Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Please help me understand what happened.
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 10:05 am
H&F, no I wouldn't take a child to the doctor just because he vomited and was sweaty. As long as he has wet diapers and doesn't have any other extreme symptoms I would just let his rest and take it easy. Kids vomit a lot and get fever a lot. There is also a stomach bug going around now in babies, but he also could have been overheated or have eaten too much. IYH he'll feel fine in the next day or so.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:55 pm
Thanks everyone. My husband took care of my son since I was up all night checking up on him.

Gonna run to the pharmacy now

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 12:48 pm
Refuah sheleimah little one!

HnF, I hope you and DH don't catch it. Make sure to wash well with soap or alcohol gel each time after handling the baby.

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 6:01 pm
Thank you everyone! I’m worried for him.
Since then he’s been having mild fever (Motrin helps, Tylenol he pukes up) and can’t keep anything down.
Sorry for tmi but not even 15-30 min later he throws up whatever he ate or drank or it comes out diarrhea form.

The ONLY thing that stays down is pedialyte!!!

We give him plain crackers, rice, etc....it just doesn’t stay “in”.

Sad

What kinda illness is this?!
When he’s not throwing up he’s himself, pretty active and smiley.

I’m worried that he’s just barely eating.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 6:08 pm
Sounds like a stomach bug. If it is still going tomorrow then call the doctor.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 6:19 pm
That's all normal for a stomach bug. Just give him pedialyte (little bit at a time) and make sure he has wet diapers.

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 6:25 pm
How much for a child his age? He’s 16 months weighs around 23 pounds or so.

I’ve been giving him around 3-5oz

I hope I’m not giving too much or too little. My husband offered him a whole bottle (8 oz) and he barely drank an ounce.

I hope when he’s better he’ll have an appetite again.

It’s normal for kids not to eat at all? Like only take 2 bites or 4 spoons of something before they refuse the food?

imasinger

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 6:26 pm
No need to panic. Keep him as comfortable as you can, he should be"H feel better in a day or two. If not, that's the time to call a doctor.

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 6:28 pm
Alright.

Thanks!

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 6:29 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
How much for a child his age? He’s 16 months weighs around 23 pounds or so.

I’ve been giving him around 3-5oz

I hope I’m not giving too much or too little. My husband offered him a whole bottle (8 oz) and he barely drank an ounce.

I hope when he’s better he’ll have an appetite again.

It’s normal for kids not to eat at all? Like only take 2 bites or 4 spoons of something before they refuse the food?

Yes very normal not to eat when you're sick. Babies and adults alike

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 7:53 pm
Wow. The more I know. I personally have a reduced appetite, but I was raised to eat everything on my plate if I wanted to get better, LOL.
my mum gave me chicken soup! And yes....yes....non Jews give chicken soup too...and I’d only eat a bit more than half the plate.
But eating mamash nothing but drops from a baby turning toddler? (I wasn’t sure which forum to post this in, in babies or toddlers...)
It’s terrifying to see. I guess it’s a first mommy thing. 🙈🙈🙈

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 8:24 pm
H&F-

Pediatric nurse here:

There is a stomach bug going around now. It's not necessary to give him any food at all. Hydration is the only thing that's important now. If he stays hyrated, it's ok if he doesn't eat for a day or two. If you push food, he'll likely just throw it up. His tummy is not ready yet. Don't give any fluids other than Pedialyte (it has the liquid plus important nutrients, and it's easier on the stomach). Don't give an 8oz bottle of it at once. The key is small, frequent feedings of Pedialyte. If you give too much at once, he will likely throw it up. Try an ounce or two. If he keeps it down, you can try again after 15 min. Etc

Keep an eye on his wet diapers. He's going to have less than usual but he should have a few during the day. Keep an eye on his behavior. He will likely sleep more than usual but he shouldn't be sleeping all day or look lethargic.

If he isn't having wet diapers or is looking lethargic, you need to take him to his pediatrician to make sure he's not dehydrated.

As he is able to keep down more and more, start offering him bland foods. Start with something like toast. If he keeps that down, offer more, etc.

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 9:50 pm
Thank you so so SO much for the information! I’ll keep it in mind. So just pedialyte, and slowly slowly add things little by little, which is bland food, right?

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:55 pm
Right. As his stomach can handle more food without vomiting/nausea, offer more, until he's back to his regular self. Don't push it if he's not ready, but don't hold back when he is. Good things to start with: toast, rice cakes, dry cheerios, etc. Fluids fluids fluids. Small amounts more often.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:57 pm
If you're saying vomiting + fever, personally, I would take the child to the doctor. As others mentioned, it could be something like the flu or other virus as well.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 1:12 am
Hi all so I guess he’s improving. We gave him some pieces of French toast and he didn’t throw it back up. I am still giving him pedialyte tho, to keep him hydrated.
And he’s not as feverish.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 1:20 am
As long as he’s hydrated, he’s good.
Food is not as important.
if the food will make him vomit the liquid, stop the food.
Keep him coolish.
Take care of mama too. It’s hard watching our little munchkins being sick.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 2:39 pm
So yesterday (Sunday) he was pretty himself the first half of the day and then he looked under the weather again :/

We took him to the doctor
And they said he has strep again

We got such a yelling from him... I felt horrible :/
Only thing I can say now is that I wish we took him in motzai shabbos instead of Sunday 7pm after we got out of work

The doctor told us of a child who had a fever of 105 and then that child ended up seizing (the parents didn’t give him anything!) but the child turned out fine in the end.

It was scary to hear...but I did feel horrible we waited that long. But my son was having days and hours where he seemed almost normal!

I thought it was that he ate something bad Thursday afternoon:/
Then Friday and Saturday was shabbos obviously we couldn’t go to the doctor and all the doctors offices are closed if they are shomer shabbos. But I’m not sure if one is allowed to take a kid to a doctor if they’re vomiting and having diarrhea for more than 24hrs
And Saturday night he was nearly normal!
But Sunday afternoon he started looking sick again:(

Sorry for getting off topic that doctor made me feel like a poopy mother. I know he had good intentions, maybe, to make us more aware...

My husband said he doesn’t have our frum life, he doesn’t know how we gave him Tylenol or Motrin and pedialyte.
I guess he was offended too but he doesnt take things to heart like I do.

😔😩😭

Last edited by PeanutMama on Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 2:50 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
So yesterday (Sunday) he was pretty himself the first half of the day and then he looked under the weather again :/

We took him to the doctor
And they said he has strep again

We got such a yelling from him... I felt horrible :/
Only thing I can say now is that I wish we took him in motzai shabbos instead of Sunday 7pm after we got out of work

The doctor told us of a child who had a fever of 105 and then that child ended up seizing (the parents didn’t give him anything!) but the child turned out fine in the end.

It was scary to hear...but I did feel horrible we waited that long. But my son was having days and hours where he seemed almost normal!

I thought it was that he ate something bad Thursday afternoon:/
Then Friday and Saturday was shabbos obviously we couldn’t go to the doctor
And Saturday night he was nearly normal!
But Sunday afternoon he started looking sick again:(

Sorry for getting off topic that doctor made me feel like a poopy mother. I know he had good intentions, maybe, to make us more aware...

My husband said he doesn’t have our frum life, he doesn’t know how we gave him Tylenol or Motrin and pedialyte.
I guess he was offended too but he doesnt take things to heart like I do.

😔😩😭

I'm sorry, what does the bolded mean? What does frum or not frum have to do with this? You think he is assuming that you did you give him motrin and other meds or something? And frum is part of this?

imasinger

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 2:57 pm
The doctor was wrong to blame you. Probably an overreaction because of that other case.

You are doing the best you can, and learning on the job as all parents do.

Each child reacts a little differently, and over time, most parents learn from experience with their own children when to wait and when to seek medical help.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics