Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Overnight training

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 6:43 am
My ds has been toilet trained during the day for 2.5 years. However, at night he still wets the bed very often. We've limited drinking closer to bedtime and he uses the bathroom right before getting into bed. I'll take him to the bathroom again before I go to bed and generally on those nights he won't wet the bed. Any ideas of how to train him to stay dry overnight or wake up on his own to use the bathroom at night? TIA

amother
Green

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 6:54 am
I don't bother, a lot of kids just train at older ages. I use pull-ups.

A friend suggested putting him to sleep on a few towels and covering him with a towel. This way if they wet the bed it is contained but immediately feels cold and wet. She claimed that after a few days they woke up.

Teomima

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:27 am
I'd take my kids to the bathroom before I went to bed for a long time. You say on the nights you do, he stays dry. So just keep up with it. Or else put him in diapers and let it go for a bit longer, if he's not ready. Accidents aren't pleasant for anyone. Mine all night trained with half a year to a year after being day trained, though I never pushed potty training early.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 10:05 am
I just did pullups until the pullup was dry in the morning. That was the easiest for me. A lot of children take longer to train overnight.

miami85

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 11:44 am
Night training has more to do with hormones than knowledge. There's a hormonal reaction that triggers your brain to know it has to go, and also one that causes it NOT to flow freely. Some kids develop this hormone later. Until it kicks in do all the mitigation tactics of less fluids before bed, going to the bathroom--even 2-3 times if necessary before bed to make sure they let out as much as possible, but not all kids need to wake up at night to go. Since conquering overnight, ny kids go to the bathroom during the night like never--maybe 2-3 times ever, and I have 3 that are fully toilet trained.

One thing I have done when there was a time that they were wet overnight is put the pull-up on top of the underwear that way they get used to wearing underwear, but the pull up is there just in case and then you have less laundry during the day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training