Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Avivah Gottlieb Zornberg

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:13 pm
Have you read any of her work?

I understand it has a lot of psychological analysis of people in Tanach, which I think might be a bit too "out there" for someone who's supposed to be Chareidi Yeshivish (trying anyhow).

But wondering if anyone here has any reactions to her books/articles.

(I don't mean that I refuse to hear any other points of view. I just don't want to open a Chumash & remember strange ideas that are not compatible with mekoros in Chazal etc.)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 1:14 pm
Are you asking if she's approved reading for your hashkafa?

simcha2

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 1:28 pm
I have her first two books on Tanach. I read them when they came out (more than 20 years ago) and remember finding them fascinating.

I'll have to reread.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 2:23 pm
Quote:
No, I am pretty sure she would not be approved. I don't mind pushing the envelope a bit (I never was good at following rules : )

I guess I'm just asking how far she goes beyond my hashkafa

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 2:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:
No, I am pretty sure she would not be approved. I don't mind pushing the envelope a bit (I never was good at following rules : )

I guess I'm just asking how far she goes beyond my hashkafa

The introduction to her second book should give you an idea of what's she's all about.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.....cerpt

Far.

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 3:18 pm
I love her writing. She’s one of my favorite writers. She also has some lectures online you could listen to.

Her work would not be accepted in mainstream chareidi society not least because she uses secular literature and philosophy to illustrate her pounds. However, my guess is that many of the people who find her work unacceptable also haven’t read it or understood it.

I don’t know where she falls in the realm of frumkeit. What I do know is that she has an incredible sensitivity and spirituality that comes through in her Torah, and I feel elevated and inspired when I read it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 3:34 pm
I don't have a particular problem with references to secular literature, although I think if someone is comparing the Avos or Moshe Rabbeinu to some fictional hero, that would be something I'd rather not encounter.

I started reading that intro (thank you!) but then the name Wittgenstein jumped out at me. Isn't he one of the originators of the biblical criticism theory, to which I was unfortunately exposed in my misspent youth. That is not something I want to read about, so if she deals with his ideas in more than a passing remark, it's not for me.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 3:38 pm
I found her bio here. She studied at Gateshead and worked on a book of shiurim of Rav Mordechai Miller z"l.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 3:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't have a particular problem with references to secular literature, although I think if someone is comparing the Avos or Moshe Rabbeinu to some fictional hero, that would be something I'd rather not encounter.

I started reading that intro (thank you!) but then the name Wittgenstein jumped out at me. Isn't he one of the originators of the biblical criticism theory, to which I was unfortunately exposed in my misspent youth. That is not something I want to read about, so if she deals with his ideas in more than a passing remark, it's not for me.

That's Wellhausen

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:13 am
She uses psychology and literary theory to understand Chumash. If you don't think there's anything to be learned from those disciplines, then she's not for you. Also, her writing is academic, so if you're not used to her style, you may have a hard time with it. She is frum and writes from a position of belief. I find her brilliant and fascinating.

ETA, Ludvig Wittgenstein was a philosopher of language. Julius Wellhausen was the Bible critic.

etky

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:23 am
I had the good fortune to attend her weekly Parshat Shavua class at Matan in Jerusalem one year, well over a decade ago.
I've also attended a few lectures since then, here and there.
Funny, I was just thinking about her today, in conjunction with this week's parsha.

etky

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:27 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
She uses psychology and literary theory to understand Chumash. If you don't think there's anything to be learned from those disciplines, then she's not for you. Also, her writing is academic, so if you're not used to her style, you may have a hard time with it. She is frum and writes from a position of belief. I find her brilliant and fascinating.

ETA, Ludvig Wittgenstein was a philosopher of language. Julius Wellhausen was the Bible critic.

This, and she also draws from the commentary of some renowned thinkers, especially IIRC the Meshech Chochmah and the Mei Hashiloach.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 7:11 pm
Quote:
Well I did google him & something about biblical criticism came up.

Please excuse the mistake. My misspent youth was several decades ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room