Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Heaven supper idea- and crazy cheap!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:46 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Honeydew, what the hey is a betty crocker? I assume it's a localism in your part of the world for some sort of cooking appliance but you should know it's not a national or international term. Betty Crocker is a food manufacturer that branched out into selling cooking utensils and kitchen gadgets.

Same part of the world that refers to supper as heaven Laugh

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 2:18 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I started making ground meat in taco shells plus adding salsa on top for a quick supper, but I'm not sure it's the cheapest idea (it's really easy though). Maybe meatballs and spaghetti is a little cheaper?

Another idea - chicken in the oven, rice in the oven, and sweet potatoes. Full round supper, really easy and not too expensive.

would love to try tacos but how do u eat them? don't they fall apart from the first bite?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 2:26 pm
we made taco salad last night for dinner. I don't know, didn't feel quick to me but was a nice dinner and I made the taco seasoning and dressing from scratch so that probably explained the lack of speed plus cutting up vegetables... and I'm just slow.... since meat was in salad with taco chips instead of shell I didn't feel like it was so messy....

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 2:38 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
would love to try tacos but how do u eat them? don't they fall apart from the first bite?

They sell soft taco shells that do not crumble as you eat it. So delicious!

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 2:49 pm
Delete

mom!

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 2:50 pm
Here are my quick supper ideas:
1 a cup of rice, two cups of water, chicken legs and plenty of onion soup mix. Bake covered for a least two hours.
2. Sauté onion add bag of brown farfel to pan. Put in drumsticks, sprinkle with spices and bake.
3. Chop potatoes and sweet potatoes. Top with chicken bottoms. Spice well and cover with duck sauce. Bake covered

elisheva25

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:10 pm
Easy side dish ... buckwheat in rice cooker
And healthier than rice
Easy no cook baked zitti...
Put raw zitti in a 9X13 pan
Add jar of sauce .. vodka or any other
Fill empty jar with half milk half water
Pour over zitti
Bake for 1.5 hrs @350 covered
Uncover and bake a little longer

giselle

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:14 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Reread what I wrote? I wrote Betty Crocker pizza maker. If you're not sure what kind of appliance a Betty Crocker pizza maker is, you can google it. Not sure what the point of this post was?

Reread what she wrote. She wasn’t quoting you. I also have no idea what a Betty Crocker is, and I doubt she’s putting chicken legs in a pizza maker.

happy bday

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:19 pm
mom! wrote:
Here are my quick supper ideas:
1 a cup of rice, two cups of water, chicken legs and plenty of onion soup mix. Bake covered for a least two hours.
2. Sauté onion add bag of brown farfel to pan. Put in drumsticks, sprinkle with spices and bake.
3. Chop potatoes and sweet potatoes. Top with chicken bottoms. Spice well and cover with duck sauce. Bake covered

For the farfel and chicken- is this fully cooked on stovetop? Or u transfer to oven? Also- no water added?

Last edited by happy bday on Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

giselle wrote:
Reread what she wrote. She wasn’t quoting you. I also have no idea what a Betty Crocker is, and I doubt she’s putting chicken legs in a pizza maker.

Yes she is. It has become very popular to use for all sorts of things, not just pizza.
People use it for anything from scrambled eggs to potato kugel to fish to chicken. It's very versatile.

amother
Taupe

amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
1 lb of meat feeds ten people? Are they small eaters?

Thank you. I hate these threads because it makes us sound like giant eaters. My kids are all skinny but for dinner we need 2.5 lbs ground beef. Easily $20. Plus pasta plus vegetables.
Not a $10 dinner by far.

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:29 pm
Cheaper suppers:

Ground chicken (dark) when mixed with leftover challah (soft part, soaked in water and squeeze water out). Makes the recipe enough for 2 suppers. I add eggs, salt and pepper, garlic powder (or cube frozen garlic). I fry it as patties, or make meatballs with it.

Chicken wings, I broil for about 15 min on each side (till browned, but not burned).

Potatoes, rinse, cut in half, dip in oil, sprinkle salt and pepper, and bake for approx 45 min on 425.

Very easy supper: put chicken bottoms into foil pan (or any oven pan) add peeled, cubed potatoes, add Bbq suace and mixed together. Cover and bake on 300 for 4 hrs.

Milchig:
cook pasta, any kind but I like mini shells or elbows. Drain and rinse. Put back into pot, add tomato sauce and shredded cheese and cook on low till cheese melts.

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:32 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Thank you. I hate these threads because it makes us sound like giant eaters. My kids are all skinny but for dinner we need 2.5 lbs ground beef. Easily $20. Plus pasta plus vegetables.
Not a $10 dinner by far.
avree that ground beef is not cheap.

Some people add soaked challah or rice or potatoes or bread crumbs to stretch it so there is enough.

But still it's hard to see how 1 lb would be enough for 10 people, unless most of the 10 are under the age of 8.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:35 pm
giselle wrote:

Sorry, you're right. But I guess honeydew IS putting chicken legs in a pizza maker? Because that's what everyone calls a pizza maker.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:41 pm
For tacos, I usually mix black beans and beef to make it go farther or I finely chop mushrooms to mix with the beef. Beef used to be $4.99 a lb now its more like $6.99 so two lbs is around 14 dollars. I call it medium frugal. it depends on what I serve it with and what else I served that week. Ground turkey and ground chicken are a little cheaper per lb so I make tacos with those too some times. I have one kid that is kind of a weird eater but tacos he LOVES so I try to make it work in our rotation.

mom!

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:43 pm
happy bday wrote:
For the farfel and chicken- is this fully cooked on stovetop? Or u transfer to oven? Also- no water added?

Sorry! Yes 3 cups of water. Cooked in oven.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:46 pm
yksraya wrote:
avree that ground beef is not cheap.

Some people add soaked challah or rice or potatoes or bread crumbs to stretch it so there is enough.

But still it's hard to see how 1 lb would be enough for 10 people, unless most of the 10 are under the age of 8.

Right
I add matzah meal and oats, sometimes rice. Leftover challah is a good idea.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:49 pm
Large Greek salad: thickly sliced cucumber, chopped tomato, green pepper, parsley, red onion, olive oil and red wine vinegar, lemon wedges , ground pepper, crumbled feta, black olives, garbanzo beans.

Serve with wheat pita with cheeses and/or fresh fruit on the side.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:56 pm
GG and bingo sell a mix of ground beef and ground chicken a little cheaper (I think $3.99/lbs) perfect for meat sauce or hamburgers!
Tuna patties are cheap and delicious!
Soups like lentils, split peas and mushroom barley are healthy, very filling and cheap!
As a side dish, I bought chopped broccoli, cheaper than florets and poured whole bag in pot while cooking rice! It was delicious!
Tilapia sometimes goes on sale for $3.99/lbs, about 4 fillets. I make 2 pack plus a side dish like rice and add salad on the side.(that's about $12 for 8 ppl!)
If you want to do cheap you need big freezer and buy on sale!
Lack of planning is your biggest expense!
(run one time to corner food store and all your savings are gone in 1 shopping trip! LOL )

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 4:03 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
GG and bingo sell a mix of ground beef and ground chicken a little cheaper (I think $3.99/lbs) perfect for meat sauce or hamburgers!
Tuna patties are cheap and delicious!
Soups like lentils, split peas and mushroom barley are healthy, very filling and cheap!
As a side dish, I bought chopped broccoli, cheaper than florets and poured whole bag in pot while cooking rice! It was delicious!
Tilapia sometimes goes on sale for $3.99/lbs, about 4 fillets. I make 2 pack plus a side dish like rice and add salad on the side.(that's about $12 for 8 ppl!)
If you want to do cheap you need big freezer and buy on sale!
Lack of planning is your biggest expense!
(run one time to corner food store and all your savings are gone in 1 shopping trip! LOL )

So true
I bought another freezer
When chicken goes to $2/lb, I buy a case.
Other stuff too.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen