Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Asian Lamb Chops

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:46 am
I hadn't cooked from The Silver Palate for years but decided to make something from it and it has stood the test of time. Much of what was considered daring when the books were published are now fairly ordinary in terms of ingredients and preparation - I don't think new cookbooks would need to explain what sesame oil is. Very Happy

To complete the Asian theme, I served with a Chile-Garlic Cucumber Salad and a vaguely Asian tasting rice pilaf

ASIAN LAMB CHOPS

Excerpt From: Julee Rosso. “The Silver Palate Cookbook.” Apple Books.

3 tablespoons dark sesame oil
6 thick shoulder-cut lamb chops, trimmed of excess fat
¾ cup finely chopped yellow onion
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons Chile paste (Sambal Oeleki)
¾ cup tart orange marmalade
1½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1. Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chops and brown them lightly on both sides. Transfer the chops to paper towels to drain.

2. Add the onion and garlic and cook, covered, over low heat until tender and lightly colored, 20 minutes.

3. Add the soy sauce, chili paste, marmalade, vinegar, and ginger. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

4. Return the chops to the skillet, cover, and cook over low heat, turning once, until done, about 7 minutes. Serve immediately, spooning the sauce over the chops.

animeme

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:50 am
Yum! Would you make this with ribs? I feel like that's what my family would like. Or do you need that extra specific taste lamb has?

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:56 am
animeme wrote:
Yum! Would you make this with ribs? I feel like that's what my family would like. Or do you need that extra specific taste lamb has?

I think the flavors would go with beef as well - why not?

I think the problem might be the preparation since the sauce is cooked in the pan with the seared chops and ribs are generally marinated and then grilled or cooked or braised - so this is a sauce rather than a marinade.

I generally marinate ribs with a hoisin base - with garlic; honey or sugar; soy and it's got a similar type of flavor palate but preparation of the marinade is a bit different.

simcha2

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 9:36 am
Wish I could get lamb here. I miss making tagine with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics