Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Sending food to nurses

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 7:30 pm
I would like to send a present to the nurses on a certain hospital floor. Someone suggested sending them coffee and Dunkin Donuts. But I am not in the area and can't bring anything in (and don't think it's even possible with covid). Has anyone sent something like an UberEats digital gift certificate to a hospital floor? How do you know how much to send? How would I send it? I really want to send them something but no idea how to begin.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 7:44 pm
Maybe try reaching out to kosher response on Instagram

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:10 pm
Just don’t send sushi. Non Jews think it’s really odd and they’re concerned about eating raw fish with out knowing freshness

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:28 pm
Can’t you use a delivery service to send food. Almost all restaurants and major supermarkets use one of the delivery services.

A tray of cookies is welcome.

With local delivery services you can specify the floor.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 9:47 pm
We brought donuts on Chanukah. The hospital rule now with Covid, everything needs to be wrapped. We wrapped box full of donuts with saran wrap & put it onto nurse station desk for them to share.

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 9:49 pm
Cookies, chocolates are nice in general.

Donuts for Chanukah

Hamantashen for Purim

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 9:50 pm
Maybe only give pre-packaged stuff for each nurse individually

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 10:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would like to send a present to the nurses on a certain hospital floor. Someone suggested sending them coffee and Dunkin Donuts. But I am not in the area and can't bring anything in (and don't think it's even possible with covid). Has anyone sent something like an UberEats digital gift certificate to a hospital floor? How do you know how much to send? How would I send it? I really want to send them something but no idea how to begin.

It depends on how big the unit is. We did once (while inpatient) 2 full boxes of donuts, which I think was 20 donuts each. It covered perfectly and we even had for the night shift.

Don’t know how ubereats digital certificate works. But my suggestion is to call the unit & ask them how their food deliveries work these days and if there are any specific eateries they can order from.
We had planned a pizza party (pre Covid) and got a list of 3 of the most popular (ordered from) pizzerias in the area from one of the nurses.
Also, you can maybe post hospital name and if a poster has a family member there they can perhaps help get something over. I will iyh be in a NYC hospital twice this week and would be happy to drop something off if it happens to be that hospital.

To poster saying no sushi- that’s interesting, because it was my non Jewish roommate who did a full sushi party for the icu staff.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 10:54 pm
Adding to above- if you call the unit, you can ask them approximately how many staff members on the unit. When we did the donut party we calculated about how many nurses work a shift plus doctors, techs, respiratory therapists etc.
if there are specific nurses you want to thank, then check if theyre working that shift.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:06 pm
Could be they only want individually wrapped stuff and not a communal box or tray.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 12:07 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
It depends on how big the unit is. We did once (while inpatient) 2 full boxes of donuts, which I think was 20 donuts each. It covered perfectly and we even had for the night shift.

Don’t know how ubereats digital certificate works. But my suggestion is to call the unit & ask them how their food deliveries work these days and if there are any specific eateries they can order from.
We had planned a pizza party (pre Covid) and got a list of 3 of the most popular (ordered from) pizzerias in the area from one of the nurses.
Also, you can maybe post hospital name and if a poster has a family member there they can perhaps help get something over. I will iyh be in a NYC hospital twice this week and would be happy to drop something off if it happens to be that hospital.

To poster saying no sushi- that’s interesting, because it was my non Jewish roommate who did a full sushi party for the icu staff.

I work at a major NYC hospital. The frum families often send sushi. The non Jewish staff won’t touch the stuff. They don’t know how long it’s been out or how it was kept cold. They talk abour it which is how I know. (I’m not a sushi person) id hate for people to spend money on something I often seen get dumped because no one (or not enough people) eat

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 5:25 am
It’s not homemade sushi, forest green, is it?
Do they question other fast food places too? Wadr sounds like it’s a mishegas some people specifically have in your place. I mean, most sushi these days is not even made with raw fish, so why is it different than any other food?

I don’t like sushi, and probably would never send, but I’m surprised to hear what you’re saying...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 6:28 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
It’s not homemade sushi, forest green, is it?
Do they question other fast food places too? Wadr sounds like it’s a mishegas some people specifically have in your place. I mean, most sushi these days is not even made with raw fish, so why is it different than any other food?

I don’t like sushi, and probably would never send, but I’m surprised to hear what you’re saying...

No sushi from a restaurant. Maybe that’s the point: while most kosher sushi isn’t necessarily made with raw fish most non kosher sushi is. Why are they to assume it’s different?

In any case ultimately anyone could send anything and it’s appreciated. I just gave my unsolicited 2 cents

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 6:37 am
So thoughtful of you to send!!!
Please send food which is individually wrapped from a company (ie. not Saran wrapped by you).
I work in a dialysis clinic. We have gotten a lovely number of food gifts and the only ones actually eaten since COVID started are the snacks which are factory wrapped. You can send a Costco size box of individual potato chip bags or Pepperidge Farms Milano individually wrapped cookies they come in box with 2 cookies per sleeve. It doesn’t need to be fancy to be appreciated. Last week we got 2 boxes of individually packaged macaroons-not my thing but they were OU and individually wrapped.
It is such a beautiful kiddush Hashem to show hakarat hatov and send. Kol hakavod.

Stars

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 6:42 am
You can do a big box of individually wrapped chocolates with a nice card.
Right now I wouldn’t do any unwrapped or cooked food items.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 6:44 am
Earlier in the pandemic, our community collected money to send packed box lunches from kosher restaurants to healthcare workers at a local hospital. Each week, lunches would be sent from a different kosher restaurant.

It was nice, because in addition to doing a chessed for the healthcare workers it also helped the restaurants with large catering orders at a time when they were really struggling.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 10:04 am
Check out kosherresponse.com, Email: gabriel@kosherresponse.com, Phone: 516.805.9209. You can send pizza, Shabbos in a box or other things. The commercial company is Kosher Guru, and Kosher Response is their not-for-profit program for sending food to healthcare, fire, police and other COVID responders.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics