Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Heaven supper idea- and crazy cheap!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:43 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
All of you Ima’s trying to make it cheap what do you do for protein? Besides for the one or two of you who wrote beans
Pasta soup bread etc none of those meals have much protein no?

Yeah, totally, I wouldn't do that every night, no way. Usually there's more protein, but I would do this on a Thursday night, when I know they are anyways all going to be tasting the fresh potato kugel before going to bed!!!
Also, DH doesn't need a ton of protein to be full, he's not a huge protein eater, you gotta know your people!!

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:45 pm
All of you Ima’s trying to make it cheap what do you do for protein? Besides for the one or two of you who wrote beans
Pasta soup bread etc none of those meals have much protein no?

Americans have an obsession with protein. Add up all the protein you're eating in a day, don't worry about having a ton of protein davka in one meal.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:58 pm
Honeydew amother here.

Sorry I wasn't clear.
Yes its the Betty Crocker Pizza Maker that someone posted upthread.
I havenone for meat and dairy. No it does not come in different colors. Only red (I searched. Wanted red for meat and blue for dairy. But alas it only comes in red) hubby put a big pc of tape and wrote MEAT on the fleishig one.
Why I use this over my oven? Because its faster, tastier and easier clean up. Also doesn't make tge kitchen all hot.
It's like a George Foreman Griddle but the fat stays there. Doesnt drip away. So think about chicken legs cooked in that. Yummmmm.

I do pizza doigh made w almond flour in it. Baked ziti, eigel beigel, french toast, scrambled eggs omelet and sunny side up. Rewarm pizza, make grilled cheese sandwiches and practically anything in there.

I dont like using my microwave much due to the health benefits lost in the process of reheating so I use the betty cricket pizza maker to rewarm leftovers.
Ive also done kabob type food in there and more.
What HAVEN'T I made in there?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Americans have an obsession with protein. Add up all the protein you're eating in a day, don't worry about having a ton of protein davka in one meal.

I’m thinking about the average kid...
Cereal with milk for breakfast- unless they drink all the leftover milk that’s not much
Pasta w cheese/tuna or egg sandwich
Dinner

Those are the three times they eat protein, and unless you give your kids protein as snacks in school or very protein full lunch dinner is usually the main source.

Also, separate point, but I feel like the less protein in a meal the more likely to eat more carbs bc protein is a lot more satiating

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:08 pm

Americans eat a lot of protein, but the typical frum child/family doesn't. We don't generally have meat for breakfast, or lunch meat for lunch. And meat is more expensive so most of us don't serve meat every night either (personally, I very rarely serve meat and my food bill is still quite high).

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, magenta, yeah, I wasn't exactly soliciting health advice here!!! that advice wasn't really asked for!!
I like your taco idea.......my kids are so picky, everything has to be clean, the last time I tried tacos I think I had taco seasoning mixed with the meat and it wasn't a hit....you add anything to the meat?

So I usually add the taco spice mix that comes in the little packets...my kids like that flavor. When I don't have it, I use chili/onion/garlic powder. If they're not into spice, you can keep it plain with just water, maybe a little ketchup added.
And our tacos always break... It's part of the experience lol, I usually end up with it all mixed on my plate kind of like the other salad idea

giselle

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:17 pm

Actually, I find that unless I’m conscious about it, I don’t eat nearly enough protein. Most people eat too many carbs if anything.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:30 pm
I’m thinking about the average kid...
Cereal with milk for breakfast- unless they drink all the leftover milk that’s not much
Pasta w cheese/tuna or egg sandwich
Dinner

Those are the three times they eat protein, and unless you give your kids protein as snacks in school or very protein full lunch dinner is usually the main source.

Also, separate point, but I feel like the less protein in a meal the more likely to eat more carbs bc protein is a lot more satiating

Like I said, most people seriously overestimate protein needs. If my child gets half a cup of milk in with the cereal, and has one tuna sandwich for lunch, that's the entire amount of protein he needs for the day.

I'm very happy with my kids eating healthy carbs ad long as they're also getting plenty of healthy fats.

giselle

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:33 pm
Like I said, most people seriously overestimate protein needs. If my child gets half a cup of milk in with the cereal, and has one tuna sandwich for lunch, that's the entire amount of protein he needs for the day.

I'm very happy with my kids eating healthy carbs ad long as they're also getting plenty of healthy fats.

How much protein do you think people need?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:39 pm
giselle wrote:
How much protein do you think people need?

Depends on activity level. But in general for kids .75 grams per lb of body weight is really plenty.

giselle

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:41 pm
Depends on activity level. But in general for kids .75 grams per lb of body weight is really plenty.

I agree. I still don’t see how they’d get that from a half cup milk and tuna sandwich, unless you’re talking about really little kids.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:44 pm
Can't believe no one has yet mentioned eggs. Best cheap dinner ever. My kids love with homemade potatoe wedges in oven (I stripe peel so don't spend ages peeling, and spice) and a fresh salad. Afaik eggs are a good source of protein.

True I have to stand and fry different eggs but I use two frying pans and it takes 5 min to make a bunch of scrambled for one group of kids and then some fried eggs for the test of them

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:46 pm
giselle wrote:
I agree. I still don’t see how they’d get that from a half cup milk and tuna sandwich, unless you’re talking about really little kids.

Yes, I'm talking about my 6 year old who eats one bowl of cereal and one tuna sandwich Very Happy My big kids would not be satisfied with that at all! They eat larger portions, hence more protein per meal. I'm just saying, we don't have to worry about packing protein into every supper unless the overall diet is really not adequate.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Can't believe no one has yet mentioned eggs. Best cheap dinner ever. My kids love with homemade potatoe wedges in oven (I stripe peel so don't spend ages peeling, and spice) and a fresh salad. Afaik eggs are a good source of protein.

True I have to stand and fry different eggs but I use two frying pans and it takes 5 min to make a bunch of scrambled for one group of kids and then some fried eggs for the test of them

I have it even easier, my kids loves egg salad! We have it about once a week.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:56 pm

Actually.... I just researched this and it's scary how important protein really is. If your kid exercises or is growing (and we hope most kids are) they do need extra protein. Also, protein is very important in losing and maintaining optimal weight.

https://www.healthline.com/nut.....-loss

Most kids I know really don't get enough protein - between cereal for breakfast, snacks and bread for lunch, and spaghetti for supper, a kid could really be not getting enough protein.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:56 pm
giselle wrote:
Actually, I find that unless I’m conscious about it, I don’t eat nearly enough protein. Most people eat too many carbs if anything.

Yeah, me too, I love carbs...I could eat pasta for breakfast, lunch, supper (I don't! but I could!!)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 12:01 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

I try so hard to get my kids to eat eggs in the morning; I boil eggs for some and I scramble eggs for others....I agree, it's such a healthy protein, I end up using it for breakfast though.

Get this: my crazy picky son who just started eating his first vegetable EVER eats this:

Rice cakes smeared with mayo covered in slices of boiled egg all covered in LEMON PEPPER!!
go figure!!!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 2:25 am
add oil to the pan, fry red lentils, kidney beans, and white beans with onions and garlic (if im in a rush I use canned legumes, ready to go fried onions and garlic powder- make sthe dish more expencive, but not less healthy and very quick).
optional: add ground beef/lean turkey whatever ground emat ios on sale- my kids love the vegetarian version too though). I add a can of tomatos andsweet corn boil on low (vegetarian can version 5 minutes, meat and fresh version up to 20 minutes). add chilli mix and spice well (cayenne, red paprica, whatever u like in your chili)

prepare brown rice (I do this the night before in the instant pot- comes out heavently)
sometimes I mix basmatirice and brown rice...whatever u like

I shred carrots (super cheap now, but could be cabbage or any winter veg thats on sale) and add something sweet (rests of compote eg pinepalle, tangerine...whatever een some honey will do) a little oil, salt, pepper, vinegar and frozen herbs) voilá a healthy carrot salad

puting this together takes 10 minutes, while it simmers it set the table an make sure my little ones wash their hands etc.
kids love it

this one is more expencive due to the meat, but also easy and yum:
fry onion garlic and peppers. add meat (originally it was cut up chicken breast slices, but ive tried boneless cut up left overs of night before - beef, turkey, chicken work well), and fry well. add curry powder and papricapowder generously. mix starch with cold water and add (or add rich if you buy this product, its like a dairy heavy cream- not healthy, I prefer the strach version) and let simmer 10 minutes. u can add any left over veggies,: cabbage, carrots, brocoli works well. serve over orzo or rice. my mids love love love this.

place sweet potatoes / regular potatoes sliced on a sheet pan. cover with onionrings., add some oil and spices and salt. place in oven for 25 min.

in the meantime mix canned tuna light with eggs and left over bread or crumbs.
add frid onions, paprica and pepper generously. form patties and fry on a second pan in the oven.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 2:29 am
oh and any tyoe of omelette will be eaten gladly by my picky eaters.
scambeled, fried ..with veggies on toast or fried potatoes...

my kids also like this:
here spinach (strained ) is super cheap
I defrost on box, boil with agrlic and some dairy cream (just a little milk will do I guess)=.
I boil potatoes and add fresh parsley.
a fried egg acompanies this - very traditional in our region and vry cheap. and actually very healthy too. but I guess most kids dont like spinach???

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 2:53 am
yksraya wrote:
avree that ground beef is not cheap.

Some people add soaked challah or rice or potatoes or bread crumbs to stretch it so there is enough.

But still it's hard to see how 1 lb would be enough for 10 people, unless most of the 10 are under the age of 8.

The challah, rice, potatoes, or breadcrumbs is to hold it together, not to stretch it.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen