopping needed.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:57 am
I get my boys clothes from next. My girls I could usually do fine at Bazaar Strauss and Leader. My preteen girls I took to kidichic.
We have a socks/tights store in the neighborhood that delivers.
I get most of our toiletries at Shaul Tamrukim.
The Ramot mall is most convenient for me.

Rappel

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 12:35 pm
Like everyone else said: Next, and delivered groceries, cover 90% of my shopping. I'm in the middle of putting in an order for a toy delivery as we speak.

(And for those whom followed my angsty posts about deliveries to Itamar - there's a new traveling toy truck that does! We're officially on the map!)

Mazal tov on your aliyah! May this be the worst of your worries!)

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 1:35 pm
It happens to be that now is the perfect time to move for anyone with such worries because online shopping has become so much more convenient here due to covid.
Obviously this isn't the US and there's no Amazon prime but there's tons of options for everything with delivery from clothes to groceries, cosmetics, toys etc.
Delivery of everything besides groceries can take up to a week, unless ordering from abroad - that could take longer.

Hatzlacha!

Teomima

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 2:36 pm
essie14 wrote:
All the clothing stores have websites.
During the pandemic I ordered from Carters Israel, terminal x (israeli site for many stores) and others.
There are also sites from the EU which ship to Israel. Next, asos, George.
the online supermarkets sell everything. Food, cleaning supplies, paper goods, etc.
I basically only go into a store for fruits and vegetables because I have a large family with older kids who eat a ton.
But otherwise, everything gets delivered.
During quarantine we also got deliveries from farms and produce stores. Now that it's easier to shop, I find it easier to shop in person for produce.
Toy stores all deliver.
Yes, it's not like Amazon where the items are at your door in 24 hours, but it's manageable.

You might have to be a little more organized because you can't just order toilet paper in 1 day, but it's very do-able.

This exactly. All of it.

Pandemic aside, normally I do have at least one kid with me any time I go shopping, often more. But it's normal here. Everyone has kids with them all the time. These days though I prefer online shopping, or to run errands the rare occasions when I can get out alone, or to schedule it so I have as few kids with me as possible.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m doing Aliyah in a few months and I think the hardest thing for me to give up is Amazon! Lol. I buy so many things on amazon and everything I buy online (except groceries).
How do people shop in Israel? Especially now during the pandemic, and women with small kids at home, how do they shop? Let’s say you just want to buy a couple of new shirts for your kids, you actually go out to stores?! When? How? There is no Sunday for days off to go out and shop. Sorry, I got so used to the convenience of shopping online. If anyone in Israel shops online, which websites do you recommend and what’s the estimated delivery days?

I know it’s a matter of getting used to but most likely I won’t have a car and won’t have babysitter at first and wouldn’t want to travel with kids each time I need something to buy.

Thanks
Even outside of Israel, not everyone buys things only on line. Smile
As for no sunday's, you just get used to that and shift things around and shop when you are able. Its not really a big deal. That how people do it all over the world (who dont buy tings on line) Smile

I love(d) actually going to stores. Pre pandemic, we never did on line shopping. Its nice going into stores too, and I hate shopping, but thats how people do things Smile

And mazal Tov on your impending aliyah. So many things to learn and get used to. It will work out. I promise Smile

Rabbit613

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 3:39 pm
I order my kids clothes online from zara and next.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 5:58 pm
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I plan to work full time, so I do wonder how people have time to shop in person. I know most have Fridays off but that would be a day of cooking and cleaning for me. It’s just a matter of getting used to. I was born in the 80s so when I was young, I don’t remember not having enough shoes or clothes, my parents went to stores and I had everything I needed. It’s just something we all got used to over here... buying everything online and fast delivery. Amazon deliveries are fast but at least I know that people in Israel do shop online even if it takes more than a few days for it to be delivered, I could live with that.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 6:12 pm
How do you shop online in Israel if you don't have a teudat zehut? Every time I've tried, mostly for groceries, I've run into this problem.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I plan to work full time, so I do wonder how people have time to shop in person. I know most have Fridays off but that would be a day of cooking and cleaning for me. It’s just a matter of getting used to. I was born in the 80s so when I was young, I don’t remember not having enough shoes or clothes, my parents went to stores and I had everything I needed. It’s just something we all got used to over here... buying everything online and fast delivery. Amazon deliveries are fast but at least I know that people in Israel do shop online even if it takes more than a few days for it to be delivered, I could live with that.

We work full-time too, but it's not so bad. Groceries = most of our weekly purchases. Other purchases are occasional enough that we can find time during the week.

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:07 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
How do you shop online in Israel if you don't have a teudat zehut? Every time I've tried, mostly for groceries, I've run into this problem.

You mean if you're using an international cc? Link your card to your PayPal account, and pay through PayPal.

juggling

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:15 am

This won't be an issue for OP, because when you make aliyah you get a TZ. Not an issue for me, either, as I do have one. But I'm pretty sure the only thing you need a TZ for is credit card processing. Try entering a random 9-digit number with your non-Israeli card and see if that works. Or call customer service and see if they can process your card over the phone.

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:31 am
juggling wrote:
This won't be an issue for OP, because when you make aliyah you get a TZ. Not an issue for me, either, as I do have one. But I'm pretty sure the only thing you need a TZ for is credit card processing. Try entering a random 9-digit number with your non-Israeli card and see if that works. Or call customer service and see if they can process your card over the phone.

Again -- using PayPal circumvents the card-to-TZ screening process. So that's how we use CC's which aren't linked to our TZ

juggling

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:35 am
Rappel wrote:
Again -- using PayPal circumvents the card-to-TZ screening process. So that's how we use CC's which aren't linked to our TZ

That's smart. If you have to dispute a charge does PayPal offer the same type of protection as the credit card does?

Teomima

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Keep in mind even though shopping online is an easy option here, returns are a little more tricky than Amazon in the States.

But yes, you find time even with working a full schedule. Do more cooking Thursday evening to free up Friday. Hit the store on your way home from work. Run errands on your lunch break. Go after work even if that means taking kids with you. Leave the kids home with their father in the evening and go out by yourself. You manage to find time.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:23 am

You can use any TZ, not only yours.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions