Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me organize my toy closet please!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 8:11 pm
I desperately need help in organizing my toy closet. Any tips? Links to containers, baskets, bins? Pics of your organised closet? Since I can’t actually afford an organiser, I really really need any help I can get...Please... pretty please!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 8:17 pm
I totally second that.
I'm putting in a 8 foot closet in my playroom/family room area.....
I need help/ideas!! any links/pictures would be sooo appreciated!!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 8:20 pm
Following same issue all my problems would be solved if I had an organizer. I can't figure out what containers size to buy. If your just looking for types of containers cheapest is sterlite containers in Walmart or target

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 8:27 pm
Clear containers are the easiest and neatest.

Get rid of what doesn't get used or store them away.

Which toys are you having a problem with?

rising hero

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 8:40 pm
Check out organizer accounts on Instagram for ideas and inspirations.

cbg

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 8:55 pm
If your kids play lego
The best is the lego mat that becomes a bag.
I’m a grandmother. I hesitated buying lego because I didn’t want all those tiny pieces all around my house. I caved but I also bought the mat.
Kids where São excited that it literally took 10 sec. to clean up
Just with a pull of string and they were able to easily move it from room to room with no mess.

I like to play with them but I can’t sit on the floor so they brought the lego to the kitchen table. No mess at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Portabl.....psc=1

Also if the kids have lots of matchbox cars the best way to organize them is in thread boxes

trixx

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 9:26 pm
1. Throw out any missing pieces or annoying battery toys
2. Get rid of anything your kids have outgrown
3. Store the rest by type. Building and blocks together. Vehicles. Pretend play and dress up. Food. Etc. Then you will see if there's any duplicate. Store in clear containers and label.
4. Have accessible only one of each type or by interest of child. Rotate toys in and out based on interest or to keep things exciting.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:03 pm
I see “clear containers” mentioned at least twice. Any suggestions to which exact ones to get?

trixx

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I see “clear containers” mentioned at least twice. Any suggestions to which exact ones to get?

Shoebox ones (from dollar Tree or target)
Or larger ones from target, whatever fits your space and your toys.
Also can use gallon or 2gallon (Challah size) ziploc to store loose parts but boxes are neater on a shelf.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:33 pm
I'd get a shelf with storage cubes and then use each cube for different toys.
https://www.target.com/p/11-34.....16810

trixx

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:35 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I'd get a shelf with storage cubes and then use each cube for different toys.
https://www.target.com/p/11-34.....16810

But this isn't for storage, it's for the toys that are out on display.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:36 pm
I keep the big bulky items on the floor in rubbermaid bins (a doll/dress up box, a lego box, a younger baby box with rattles and such) on the lower shelf the building toys - in big clear containers (magnatiles,clics,train tracks,mr potato etc) and the smaller toys in clear containers shoe box size a little higher up (menchies box, cars box, smaller toys sets etc)top shelf is the puzzles.
I have a sep closet for games. it even has a lock! with strict rules that whatever u take out u put back when u finish playing.
the games that are in their original boxes, I line up vertically . other games in clear sized containers that I matched up in walmart will fit the game (some of them its just the pieces and I store the boards separately
for card games - I bought in walmart, for $.88 clear card containers (they stack) and I keep in 3 labeled containers categorized in types. (found in office/supply section near index cards)

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:37 pm
walmart has an entire aisle of every size container. clear plastic with usually white or clear covers.

mfb

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:40 pm
Board game boxes standing on their side. I never believed it would work. It’s great because it used to be when they wanted the bottom game all the ones on top fell out. Now they can reach each game equally and no mess when they pull out a box.
I have oversized plastic drawers for things like clics, magnatiles, and cars... so they pull out the drawer from the pile play and then stick the drawer back in (also no piles to deal with)
Also an idea I saw on imamother that’s amazing is this container for card games. I labeled each one with the game that belongs in there. This is just the first place that came up on google but I bought it for probably under $20 I don’t remember where.
https://www.hammacher.com/prod.....nizer

Last edited by mfb on Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:41 pm
I like the sterilite clearview latchtop bins. We have mostly 27 quart (3 fit our closet side by side), and for smaller toys, the 15 quart size stacks 2 together to be the same size as the 27 quart. So it's all very neat.

https://www.target.com/p/steri.....metab

https://www.target.com/p/steri.....D_BwE

precious

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:47 pm
Sterilite 6 qt and 16 qt clear containers with lids, for things like clics, magnetic toys, puzzles, pegs, mr potato head, blocks, playstix etc. stacked on lower shelves. Board games in boxes on higher shelves. Bigger buckets for toys that are bigger like dolls and accessories, kitchen set, diplo, or train set. Then you can have an extra bucket or sterilite drawers for toys that aren't part of a set. All the container sizes depend on which toys you have and how much of each.

trixx

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 10:49 pm
mfb wrote:
Board game boxes standing on their side. I never believed it would work. It’s great because it used to be when they wanted the bottom game all the ones on top fell out. Now they can reach each game equally and no mess when they pull out a box.
I have oversized plastic drawers for things like clics, magnatiles, and cars... so they pull out the drawer from the pile play and then stick the drawer back in (also no piles to deal with)
Also an idea I saw on imamother that’s amazing is this container for card games. I labeled each one with the game that belongs in there. This is just the first place that came up on google but I bought it for probably under $20 I don’t remember where.
https://www.hammacher.com/prod.....nizer

Michael's sells it, it's called a 4x6 photo storage case

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:09 pm

hi! above I posted 2 images , I actually hired an organizer for it. I tried a few organizer but I think her method makes most sense. basically she makes sure that there is no empty room between containers everything fits like a puzzle. this way the shelves are maximized and you dont have the option of dumping thins random. also, every single item goes into a bin. she was very creative in getting the right size bins for every individual toy or supplies. best is to get clear bins! because with clips they might discotinue and you stay stuck if you want to add! I had the blue clips before and didnt want to dump them, but stores were out of these now... so the new containers are all clear. good luck!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:16 pm
What size container is the games? Who sells it?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:22 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

hi! above I posted 2 images , I actually hired an organizer for it. I tried a few organizer but I think her method makes most sense. basically she makes sure that there is no empty room between containers everything fits like a puzzle. this way the shelves are maximized and you dont have the option of dumping thins random. also, every single item goes into a bin. she was very creative in getting the right size bins for every individual toy or supplies. best is to get clear bins! because with clips they might discotinue and you stay stuck if you want to add! I had the blue clips before and didnt want to dump them, but stores were out of these now... so the new containers are all clear. good luck!

I am awed!!
a toy closet is like my night mare to organize!!
which organizer did you use?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics