Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Special silver gift for DH. Why doesn't anyone do this?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've not heard of esty. If such a thing is for sale on a frum site, and the price is within my budget, maybe it IS an appropriate thing?

I could be wrong but I don’t think Etsy is a frum site

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:40 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

Oysh I read it as Esty!

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:42 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

Correct. It's a marketplace to sell handmade and unique items, jewelry, art and much more. You can find vintage items as well such as vintage judaica and Jewish artists making unique things. I'm not surprised that OP found what she is looking for in etsy, it's literally for unique things.

amother
Blush

amother [ Rose ] wrote:

It's not a frum site but many sellers are frum.

amother
Linen

What you’re saying makes sense.
Literally everything special goes in silver,
Sefer Torah crown, Esrog box, candle sticks, kiddush becher.
I think if tefillin doesn’t (and it really doesn’t! Maybe just in museums it does) then there’s a reason.
Maybe plastic is more comfortable on the head? I wouldn’t want metal on my head, not even silver metal. It would be heavy, cold and migraine inducing.
I have a feeling it will end up in your breakfront.
If you don’t mind that it might end up in your breakfront then go for it.
I think that’s worse case scenario... but I give that scenario a high chance of occurring.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:45 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
What you’re saying makes sense.
Literally everything special goes in silver,
Sefer Torah crown, Esrog box, candle sticks, kiddush becher.
I think if tefillin doesn’t (and it really doesn’t! Maybe just in museums it does) then there’s a reason.
Maybe plastic is more comfortable on the head? I wouldn’t want metal on my head, not even silver metal. It would be heavy, cold and migraine inducing.
I have a feeling it will end up in your breakfront.
If you don’t mind that it might end up in your breakfront then go for it.
I think that’s worse case scenario... but I give that scenario a high chance of occurring.

The plastic doesn't go on the head, it's just a holder for the tefillin. The tefillin that goes on the head and arm is leather.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:46 pm
Just an idea-
My father in law is also Hungarian style and he has a kittel with silver on it for lail haseder, the kittel is full of silver on the front top (atoro style) and also on the cuffs I think.
When I saw it for the first time I thought it was the weirdest thing because a kittel is like tachrichim But he seems to really enjoy it. He’s not much older than your dh.
Maybe that’s a better idea

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:50 pm
I think the plastic might be protective to the natural materials underneath. If it was ok to have it silver, they'd sell it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:50 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Just an idea-
My father in law is also Hungarian style and he has a kittel with silver on it for lail haseder, the kittel is full of silver on the front top (atoro style) and also on the cuffs I think.
When I saw it for the first time I thought it was the weirdest thing because a kittel is like tachrichim But he seems to really enjoy it. He’s not much older than your dh.
Maybe that’s a better idea

Yes - DH has such a kittel from my parents!

momto2

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:58 pm
I just asked my husband and he said he's seen people with silver cases in shul but it's very rare.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:00 pm
momto2 wrote:
I just asked my husband and he said he's seen people with silver cases in shul but it's very rare.

Thank you so much for asking. The million dollar question is if be thinks it's weird, or nice??

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:11 pm
I also asked my husband and he said the same thing. There are several people in his chassidishe shul that have silver tefillos boxes. He thinks they are very nice but he wasn’t sure if they are practical.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:13 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I also asked my husband and he said the same thing. There are several people in his chassidishe shul that have silver tefillos boxes. He thinks they are very nice but he wasn’t sure if they are practical.

Thank you so much. I will need to try to find time to go to online and do some research but it seems that it's not such an out there idea. Thanks to everyone

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:24 pm
We’re chasidish With Hungarian background I and I just asked my husband. He says he definitely saw them, and it’s a beautiful thing. He says if a 50 year old would wear them it wouldn’t be odd at all.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:30 pm
I think it's nuts to buy a surprise bday gift for a husband, that you are not sure he'll appreciate and is something not standard. What's the big deal to just ask him? I don't get why it has to be a surprise. The surprise could be when you're asking him.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:32 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
We’re chasidish With Hungarian background I and I just asked my husband. He says he definitely saw them, and it’s a beautiful thing. He says if a 50 year old would wear them it wouldn’t be odd at all.

Thanks so much for asking him and sharing the answer!

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much for asking him and sharing the answer!

I think they are beautiful! I'm going to ask my husband if he has seen these.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:38 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I think it's nuts to buy a surprise bday gift for a husband, that you are not sure he'll appreciate and is something not standard. What's the big deal to just ask him? I don't get why it has to be a surprise. The surprise could be when you're asking him.

We are married more than 30 years and I DO know him! I know that he likes nice things and was involved in buying me nice jewelry and helped picked out leichters for our daughters in law as well as menorah's, aturehs and things for the sons in law. When it comes to what happens in shul though is where I am unsure. For example I have never been to the men's side of shul, never been to shul on a weekday other than a bris and then wasn't looking down to see the men's area and their tefillin. I was thinking and thinking of something that would suit a businessman turning 50, who loves yiddishkeit and loves to keep his divrei kidusha in very kavodik ways, his lullav box is stunning as is his esrog box. His atureh is always polished and nice. His tallis and tefillin bag are fine leather. I wanted to surprise him with something holy that he would never think to buy for himself that will make him proud to honor his tefillin.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:42 pm
So I just asked my Hungarian dh, he said He’s seen chasidim with it.
When I asked if he would ever want it, he said no, too gaudy and showy. So it depends how chasidish you are I guess.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are married more than 30 years and I DO know him! I know that he likes nice things and was involved in buying me nice jewelry and helped picked out leichters for our daughters in law as well as menorah's, aturehs and things for the sons in law. When it comes to what happens in shul though is where I am unsure. For example I have never been to the men's side of shul, never been to shul on a weekday other than a bris and then wasn't looking down to see the men's area and their tefillin. I was thinking and thinking of something that would suit a businessman turning 50, who loves yiddishkeit and loves to keep his divrei kidusha in very kavodik ways, his lullav box is stunning as is his esrog box. His atureh is always polished and nice. His tallis and tefillin bag are fine leather. I wanted to surprise him with something holy that he would never think to buy for himself that will make him proud to honor his tefillin.

Yes it sounds very his type and he’s lucky to have such a caring wife.
And it’s true that these boxes don’t go directly on the head so no migraine problem.
Also, some stores might let you refund or at least exchange if you’re not engraving anything on it.
Maybe Just be clear to him that you’re not disappointed if he wants to exchange it for something else from the store. Even new salt shakers can be exciting.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics