Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, or 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:15 pm
Thanks for your insight.

I am renovating a house 20x60. On my floor of bedrooms, I can either make four bedrooms with 3 bathrooms, or 5 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms.

If it’s five bedrooms, the fifth will be really small, a bunk bed and dresser. I’ll be able to have all my kids on the same floor for sleeping.

The four bedrooms will give my kids an extra bathroom and shower, but my two oldest will sleep in the basement, two flights down.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:17 pm
How many kids so you have or plan on having, and how many bedrooms and bathrooms total including basement?
I would probably opt for 5 and 2, but it depends.

sub

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:26 pm
Can you have 5 smaller bedrooms and 2 full bath and one 1/2 bath?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:29 pm
I think I'd sooner put 5 bedrooms, as long as you have an extra bathroom downstairs.
If you put your two oldest downstairs, would they have a bathroom there?

amother
Beige

I'd probably do the 5 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms

amother
Bisque

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your insight.

I am renovating a house 20x60. On my floor of bedrooms, I can either make four bedrooms with 3 bathrooms, or 5 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms.

If it’s five bedrooms, the fifth will be really small, a bunk bed and dresser. I’ll be able to have all my kids on the same floor for sleeping.

The four bedrooms will give my kids an extra bathroom and shower, but my two oldest will sleep in the basement, two flights down.

Everyone on one floor

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:31 pm
How old are your oldest? If teens, I'd put them downstairs.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:33 pm
I'd take the bedrooms so we could live more.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your insight.

It sounds like you have at least 6 kids, maybe more. 8 to 10 people with only 2 bathrooms is not ideal. Nor is a tiny bedroom that fits only a set of bunk beds and a dresser (for 2 kids?). Go with 4 bedrooms upstairs, 1 downstairs. You're going to wind up with that in the long run anyway, when they're old enough to demand more room, so might as well have an extra bathroom.

Last edited by SixOfWands on Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:38 pm
Thank you all.

They are teenagers, boys.

I can’t have a half bathroom

There is a full bathroom in basement

My concern of five bedrooms upstairs, is that the limited bathrooms will be a challenge. Anyone have such a layout?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:40 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'd take the bedrooms so we could live more.

Are you saying five bedrooms upstairs? The bedroom in the basement will be there regardless if we do 5 bedrooms upstairs.

GetReal

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:43 pm
When my husband was a teenager he was happier to have his own space in the basement. Go with that.

lucky14

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all.

They are teenagers, boys.

I can’t have a half bathroom

There is a full bathroom in basement

My concern of five bedrooms upstairs, is that the limited bathrooms will be a challenge. Anyone have such a layout?

Can't they always use the bathroom downstairs if someone really needs it and there isn't one available? If you have to move some kids down to the basement are you taking up basement space that could be used for something else? What are the disadvantages of moving some older kids to the basement?

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:55 pm
I would do 5 bedrooms 2 bathrooms

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:56 pm
I'd go with the 3 bathrooms over the extra bedroom.

tweety1

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:02 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
How old are your oldest? If teens, I'd put them downstairs.

I had a similar choice and I chose an extra bathroom. Not exactly your layout but with other rooms involved. I don't regret the decision for a second. Another bathroom always comes to use, especially when it comes to bathing/taking showers.
Especially especially if it's teens involved. A smaller bedroom you might not enjoy as much as an extra bathroom. Think of it, you know what another toilet/bathtub/shower is worth?? Gold in my opinion.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:12 pm
I built my house. In my development, the original plan was to have five bedrooms upstairs with two bathrooms. That is what most people put in. I opted to put three bathrooms upstairs and five bedrooms. Right now I only have three kids, but it's very helpful to be able to give three baths at the same time. One bathroom is really a guest bathroom that is attached to two bedrooms. I happen to love having another bathroom, but I don't know if I would be happier having four bedrooms over another bathroom.

doctorima

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:17 pm
How do your kids feel about it, and what do they want? If they are independent and want their own space and won't feel left out, then go 4/3 and give the older ones their own space in the basement. If the family is tight-knit and feelings will be hurt if kids are separated, that would be a reason to go 5/2. Also keep in mind that BE"H your kids will one day come to you when they're married with their own families, so the separate sleeping space in the basement will definitely come in handy.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:21 pm
5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, put an extra sink in the hallway for washing and shaving.

Just One

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:36 pm
Definitely 5 bedrooms two baths. I assume there's a bath on the main floor + one in the basement that you mentioned. I think that extra bedroom will come in handy way more than an extra bathroom. Especially as those teens will be turning into couples sooner than later and extra bedrooms are always great on yom tov or anytime family gets together.

But maybe this is just the Brooklynite in me talking....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics