Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Special silver gift for DH. Why doesn't anyone do this?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:02 pm
It's dh's special number birthday coming up and he has had such a tough year and worked so hard I want to reward him with a unique and special gift. I finally came up with the idea of sterling silver tefillin boxes because he already has a beautiful leather tallis and tefillin bag and recently put on new beautiful retzuas but when he davened at home I noticed that the boxes the tefillin are in are plastic and cheap looking. But going to the local silver stores it seems that sterling tefillin boxes are a rare item, almost like it's pas nisht. I don't have unfiltered internet so I can't search for shopping sites but when I was able to do a Google I saw that there are limited choices. So I ask you ladies, have you ever seen or heard of people using sterling silver tefillin boxes? I would think that it would make sense to close such kadosh items in a kavodik way but I wouldn't want to gift it to DH and then in shul he would feel awkward. Please help and advise!

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:04 pm
He will look and feel awkward. It's not done. I don't know the reason maybe someone else does.

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:05 pm
Before you search and spend $$$, please ask him if this is something he even wants.

mizle10

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:07 pm
My DH would not appreciate that. He doesn’t even use his silver esrog box which is very common to have, he feels weird and prefers the paper box the esrog comes in.

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:08 pm
Silver is very heavy. I can’t imagine shlepping tefillin around in a silver case.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:08 pm
I was hoping to surprise him with something new and very unique

mizle10

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:09 pm
Does he like to be unique?
If you know he does, go for it, otherwise I would think of something else

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:09 pm
cnc wrote:
Silver is very heavy. I can’t imagine shlepping tefillin around in a silver case.

The bag would still be leather, it's just the boxes themself that would be silver

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:10 pm
Etsy has for about $1000. I wouldn't buy such a thing without making sure DH would appreciate it and use it. It's so unusual, you don't really see it.

mizle10

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:15 pm
Also, just thinking out loud here because I really have no clue. It’s possible that halchicaly they can’t be silver if it’s not found in local judaica stores but on etsy. I have idea what the halachos of tefillin are. Just thinking how some parts of the Aron were wood and some were silver.
But again, I’m totally making this up lol.

amother
OP

mizle10 wrote:
Does he like to be unique?
If you know he does, go for it, otherwise I would think of something else

He's very geshikt, well put together, serious about his yiddishkeit, careful to get his atoroh polished before every yom tov, changes his shabbos tallis every year before Pesach. He has a beautiful silver esrog box from my parents which he is proud of. I know that he spent a lot of money replacing his retzuas recently and fixing up his tefillin, which he is proud is still from his bar mitzvah. He is turning 50 and works hard. He is Hungarian so he likes nice things, likes to dress and appear smart and put together. I figured silver cases for tefillin would be respectful to them and something he might like. I want to surprise him, if anyone would be able to ask their dh from a similar background what they would think of such a gift I would appreciate it so much

amother
Wine

Wow Iv never heard of that!!
never knew such a thing existed..
How come its not a thing like a silver atara?
Sounds funny...

Maybe get him a unique tefillin bag or something like that.
Men like to be in charge of their special mitzva items...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:20 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Etsy has for about $1000. I wouldn't buy such a thing without making sure DH would appreciate it and use it. It's so unusual, you don't really see it.

I've not heard of esty. If such a thing is for sale on a frum site, and the price is within my budget, maybe it IS an appropriate thing?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:21 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Wow Iv never heard of that!!
never knew such a thing existed..
How come its not a thing like a silver atara?
Sounds funny...

Maybe get him a unique tefillin bag or something like that.
Men like to be in charge of their special mitzva items...

That's my fear that I would get him something that he would be upset by. But if a sefer Torah goes in special silver and a mezuzah I would think that tefillin should also.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:23 pm
https://ahuva.com/products/sil.....cases

amother
Cerise

I don't think silver boxes for tefillin are a thing. There are definitely nicer boxes than peeling plastic but silver isn't really done. I'd recommend coming up with another creative idea

amother
Wine

Yes, youre right.
Thinking about it totally does make sense but I never ever heard about it.

Maybe a nice mirror to keep in the bag, they use it to check it is on right...

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:24 pm
Very odd.
He would be the only person wearing this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
https://ahuva.com/products/silver-gold-tefillin-cases

I can't check that from here but will when I can. I really appreciate all the feedback and definitely don't want to do anything if it is pas nisht. If someone here from a heimish background wouldn't mind to ask their DH if in theory they've heard of such a thing and how it would be received in would really really appreciate it
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics