Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Heaven supper idea- and crazy cheap!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 4:07 pm
giselle wrote:
Reread what she wrote. She wasn’t quoting you. I also have no idea what a Betty Crocker is, and I doubt she’s putting chicken legs in a pizza maker.

People get them in two colors, for meat and dairy.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 4:10 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Honeydew, what the hey is a betty crocker? I assume it's a localism in your part of the world for some sort of cooking appliance but you should know it's not a national or international term. Betty Crocker is a food manufacturer that branched out into selling cooking utensils and kitchen gadgets.

It's the name of the brand that makes a two-sided electric griddle, that is marketed as a pizza maker. It doesn't have to be used for pizza, the machine is just round to fit a perfect pizza.

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 4:17 pm
Bingo in bklyn sold them for $20 before Chanuka

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 4:19 pm
Cheapest ground meat I buy is a combo of dark & light chicken in one pack. Its soft, but it's good for anything that doesn't have to hold up.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 6:19 pm
Wash and cut potatoes in half, skin on. Toss with oil and a healthy amount of kosher salt. Bake uncovered, cut side down, in a 425 oven till the bottoms are light brown and crispy. Serve warm with tuna and mayo, cottage cheese, pickles and and cut vegetables.

Cook pasta, drain, add about 1/3 cup tomato paste and garlic salt to taste. Slice bagette in half. top with softened butter and garlic cube. Toast until golden and fragrant.

Saute and onion, mash a can of pinto beans, add to onions. When thickened, serve over white rice.

Use leftover white rice to fry in a bit of oil add soy sauce, sesame oil and add egg and scramble it. Add frozen peas and carrots or tofu if you want before the egg.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 6:35 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Sounds delish but Yikes- those may be cheap but NOT healthy at all... wings are the fattiest part of the animal, plus soaking in the drippings. Pasta with heavy cream... you can definitely feed a family healthily with easy cheap soup/stew recipes in a crock pot with plenty veggies and protein on a low budget without clogging everyone’s arteries.

oh, I wish my kids would eat vegetables!!
we just graduated to carrots (that's what I put in my chicken soups/barley soups).
previously everything had to be blended (unrecognizable)
I used to joke the last time one of my kids ingested fruits or vegetables were in utero.
I wonder what you would say about my supper tonight (turkey barley soup plus schnitzel plus fries!!) Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 6:39 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I agree with the cream not being so healthy, but once in a while.... And sounds to me like OP is trying to come up with cheap and quick, which can be hard to do super healthy too, and was happy to share the ideas she found and posted hoping to get some more. So I wouldn't appreciate the tone here- you can suggest the healthy options without sounding critical, but maybe you didn't mean it that way as I heard it.

I do noodles/cottage cheese/ sauce/ shredded cheese baked together.
Ground meat and rice and taco shells- it's quick.
Agree with above about chicken/potatoes in crock pot, soups in crock pot are good idea.

Thanks, magenta, yeah, I wasn't exactly soliciting health advice here!!! that advice wasn't really asked for!!
I like your taco idea.......my kids are so picky, everything has to be clean, the last time I tried tacos I think I had taco seasoning mixed with the meat and it wasn't a hit....you add anything to the meat?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 6:43 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
we made taco salad last night for dinner. I don't know, didn't feel quick to me but was a nice dinner and I made the taco seasoning and dressing from scratch so that probably explained the lack of speed plus cutting up vegetables... and I'm just slow.... since meat was in salad with taco chips instead of shell I didn't feel like it was so messy....

Oh my gosh, I love this idea. On top of what I make for my family, I'm always making my own "diet suppers."
So on Taco Night, my kids can have regular tacos and the adults can have a taco salad...
can you post what was in the salad and the dressing? and how you served it?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 6:45 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Yes she is. It has become very popular to use for all sorts of things, not just pizza.
People use it for anything from scrambled eggs to potato kugel to fish to chicken. It's very versatile.

Why use that as opposed to an oven? I never heard of that appliance.

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 6:46 pm
My cheapest suppers are homemade bread and red lentil soup or split pea soup and salad. Sometimes we do hash browns, eggs and Israeli salad. Actually I make ramen soup with tofu and vegetables that’s also pretty cheap

SoBlessed

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 7:21 pm
Shakshuka with toast

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 8:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok thanks.
I'm also looking for dinners that are inexpensive....
noticed I am spending like $2000 on food for my family for the month!! trying to cut down but still feeding my kids wholesome meals.....

how many people are you?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 9:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh my gosh, I love this idea. On top of what I make for my family, I'm always making my own "diet suppers."
So on Taco Night, my kids can have regular tacos and the adults can have a taco salad...
can you post what was in the salad and the dressing? and how you served it?

so the salad was just the bagged mixed salad of iceburg, cabbage,carrots... with cut up tomatoes, cucumbers, I think I put canned corn. was planning of serving avocados but I don't think I did in the end.

I put a ranch dressing on it. can't say it's really "diet" it has mayonnaise in it Wink

in terms of cost according to the USDA Moderate-Cost: $206 – $246 per week for a family of 4. This isn't taking kosher food in to account. Yes you could do it for cheaper. They have cheaper options but that's considered moderate cost.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 9:21 pm
Unfortunately its a very challenging combo you're asking for. Healthy, cheap, and fast. Usually you gotta sacrifice one. I would say the exception would be beans are proteins but those arent fast.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 9:30 pm
canned beans can be fast Wink as are sardines and eggs but not everyone's kids want to eat sardines and who wants to eat scrambled eggs every night....

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 9:51 pm
Here’s an idea!
Israeli salad, fresh pita (or I just heat up frozen pita), and grilled chicken! I take chicken cutlets, cut them up, and put them in the broiler for a few min...ta da, grilled chicken sandwiches:)

Chicken and rice in one pan is also an idea

Last edited by TravelHearter on Wed, Dec 23 2020, 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 9:52 pm
Delete

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:28 pm
I'm probably spending between $400-$500 a week on food.
makes sense if $250 feeds a family of 4 and then I'm spending that for my size family....
I shop at evergreen, so in the grocery order I also throw in papergoods and other non-edible things, so that's included too...
my sister in law spends like $700 a week on food....she's not buying take out or pre cut vegetables....her kids happen to eat tons of fruit and vegetables so it adds up....
I don't know all the answers but always on the look out for cheap, easy ideas that my kids will actually eat and are healthy-ish/wholesome.

Here's another one I did (not on a day I stay late at work)

Took off from some of my Challa dough and made fresh rolls (I did little balls, with a little oil-very quick)
easy Dairy potato soup (fry an onion in butter, add cubed potatoes, water, milk, salt and pepper, onion soup mix- oh and for next time now I can maybe add a carrot too- but I'll be taking a chance with some of my kids!!!!!)

my kids looooved it!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:31 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
so the salad was just the bagged mixed salad of iceburg, cabbage,carrots... with cut up tomatoes, cucumbers, I think I put canned corn. was planning of serving avocados but I don't think I did in the end.

I put a ranch dressing on it. can't say it's really "diet" it has mayonnaise in it Wink

in terms of cost according to the USDA Moderate-Cost: $206 – $246 per week for a family of 4. This isn't taking kosher food in to account. Yes you could do it for cheaper. They have cheaper options but that's considered moderate cost.

I can use the light mayonaise for the ranch, sounds really good.
What's in the dressing?
How do you serve the ground meat/taco? sprinkled on top? you crush the taco first?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:37 pm
All of you Ima’s trying to make it cheap what do you do for protein? Besides for the one or two of you who wrote beans
Pasta soup bread etc none of those meals have much protein no?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen