Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Find wimple in Washington heights
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:59 am
Has anyone ever tried finding a wimple in Washington heights?
If the shul it was given to was closed is there a place it would be now?
Is there someone to call to get a specific one

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:40 am
If the shul it was given to is closed you have to find out what they did with their vimples.

There’s not national vimple registry 😆

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:41 am
Which shul?

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:43 am
KAJ/ Breuer's, I assume. No, it's certainly not closed.

Call the office, maybe.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:49 am
gold21 wrote:

Call the office, maybe.

You know there are/were other Shuls in the Heights.

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:54 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
You know there are/were other Shuls in the Heights.

Um, yeah. I know all the shuls. I also know that the majority of wimples from time gone by (as it sounds in OP's case) were brought in Breuer's. Not a definite, but a probability.

moonstone

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:55 am
OK, I'll bite. What is a wimple/vimple? I've only heard of wimples as something nuns wear, but I doubt that's what you're talking about.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:04 am
moonstone wrote:
OK, I'll bite. What is a wimple/vimple? I've only heard of wimples as something nuns wear, but I doubt that's what you're talking about.

https://www.chabad.org/library.....l.htm

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:04 am
moonstone wrote:

It’s an old yekkish custom. Piece of linen used to wrap the baby’s legs by a bris, the linen is then cut into long strips and sewn together to be used in place of a garter on a Sefer torah. You write and decorate the child’s name and his birthdate and that he should grow ltorah lchupa lmaasim Tovim etc. back in the day I believe it was a whole Sefer yichisin, but today we generally just put child’s name and fathers name. When the child is weaned /toilet trained he brings the vimple to shul. Traditionally one grandfather gets hagbaha and one grandfather gets gelilah and the vimple is used on a Torah for the first time. Usually there is a kiddush to celebrate. The vimple is used on the Sefer torah for child’s bar mitvah and ‘aufruf’ (yekkis don’t generally make a celebration but chosson does get an aliyah Shabbos before wedding). The old custom was to wrap it around the chupa as well. It follows a person through his religious milestones in life.

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:24 am
Yeah, it's the white cloth under the baby's pillow at the bris. Then it's prepared for the third birthday. (There's no upsherin)

You can decorate it and make it look really nice.

"John Doe b-n Doe John Nolad L'Mazal Tov date date Taf Shin Pay Aleph Yigadlo L'Torah L'Chuppah U'L'Maasim Tovim"

Then you get called up to wrap it around the Torah during Gelila on or around your third birthday

And viola, party time- wimpel kiddush

And then the shul keeps it and rotates it's use with all the other wimples during Gelila

And they take it out and use it special for you for your bar mitzvah and special milestones and stuff like that

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:53 am
gold21 wrote:

Call the office, maybe.

It was one of 2 smaller Shuls that are now closed. Not the main one. Maybe I’ll call the kehilla office

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:56 am
gold21 wrote:
Yeah, it's the white cloth under the baby's pillow at the bris. Then it's prepared for the third birthday. (There's no upsherin)

You can decorate it and make it look really nice.

"John Doe b-n Doe John Nolad L'Mazal Tov date date Taf Shin Pay Aleph Yigadlo L'Torah L'Chuppah U'L'Maasim Tovim"

Then you get called up to wrap it around the Torah during Gelila on or around your third birthday

And viola, party time- wimpel kiddush

And then the shul keeps it and rotates it's use with all the other wimples during Gelila

And they take it out and use it special for you for your bar mitzvah and special milestones and stuff like that

We keep our sons at home framed. Used it for bar mitzvah and iyH their auf Ruf.

It’s an old Minhag - they recently found from r’ Akiva eigers in the attic of a museum.
https://www.ojm.at/blog/wp-con.....r.pdf

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It’s an old Minhag - they recently found from r’ Akiva eigers in the attic of a museum.

That's so nice!! I like that idea. Ours are all in a shul lol.

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It was one of 2 smaller Shuls that are now closed. Not the main one. Maybe I’ll call the kehilla office

Shaarei HaTikvah? I dunno. Good Luck on your hunt!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Curious about this. How do you frame it? I always wanted to do that, but it’s so long so I never thought it was possible.

How did you do it?

moonstone

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:24 pm
Thanks for the explanations. I should have googled "Jewish wimple."

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:25 pm
If the Kehilla office doesn’t have information, maybe try to contact an old member of the Shul that no longer exists. Hatzlacha rabba, it’s a beautiful minhag!!

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:50 pm
moonstone wrote:
Thanks for the explanations. I should have googled "Jewish wimple."

I googled it too and was utterly confused.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:03 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Curious about this. How do you frame it? I always wanted to do that, but it’s so long so I never thought it was possible.

How did you do it?

I once found large portrait frames. The height is right. I just fold it inside many times.
It’s nice bec when we tell ppl about it my boys can show it.

I don’t have the gorgeous embroidered way. I just outlined mine in marker with some ivy. But they are still pretty and unusual enough that ppl enjoy seeing and hearing their history.

The link I included above about rabbi Akiva Eiger gives lots of additional info.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:21 pm
Hamodia had a beautiful article on wimples, including pictures of Rabbi Akiva Eiger's. Not sure if it's online.''
ETA: OP, sorry if my immediate reaction was annoying.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics