Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Anyone watched bridgerton-netflix adaptation of julia quinn
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 5:12 pm
Just been watching Netflix's adaptation of Julia Quinn's series, Bridgertons. At first I wasn't going to watch it, but it was a great piece of light watching and perfect escapism. Didn't like how many bedroom scenes I had to skip though. Also wasn't sure whether I liked their choice of the Duke, but he actually played it really well.

Anyone else watched it and have any opinions?

fmt4

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 5:14 pm
On the fourth episode - no spoilers! It’s really cute so far. I thought it was funny how innocent the girls were - reminded me of the frum community!

caffeine99

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 5:16 pm
I binged the entire thing yesterday. Pm me if you want to discuss!!!

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 5:18 pm
I really enjoyed it! I've read the books and it was pretty different, but what I expected considering Shonda Rimes was the producer. I wish there were more shows with happy endings out there! I'm hoping if it does well they'll make more. And the Duke is so dreamy 🤩

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 5:24 pm
It's beautifully made. The costumes and sets are gorgeous. It feels like the saturation has been turned way up, in the best way possible.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 5:50 pm
I read the books many years ago, and I enjoyed the dialogue so much, I remember wondering why there wasn't a movie made! Was so tickled to see the ad for the Netflix series randomly. I don't have netflix and don't watch movies usually, but should I decide to watch this...how does netflix work? Can I subscribe for just a series? Or can I pay to watch this elsewhere?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 5:55 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I read the books many years ago, and I enjoyed the dialogue so much, I remember wondering why there wasn't a movie made! Was so tickled to see the ad for the Netflix series randomly. I don't have netflix and don't watch movies usually, but should I decide to watch this...how does netflix work? Can I subscribe for just a series? Or can I pay to watch this elsewhere?

Netflix is a subscription. You pay and you can access everything they show

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:00 pm
Yup. binged it while catching up with housework
And I was right about who the secret gossip is

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:05 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

You can probably get a free trial if you sign up and then cancel in time. You just have to watch it quickly then. Or you can pay for a month and then cancel. Just FYI if you don't watch movies because you're careful about watching "clean" stuff, this isn't the series for you.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:13 pm
I just started it and am loving all the bright colours.
What I don't get though is why the need to erase and re-write history in the name of "diversity". What next? A jewish Cleopatra? An Indian Mr. Heathcliff? A transgendered Cinderella?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:24 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
What I don't get though is why the need to erase and re-write history in the name of "diversity". What next? A jewish Cleopatra? An Indian Mr. Heathcliff? A transgendered Cinderella?

One Jewish Cleopatra coming right up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a.....6492/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:33 pm
Did anyone else catch on to who Marina is-I only realised most of the way through the series who Marina actually is. I mean I suppose you hear the name of the suitor but I didn't put the pieces together until I was looking at the books to re-read the series and suddenly a light went on.

caffeine99

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did anyone else catch on to who Marina is-I only realised most of the way through the series who Marina actually is. I mean I suppose you hear the name of the suitor but I didn't put the pieces together until I was looking at the books to re-read the series and suddenly a light went on.

Not at all

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, I was so confused how they stuck that in. I believe in the books she was a Bridgerton relative, not a featherington.

Either way, I wonder if I am the only one disappointed in the series. If it was a separate story with no books I would be completely into it.
But they based it on the books, completley changed the story line, picked awful actors and actresses in my opinion and took the romance of the books out of it. I'm all for artistic license but this took it too far. It ruined the images in my head of what the characters should look like as not a one matched the stories, save for the featheringtons. And also, they took a loving devoted mother and children, the basis of the books, and turned them vindictive and argumentative.
I liked the watch itself. Hate that they ruined the book images for me .

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:06 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:

Exactly!! It's because Shonda Rhimes is black. She's super into black rights - which I have zero problem with. But I find she takes it too far in many of her shows.

caffeine99

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:07 pm
I actually wish I read the books first... Didn't know about them until after

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:11 pm
We binged them motzei shabbos and Sunday night. My husband actually was more into them than me! I read the books years ago and loved them. Didn't love the diversity aspect. It was a distraction and not in line with either the time period or the books. The Bridgertons are one of my favorite literary families and I was so disappointed to see Eloise and Francesca looking as they do in the show. The Featherington's were spot on to what I imagined though. Overall, it was a nice binge but nothing compared to the books. The books were 1000% better, IMO.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:14 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
We binged them motzei shabbos and Sunday night. My husband actually was more into them than me! I read the books years ago and loved them. Didn't love the diversity aspect. It was a distraction and not in line with either the time period or the books. The Bridgertons are one of my favorite literary families and I was so disappointed to see Eloise and Francesca looking as they do in the show. The Featherington's were spot on to what I imagined though. Overall, it was a nice binge but nothing compared to the books. The books were 1000% better, IMO.

Agree. Love all the books, minus Eloise and Gregory.
In my mind Francesca is beautiful, definitely based on her book and I was so disappointed by her. I think the cast was awful with the exception of the featheringtons.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:35 pm
Sometimes colorblind (maybe really race-aware) casting in period pieces bugs me but I thought it was well done here. I liked the casting ofLady Danbury and the Duke a lot and the only thing I didn't care for was the queen and her whole subplot, but not because of her casting, just because I hate it when they stick royal characters in because it makes everything even more unbelievable.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Sometimes colorblind (maybe really race-aware) casting in period pieces bugs me but I thought it was well done here. I liked the casting ofLady Danbury and the Duke a lot and the only thing I didn't care for was the queen and her whole subplot, but not because of her casting, just because I hate it when they stick royal characters in because it makes everything even more unbelievable.

There's no way the queen would realistically go to all those balls and be in on all the gossip.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics