Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Garbage collector can't get tips. Neither should therapists.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:22 am
Like judges. It's bad to be biased.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:36 am
While I don’t agree that tips are to be expected by therapists or by anyone, nor should the lack of a tip be something to be upset about, I think taking it away completely isn’t fair. Parents who would like to show appreciation to their therapists in the form of a tip or any way they like should have a choice to do so. No, it is not the same as a judge.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:38 am
Ok. But according to your logic why should teachers be able to?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:39 am
It’s nothing like a judge. Judges literally decide if someone is guilty or not, so bribing them can be detrimental to someone’s fate.
Garbage collectors do their route regardless of if you tip them or not.
Therapists see you regardless if you tip them or not.
I’m a speech therapist, and I have favorites, as most therapists do. If my least favorite kid’s mother gives me a chanuka present, it doesn’t make a difference in our relationship or the services I provide. Same goes for my favorite client.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:42 am
I don’t really care if the therapist gets tips from another parent. I’m a little shocked at the number of therapists on this site moaning about the lack of tips but I really don’t think they’re from Lakewood, the dynamics are too different. As long as it isn’t my child’s provider who’s angling or a gift I’m fine with it.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:46 am
I don't think it should be illegal but I do think it shouldn't be expected.

Why on earth do I pay tuition?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I don’t really care if the therapist gets tips from another parent. I’m a little shocked at the number of therapists on this site moaning about the lack of tips but I really don’t think they’re from Lakewood, the dynamics are too different. As long as it isn’t my child’s provider who’s angling or a gift I’m fine with it.

What’s different about the Lakewood dynamics?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:00 am
My mother always tipped our garbage men in Baltimore. She thought they put the cans back nicer the rest of the year
Where I live now it’s automated and we don’t tip.
Anyways we have a closer relationship with speech therapists then out garbage men.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:03 am
Where I live (Monsey), most people tip the sanitation workers (regular trash + the recycling trash - 2 different group of people) and the mailman. They're not allowed to ask for it but it's kind of the unspoken request. They usually leave a holiday greeting card in everyone's mailbox as a subtle reminder.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Like judges. It's bad to be biased.

Then why do teachers get tips? They will be biased against the students who don't give

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Then why do teachers get tips? They will be biased against the students who don't give

True that's idea, some people tip rebbe / teachers so that they handle their children well because unfortunately some teachers do.
Although, I treated every student equally, regardless of check amount, but I did hear this talk, in teacher's room

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:19 am
Garbage collectors get tips in the suburbs.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 7:53 pm
S/o question: how much to tip sanitation and postal service workers?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Where I live (Monsey), most people tip the sanitation workers (regular trash + the recycling trash - 2 different group of people) and the mailman. They're not allowed to ask for it but it's kind of the unspoken request. They usually leave a holiday greeting card in everyone's mailbox as a subtle reminder.

I never knew this. How do I tip them? I'm either not available or home when they come. We have zero relationship. (Garbage comes like 5 am and the mailman smack in middle of the day at 2)

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:12 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

I didn't know that people tip garbage collectors. I'm actually scared of our garbage collectors, they're so low, yelling curse words and spitting on the ground. They yell at the kids. They once yelled at me "bring me some **** cold water." If I'm outside when they come, I go inside fast. They leave such a mess behind and leave the garbage cans in middle of the road. I used to tip the mailman but we got a new one that's almost worth nothing. We don't get our mail every other day and he doesn't take packages because he doesn't want to carry it to the truck. He also puts the entire blocks mail into one mailbox. We all mail out important mail from different mailboxes because otherwise it doesn't always get taken. We've called USPS countless times, there's no one to talk to. I don't think he deserves a tip.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:49 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I never knew this. How do I tip them? I'm either not available or home when they come. We have zero relationship. (Garbage comes like 5 am and the mailman smack in middle of the day at 2)

Mailmen I leave sticking out of mailbox and write for mailman. They look out for it. (I know our current mailman’s name now so I’ll put that on it). I always get a handwritten thank you card back.
My mother used to tape the tip to the garbage can. But then men used to get the garbage cans. Now it’s much more automated.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:09 pm
Of course tipping teachers and therapists should be illegal. It is where I live.

This whole tipping teachers culture cheapens education.

trixx

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

Nope, just appreciative to the ones who do.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:18 pm
trixx wrote:
Nope, just appreciative to the ones who do.

That's the same thing. If a teacher is extra appreciative to a pupil whose parents gave a big tip, that's favoritism. That has no place in the classroom.

I am a teacher myself, and I would find it very difficult to be equally strict with a pupil whose mother slipped me a wad of money the day before. I would feel as if I owe her something.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 10:06 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Of course tipping teachers and therapists should be illegal. It is where I live.

This whole tipping teachers culture cheapens education.

Absolutely! That's how it's done in the MO school system. Salaries are better than in right wing schools, which requires higher tuition. But you don't have money changing hands between parents and teachers.

Tipping reduces teachers to service providers, rather than treating them as professionals. I don't tip my doctor.

And השחד יעור עיני חכמים ויסלף דברי צדיקם. Even the most evenhanded teacher is affected by a gift. Tipping creates (perpetuates?) a system in which rich kids get better treatment than poor ones. Not ok.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics