Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Easy Dessert
Previous  1  2  3  Next

#ibelieve

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 2:29 pm
buy mango sorbet scoop into a 6oz simchah collection dessert bowl or any clear bowl drizzle with store bought strawberry sauce and put in a mini clear spoon. looks so pretty!!

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 4:54 pm
The pie recipes here are all great! Can also do peanut chews and service with ice cream and sauce

smss

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 5:03 pm
MiriFr wrote:
1- nowadays, eggs are pasteurized
2- in a dessert, you’re eating so little egg (that’s pasteurized), that it’s unlikely you will get salmonella

Idk where you live but in the US the vast majority of eggs you buy in the store are NOT pasteurized. Unless they say they are- they're not.
Storebought ice cream is either made with pasteurized eggs or the ice cream is pasteurized.

It's true that unless you're pregnant or elderly or immunocompromised you probably don't need to worry about food poisoning from salmonella killing you but like... do you WANT food poisoning? Or to give it to your guests??

jflower

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 5:16 pm
Teomima wrote:
If you have a graham cracker crust available, my quick easy go to is chocolate pudding pie:
1/2 c sugar, 3TB cocoa, 1/4c cornstarch, 1/8tsp salt, 2 3/4 c milk/any non-dairy milk. Mix in a pot and whisk till bubbly and thick then pour into crust and cool completely.

This sounds delish! Do you decorate the top of the pie? I was thinking of using a vegetable peeler on a bar of Schmerling chocolate to decorate.

funkyfrummom

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:27 am
Re eggs:
In the US, pasteurized eggs will state it on the carton. They put them in hot water baths to pasteurize them. But all "egg products" have to be pasteurized in the US, by law, so if you buy eggs or egg whites in a carton, they will be pasteurized.

These are some of my daughter's recipes (she made these when she was about 9 years old, very easy):

Banana Cake
1 box yellow or white cake mix (and the ingredients needed according to box)
3 mashed bananas
1/2 C chopped pecans or chocolate chips

Magical Peanut Butter Cookies
1 C peanut butter (any kind)
1 1/3 C sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
drop and bake

funkyfrummom

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:34 am
One more... this one is a little embarrassing b/c definitely not healthy....

Fruit Whip
1 package non-dairy whipped topping (try to get the kind already done, otherwise the Rich Whip carton and you will need to whip it)
1 package gel-desert, just about any flavor (best lemon, orange, or strawberry)
Combine and put in pretty glass sherbet glasses.

That's it, lol.

Redbird

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:51 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Eggs need to be cooked!

You've never had a sunny side up?

Yes there is a minute risk in eating raw eggs, but also of crossing the street.

Or of leaving your house in 2020.

"Safety first" is a myth.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 1:32 am
smss wrote:
Idk where you live but in the US the vast majority of eggs you buy in the store are NOT pasteurized. Unless they say they are- they're not.
Storebought ice cream is either made with pasteurized eggs or the ice cream is pasteurized.

It's true that unless you're pregnant or elderly or immunocompromised you probably don't need to worry about food poisoning from salmonella killing you but like... do you WANT food poisoning? Or to give it to your guests??

I know someone-a healthy kid-who got salmonella from eggs. He ate a spoon of cookie dough. He was put of school for a month with awful stomach pain and digestion issues. Just putting it out there.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 2:29 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I know someone-a healthy kid-who got salmonella from eggs. He ate a spoon of cookie dough. He was put of school for a month with awful stomach pain and digestion issues. Just putting it out there.

Pretty sure I remember reading a recipe column in one of the frum magazines where the author admitted her family got salmonella once from making one of those ice cream desserts with raw eggs.
It's one thing to take a risk with your own family (though I think it's crazy) but it's not right to serve it to an unsuspecting guest. At least warn them about the raw eggs so they can decide if they want to take that risk.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 5:32 am
If you have frozen berries fruit crumbles are easy and since it’s serve warm it’s welcoming on cold nights

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 6:43 am
U can buy churros (in the freezer)
Serve it w some dipping sauce and ice cream

Moonlight

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 6:51 am
I'm pretty sure the freezer kills the salmonella bacteria so as long as u freeze You're ok.
Having said that, it makes me nervous and I NEVER do dessert w raw frozen eggs

Lovemy5

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 7:42 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

I remember reading recently, but don’t quote me on this, that it actually is the raw flour that can be harmful not necessarily the eggs. So eating raw dough would be a concern because of the flour, not the eggs.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 9:08 am
https://princesspinkygirl.com/.....cake/
For the recipe in this link, you can use any fruit really, frozen or canned, just maybe drain
some or most of the liquid. A combo of canned peaches & canned apricots or nectarines is really good. It's a ridiculously easy recipe.
Can probably use melted coconut oil, or light olive oil/canola oil instead of margerine/Earth Balance sticks.

silverlining3

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 9:21 am
Razzle pie crust is really easy and delicious

Bucket PARVE cookie and cream ice cream. Or plain vanilla ice cream and break in black oreo cookies
2 large tablespoon honey
4 big squirts chocolate syrup
1/2 cup peanut butter.

Let ice cream defrost a bit then add all ingredients and mix well. Pour into Graham pie crust and top with chopped Viennese crunch. Cover with the crust cover-down side up and freeze.

Yields 2 pies.

Moonlight

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 9:31 am
Honestly I find a quick cake or brownies easier to make than ice cream pies

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 10:02 am
Pink Flamingo wrote:
I am making this for Friday night:
Use a brownie mix. Pour 3/4 of the batter in a pan. Sprinkle mini marshmallows and broken up rosemarie parve chocolate on top. Pour rest of batter on top. Serve warm, alone or with ice cream
SNIP

What's your favorite method to keep this warm Friday eve?

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 10:12 am
Ambrosia

Jello mixed with fruit - can mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple can and frozen strawberries.
Serve in pretty plastic cups and sprinkle with coconut flakes (optional).

Chocolate chip cookies - place 2-3 frozen kineret chocolate chip cookies in personal mini pans, add parve chocolate pieces (1-2).
Serve with scoop of ice cream on top.
(Best served warm)

This is also very good:

https://betweencarpools.com/pr.....utes/

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 10:25 am
I just keep ice cream cones in the house, a few ice creaks and some toppings. Always a hit with kids...

etky

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:42 am
Lovemy5 wrote:
I remember reading recently, but don’t quote me on this, that it actually is the raw flour that can be harmful not necessarily the eggs. So eating raw dough would be a concern because of the flour, not the eggs.

It's a concern because of both of these issues, just more people are aware of the salmonella issue with raw eggs.
As far back as the seventies my mother would not allow us to taste raw cookie dough and cake batters whereas I only became aware of the flour issue a couple of years ago.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics