Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Are you fasting today?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Are you fasting today?
Yes - we hold women must generally always fast, regardless of circumstance  
 14%  [ 20 ]
Yes - I am pregnant  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Yes - I am not pregant  
 27%  [ 38 ]
No - we hold women don't need to fast this fast, or just do until chatzos  
 22%  [ 31 ]
No - I am pregnant  
 14%  [ 20 ]
No - I am trying to conceive  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Something else  
 17%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 139

estherj

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 11:29 am
Not much but of a fast. Had something to eat late last night and will be having the meal some 16 hours later. There are some winter shabbosim I go that long if we finish the meal quickly on Friday night and I’m particularly exhausted do I go to sleep early.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 11:30 am
No

itsmeima

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 11:49 am
I never understood this degrading attitude that women can't fast!

honeymoon

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:15 pm
itsmeima wrote:

No one ever said we can't. I fast just fine thankyouverymuch.

We are told we don't have to. Perfectly fine with me. Fasting during pregnancy or when breastfeeding is no fun. I'm glad to have that pass.

To me it's not degrading. It's empathetic.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:25 pm
Yes, because I am neither pregnant nor nursing. I ate and drank early this morning so I'm feeling just fine. It's the easiest fast of the year!

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:26 pm
Nope, pregnant

bsy

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:27 pm
No I nurse my 2 year old once a day

soap suds

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:32 pm
Yes.
I wouldn’t if I were pregnant or nursing.

soap suds

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:33 pm
itsmeima wrote:
Why degrading?

acemom

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 1:00 pm
I had a coffee before עלות.

It's the shortest and a very important fast.

I drank a ton of water yesterday and throughout the past week.

I tried to do most Shabbos prep yesterday or took out from the freezer.

Not currently nursing/pregnant.

Less than 6 hrs to go.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 1:14 pm
Why would someone pregnant fast?

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 1:52 pm
itsmeima wrote:

Why is it degrading to say that men are physically stronger than women? Is it degrading when a man puts a woman’s life before his own when helping her onto a lifeboat? Do you find it degrading if your husband takes a heavy box from you to carry it himself? Would it make you feel better if he just let you carry it yourself?

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 1:57 pm
Chatzos FTW!

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 2:05 pm
itsmeima wrote:

Degrading? A woman's body grows a human being and sustains it after birth, why would you think it's degrading to treat it a little more delicately? That's ridiculous.
I haven't fasted a single fast except Yom Kippur in 4 years now and there's nothing degrading about it, my body is doing so many incredible things, I need to treat it properly.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:25 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Why is it degrading to say that men are physically stronger than women? Is it degrading when a man puts a woman’s life before his own when helping her onto a lifeboat? Do you find it degrading if your husband takes a heavy box from you to carry it himself? Would it make you feel better if he just let you carry it yourself?

There's no reason that a healthy woman who is not nursing or pregnant can't get through a day without food. Fasting is a mitzvah, and there's no halachic reason to exempt women. We are the healthiest, best nourished cohort of women in the world.

Millions of Muslim women fast every day for a month. Why is it that so many frum women can't endure one single day of discomfort to remember the destruction of Yerushalayim?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:32 am
No, nursing 2. Completely forgot it was a fast day until kiddush.

banana123

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
There's no reason that a healthy woman who is not nursing or pregnant can't get through a day without food. Fasting is a mitzvah, and there's no halachic reason to exempt women. We are the healthiest, best nourished cohort of women in the world.

Millions of Muslim women fast every day for a month. Why is it that so many frum women can't endure one single day of discomfort to remember the destruction of Yerushalayim?

Who May Be Excluded From Fasting?
There are certain situations when it is optional to fast during the month of Ramadan, however, the fast must be made up at a later date. This is the rule for the sick or for the one who is traveling.

However, women who are experiencing post-childbirth bleeding or are in their menses are not allowed to fast until their bleeding ends. They must make up the days they missed fasting at a later date.

For those who cannot fast due to a permanent illness or old age, they have to pay fidiya (feeding one poor person) for each day that they have missed.

Pregnant and nursing women, who are afraid that fasting may weaken them or the child, have the option of fasting or not. After Ramadan ends, they have the choice of fasting or paying fidiyah (feeding one poor person) for each day that they had missed during Ramadan. However, according to the Hanafi School of jurists, such women are only to make up the missed days of fasting, and they are not supposed to feed one poor person a day. On the other hand, Imaams Ahmad and Ash-Shaaf'I, hold the opinion that if such women fear only for the baby, they must pay the fidiyah and make up the days later. If they fear only for themselves or for themselves and the baby, then they are only to make up the missed days at a later date.

https://raleighmasjid.org/imam......html

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:41 am
banana123 wrote:
Who May Be Excluded From Fasting?
There are certain situations when it is optional to fast during the month of Ramadan, however, the fast must be made up at a later date. This is the rule for the sick or for the one who is traveling.

However, women who are experiencing post-childbirth bleeding or are in their menses are not allowed to fast until their bleeding ends. They must make up the days they missed fasting at a later date.

For those who cannot fast due to a permanent illness or old age, they have to pay fidiya (feeding one poor person) for each day that they have missed.

Pregnant and nursing women, who are afraid that fasting may weaken them or the child, have the option of fasting or not. After Ramadan ends, they have the choice of fasting or paying fidiyah (feeding one poor person) for each day that they had missed during Ramadan. However, according to the Hanafi School of jurists, such women are only to make up the missed days of fasting, and they are not supposed to feed one poor person a day. On the other hand, Imaams Ahmad and Ash-Shaaf'I, hold the opinion that if such women fear only for the baby, they must pay the fidiyah and make up the days later. If they fear only for themselves or for themselves and the baby, then they are only to make up the missed days at a later date.

https://raleighmasjid.org/imam......html

Exactly. The default is that women fast.

banana123

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Exactly. The default is that women fast.

Did you notice that anyone sick or traveling, and any woman who is bleeding from childbirth (nursing or not) or has her period, does not fast and has to make it up?

Also, Muslims typically have a meal before dawn and they literally feast at night. It's not like they are running on empty for an entire month.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 3:27 pm
banana123 wrote:
Did you notice that anyone sick or traveling, and any woman who is bleeding from childbirth (nursing or not) or has her period, does not fast and has to make it up?

Also, Muslims typically have a meal before dawn and they literally feast at night. It's not like they are running on empty for an entire month.

I don't want to out myself, even as amother, but I do have a lot of experience with Muslim communities. I can tell you that the vast majority of women fast. Someone who's postpartum this year will be fasting next year. Even if you have your period for a week, you're still putting in 21 days of fasting. And depending on how you hold, you may have to have to fast some other time to make up for the days you didn't fast.

Nothing stops us from having big meals before and after the fast, if that's what it takes. (And btw, in most Muslim communities, it isn't the men preparing the iftar meal.)

As with Jews, some are more stringent and some are more lax. But you have millions of women fasting morning to night for a month, and not dropping dead. It's not clear to me why we are supposed to be so much weaker than they are.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics