Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 15 month old only naps in a stroller/ Ferber method
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 1:33 pm
I sleep trained my son using the Ferber method about 2 months ago he now goes to bed for the night really nicely! Problem is he still needs to be wheeled to rest if I put him in his crib he just cries and nothing helps so I just switch him to the stroller and wheel him to sleep. Anyone ever had this?? Any suggestions? Unless his schedule is off I follow a 5 hour wake window

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:19 pm
One of my kids was like this. She went to bed nicely at night so I just left it as is. But she dropped her nap by 18 months latest and until today I cannot get her to nap no matter what (she is 6)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:45 pm
Oy I hope not I went back to work about a month ago and my babysitter is going crazy from having to wheel him because she watches 2 other children

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 3:05 pm
Do the same thing you did for the night for naps. Expect some more protesting but you have to teach independent nap sleep.
5 hours before nap and 5.5/6 hours after nap sounds good. My 13 month old has that schedule.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 3:54 pm
I was ok with more protesting than usual but once it reaches and hour my heart can’t let him cry longer so I take him out. The schedule does seem right because he’s not tired before

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 4:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was ok with more protesting than usual but once it reaches and hour my heart can’t let him cry longer so I take him out. The schedule does seem right because he’s not tired before

The older the kid, the more they cry because they are smarter...I don't have much advice because I sleep train for nights and naps at 3 months, so by the time they are toddlers it's so ingrained in them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 4:23 pm
Wow! I never knew people can do so young. Just curious with the Ferber method or something else?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 4:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

An hour of crying is a really long time.

Motherhood

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:15 pm
I did the Ferber method too, and rocked him in his carriage for his naps. I also couldn’t handle the hour of screaming and felt that naps and night sleep are not the same. As long as you don’t mind, I would let it go.
FTR, how long does your baby sleep once he actually falls asleep in the carriage? If he can nap for an hour or more I wouldn’t care, but if he only naps for 30 minutes, then I would be determined to get him to fall asleep on his own.

tichellady

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 8:00 pm
Tell him the new expectations and you know he can do it. Do a naptime routine that’s similar to bedtime and then leave the room. It may take a week or so he but will get it and start napping.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 8:11 pm
Baby does usually sleep anywhere between 1-3 hours bh it’s just time consuming for them.
As far as still trying Ferber method he just cries and cries and doesn’t lay down we keep going in on intervals but doesn’t help at all

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 8:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Baby does usually sleep anywhere between 1-3 hours bh it’s just time consuming for them.
As far as still trying Ferber method he just cries and cries and doesn’t lay down we keep going in on intervals but doesn’t help at all

What would happen if you didn't go in at all?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 8:58 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
What would happen if you didn't go in at all?

That would be crazy. Leave a baby crying for an hour and not go in and comfort them?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 9:08 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
That would be crazy. Leave a baby crying for an hour and not go in and comfort them?

Some kids cry more when you keep coming in and comforting them. With one of my kids I never went in and she didn't cry for more than 10 minutes.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 9:11 pm
My baby napped in the stroller until 2. He dropped the nap because he was ready, don't think it has anything to do with the stroller

ETA if it ain't broke don't fix it

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 10:33 pm
I can’t leave my baby crying for so long but I do increase the intervals each time. I guess I really shld just leave it thanks!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 2:34 am
My 2 1/2 yr old still naps in his stroller and naps really well in it. We did ferber for nights when he was younger, but napped much better in the stroller so kept it as is. A babysitter with 3 kids should be able to handle rocking one of them to sleep for a nap, unless it's taking a long time for him to fall asleep. I'm sure there's ways to nap train if you wanted to go that route. Personally, I felt that if the stroller was working and it didn't affect his night sleep, no need to change it. It's actually super convenient because as he got older, he could still fall asleep easily for his nap wherever we go, as long as we bring his stroller Wink

amother
White

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 8:17 am
Can you drop the nap at home and let him sleep at the babysitter? Sometimes if there are a few kids in pack a plays in one room the kid that does not sleep will stay and play in his pack and play even if all the other kids are sleeping

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 8:58 am
Well he still needs his nap otherwise we run into problems at night where he keeps waking up and he gets super kvetchy and wants me to hold him for the rest of the day.

Frumme

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 9:46 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
An hour of crying is a really long time.

I agree. I was under the impression that it was max 30 minutes of crying for Ferber naps, not 60. Anyone have the book on hand?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics