Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
An observation about imamother
Previous  1  2

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Only on imamother.

Q: Tell me about the bugaboo fox
A: get the uppa baby vista (posts get a bunch of thumbs up)

Q: tell me about becoming a dr
A: become a PT (post gets a bunch of thumbs up)

Lol a common trend I noticed here. People love to hate on the newer, the prettier, the trendier, the more talented, the smarter, the more expensive.
What’s the deal?!?

Throw the πŸ… tomatoes

Throwing potatoes is a better idea.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 11:32 am
zaq wrote:
Well, yes, this is true. Telling someone who wants to be X that she should be X minus Y is insulting. Depressing someone's ambitions is just wrong. It's the sort of condescending thing male advisors would tell female students back in the Dark Ages.

But I was responding specifically to the post about imamothers being proud of how little they spend, not about jealous cats who don't have prestigious careers and don't want anyone else to achieve any more than they did.

Ur awesome zaq. Love everything u wrote. I think what got me to write the OP was how irking it was to me to stifle dreams of being a Dr.
Thanks for putting my thoughts into words...

chicco

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 11:42 am
When people ask a question on a public forum, they are asking for other people's opinions. When someone responds on a public forum, they take the liberty to give the best advice they have to offer with reckless abandon, because they can and there are no personal repercussions. How many times do we have to curtail our true feelings on a matter for fear of how someone would take it/it is not our place? That's not relevant here. Sure people should be respectful, but sharing your honest opinion on the matter beyond the scope of the question, I still think is fair.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 11:56 am
Please remember that in the thread being referred to:

(1) It is not the OP who is thinking of med school, but her child;

(2) She specifically referred to other professions, asking if they were "easier";

(3) She asked if it was is "grueling and difficult and he won't see his family while working hard for at least 5-10 years." It is. Residents work up to 80 hours a week, and sometimes have shifts of 24 hours or longer.

People suggested other medical-related professions that allow more time at home, which OP asked about. They should not be criticized for it.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 12:54 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Please remember that in the thread being referred to:

(1) It is not the OP who is thinking of med school, but her child;

(2) She specifically referred to other professions, asking if they were "easier";

(3) She asked if it was is "grueling and difficult and he won't see his family while working hard for at least 5-10 years." It is. Residents work up to 80 hours a week, and sometimes have shifts of 24 hours or longer.

People suggested other medical-related professions that allow more time at home, which OP asked about. They should not be criticized for it.

When a person asks for advice, a responder should not inject her personal biases, just as a parent should not allow her own fears and biases to color her advice to someone else. If you're afraid of heights, you should not be telling people to avoid visiting the Eiffel Tower. OTOH, any honest person should present both pluses and minuses of any contemplated action, and if you know your questioner is afraid of heights, you should say that going to the top viewing level of the tower may be frightening for those who have this condition. What you should not do is simply say "Forget the tower; visit the Louvre."

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 1:30 pm
zaq wrote:
When a person asks for advice, a responder should not inject her personal biases, just as a parent should not allow her own fears and biases to color her advice to someone else. If you're afraid of heights, you should not be telling people to avoid visiting the Eiffel Tower. OTOH, any honest person should present both pluses and minuses of any contemplated action, and if you know your questioner is afraid of heights, you should say that going to the top viewing level of the tower may be frightening for those who have this condition. What you should not do is simply say "Forget the tower; visit the Louvre."

I was one of the posters who encouraged op's son to aim for medical school. That said, I respect the opinion of someone who says, I went to medical school, and if I could go back in time, I would have done something else. That's a fair piece of advice, which the op can choose to consider.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:15 am
zaq wrote:
When a person asks for advice, a responder should not inject her personal biases, "

Exactly! As amother with the silent married dd, tomatoes and whatnot were thrown at me for being abusive although it's totally not true. BTW we made it up very soon after that and dd acknowledged she'd been insensitive, since then telling me everything on her own accord. My initial question was, while I was crying writing the OP, how to react to SIL's text. The answer was, 'You've been an abusive mother, you deserve this'. Huh.

imaima

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Only on imamother.

Lol a common trend I noticed here. People love to hate on the newer, the prettier, the trendier, the more talented, the smarter, the more expensive.
What’s the deal?!?

Throw the πŸ… tomatoes

right

"How I hate and envy INTJs and other smart wealthy beautiful people"

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Only on imamother.

What’s the deal?!?

Throw the πŸ… tomatoes

As both a PT and an owner of the Uppababy Vista I think your post is obnoxious.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:14 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:

???? Scratching Head

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:05 am
Op is not dissing your choices just asking that all reasonable choices and differences be mutually respected imho

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:06 am
B”H not a communist country where we all have to March in lockstep Chas v sholom

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:23 am

Omg what?! I’m very sorry if I offended you but u clearly missed my point
Signed, not an MD and don’t down a bugaboo fox

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:35 am

LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics