Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Hardwood floors or click in vinyl for bedrooms

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 8:05 pm
I would like to take out all my carpets, and put in either hardboard or click in vinyl. What are the pros and cons of both? They're both priced out, so it's not so much a financing question although it is a little bit. Just wondering why people have and what they are happy with.
Also, I am due in a month so I am deciding also based on that what I would rather do. For hardwood, I definitely would have to move out for about a week. For the vinyl I could probably do it while I'm in the house.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 8:35 pm
Hardwood, if done correctly, lasts a really long time. It also increases the value of the house. As long as you're reasonably responsible with it, it looks good even when it's really old.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 8:41 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Hardwood, if done correctly, lasts a really long time. It also increases the value of the house. As long as you're reasonably responsible with it, it looks good even when it's really old.

I know that it lasts really long etc. Dont think it will increase value in my house by much honestly.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:15 pm
a vote for hardwood.

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:53 pm
Hardwood is obviously more beautiful and elegant than vinyl floors.

You don't need to move out though because there are pre-finished hardwood floors which are installed just like vinyl floors. Some are solid hardwood and some are engineered hardwood. There is nothing wrong with a good quality engineered hardwood by the way as it is generally used in many classes where solid hardwood would not be feasible such as slab construction or high humidity climates.

There are different qualities of pre-finished hardwood - especially engineered hardwood. In some ways it is better than site finished as the finish of a high quality engineered wood floor can be more durable than site finished.

But it really comes down to economics - hardwood is more expensive than vinyl. Some homes would have an expectation of hardwood whereas less expensive starter homes wouldn't as many less expensive homes have vinyl or laminate flooring of some kind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics