Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do people really take this stuff so seriously?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:10 pm
Of course it's ridiculous, there is one and only one true way to categorize and understand people. Sorting them into Hogwarts houses Tongue Out

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:25 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Of course it's ridiculous, there is one and only one true way to categorize and understand people. Sorting them into Hogwarts houses Tongue Out

I thought it was handwriting analysis.

Or was that reading chicken entrails?

I can never keep the two straight, it's all the same to me.

Why are we in such a rush to get to know people so completely, so quickly? What ever happened to having conversations?

It's like life is one big b'show, and I don't like it. Not one bit.

Siriusly?

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:30 pm

Nope, definitely the pasta shapes! C’mon, tell me you don’t have a ravioli in your life - that coworker who looks a bit flat but when you get to know her she has a rich filling inside? What about that new spaghetti neighbour who was so rigid and straight but once your relationship “cooked” a little, she became much more flexible?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:32 pm
Siriusly? wrote:
Nope, definitely the pasta shapes! C’mon, tell me you don’t have a ravioli in your life - that coworker who looks a bit flat but when you get to know her she has a rich filling inside? What about that new spaghetti neighbour who was so rigid and straight but once your relationship “cooked” a little, she became much more flexible?

If Siriusly isn't all in on the Soting Hat... Olam hafuch, what can I say

Siriusly?

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:37 pm
If Siriusly isn't all in on the Soting Hat... Olam hafuch, what can I say

Oh, I was, but the pasta thread convinced me LOL

(Don’t worry, fellow Gryffindors (with a Ravenclaw wing!), you’ll always hold a special place in my heart)

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:40 pm
I don’t take it seriously at all for a bunch of reasons, but none of them are religious

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:47 pm
I will explain why I think the personality sorting is fab.
But it only helps for those who have the interest, patience and technical type of head for it.
Until I discovered Myer-Briggs, I couldn't understand why on earth people behaved in certain ways, including myself. Within my own family I felt a misfit.
People are mainly made up of NATURE and NURTURE. Myer-Briggs discusses NATURE which is your inherited temperament. It's like''science'' based on observing many people and classifying the way they think, behave, their values, strengths etc

Now I have learned a basic categorization which most most people fall into - like it or not. Of course there are exceptions and ENVIRONMENT and working on yourself makes a diff to personality too.

E.G. So that's why my MIL is nuts about tradition and so dreadfully frugal when my mom is not. It's her basic nature. And DH hates parties. And my boss manipulates/manages people like a wizard, while my SIL thinks that life is a stage. ETC ETC
When I get annoyed with people I look them up on the page and read all about them and feel so much better. It's their nature so what do I expect.
It helps me enormously with understanding my kids, too. I see which ones need e.g. autonomy independence most, which need loads of affirmation.
It's an amazing tool for those who can and want to use it. MOST PEOPLE THINK IT'S NUTS from my experience.

Now I know the book inside out I don't obsess about it. Just part of my education like I know food-science to help me cook successfully.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 5:11 pm
I’m personally turned off by this stuff because- duh- we’re all different. IMO, each person in the world should be in their own category. But a friend of mine is into it and she explained to me that it helps her to be less judgmental and get along better with others. She understands that they think and feel and see the world differently than she does and she is therefore able to accept people for who they are.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 5:16 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I’m personally turned off by this stuff because- duh- we’re all different. IMO, each person in the world should be in their own category. But a friend of mine is into it and she explained to me that it helps her to be less judgmental and get along better with others. She understands that they think and feel and see the world differently than she does and she is therefore able to accept people for who they are.

That actually makes some sense.

I'm super empathetic, so I prefer to get to know people as individuals. If I had more trouble reading people, the tests could be a really helpful tool. Who am I to take away someone's coping mechanism? If it works, more power to ya!

number

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 5:22 pm
It’s junk science but it has a kernel of truth. I got interested in it at one point because I was writing fiction. Mbti is a great way to make sure you include a variety of character types in your work. And then I went further down the rabbit hole and found some really cool work that may or may not be total nonsense. This book was my favorite: https://www.amazon.com/Was-Tha.....61703

Bleemee

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I've got two graduate degrees in psychology and am fully aware of how useless and non-scientific the majority of the academic community views this stuff. Thanks anyway.

Here's a Vox explainer on how meaningless Myers-Briggs is. Very little predictive power, inconsistent in results, etc.

https://www.vox.com/2014/7/15/.....gless
In the article it states, “Thousands of professional psychologists have evaluated the century-old Myers-Briggs, found it to be inaccurate and arbitrary, and devised better systems for evaluating personality.”
Can you elaborate on what those are?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 7:38 pm
I also used to think this stuff was junk science too, until I took the enneagram. It got me so deep is crazy. This is real.

I've been listening to dr Tom Lahue on YouTube talking about my type, and the things has telling me is having me laughing and crying, literally. (type 4 wing 5, social subtype)

My type is sensitive, creative, in touch with my emotions, needs to be alone.

But it gets me on a much deeper level too. Like how I crave being able to "fit in" but at the same time I am afraid to "blend in." to the point where I wont wear the super popular trends, because Im afraid if I do that then I have no identity and sort of disappear... Even in high school I was always getting in trouble for wearing non-uniform sweatshirts. I didn't even realize that's why I do it, but it's true.

That I've tried on several identities for size including specifically goth. (Well, a toned down frum variation.)

That I feel like I am fundamentally different from everyone else, and I am always on the outside looking in. That I feel like there's something missing with me that everyone can see except me.

There's so much more but I'll stop.

He gives such spot on advice for people of my type. That I think too much and act too little, and I need to stop having such a long conversations with myself in my head, and, "what is wrong with me that I think there's something wrong with me?"

Anyways I'm sure this enneagram doesn't work so well for everyone, but it's definitely real.

Zehava

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:01 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I also used to think this stuff was junk science too, until I took the enneagram. It got me so deep is crazy. This is real.

I've been listening to dr Tom Lahue on YouTube talking about my type, and the things has telling me is having me laughing and crying, literally. (type 4 wing 5, social subtype)

But it gets me on a much deeper level too. Like how I crave being able to "fit in" but at the same time I am afraid to "blend in." to the point where I wont wear the super popular trends, because Im afraid if I do that then I have no identity and sort of disappear... Even in high school I was always getting in trouble for wearing non-uniform sweatshirts. I didn't even realize that's why I do it, but it's true.

That I've tried on several identities for size including specifically goth. (Well, a toned down frum variation.)

That I feel like I am fundamentally different from everyone else, and I am always on the outside looking in. That I feel like there's something missing with me that everyone can see except me.

He gives such spot on advice for people of my type. That I think too much and act too little, and I need to stop having such a long conversations with myself in my head, and, "what is wrong with me that I think there's something wrong with me?"

Anyways I'm sure this enneagram doesn't work so well for everyone, but it's definitely real.

Me too
And yet much of why I felt fundamentally defective was because of trauma. Ever since I began to heal a lot of it changed.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:06 pm

I might be one of those people who it doesn’t work so well for. I took my test for fun and saw no surprises. And then I read through all of the other types, and they all seemed so generic.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:24 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I might be one of those people who it doesn’t work so well for. I took my test for fun and saw no surprises. And then I read through all of the other types, and they all seemed so generic.

The enneagram types each have subtypes. (And wings)If you find that there are parts about your number that don't fit you, it could be that you need to find your subtype.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:31 pm
The enneagram types each have subtypes. (And wings)If you find that there are parts about your number that don't fit you, it could be that you need to find your subtype.

I know. I took it. I felt scammed LOL

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just reading through the recent threads about personality types (myers briggs, enneagram etc) and I'm totally blown away.
The way people talk about them, as if they're a religion. and the way they talk about their type, as if it Defines Their Destiny and Shapes Their Life.
So anti Torah values...
Craziness

There's a lot of research that goes into it. I don't look at it as a religion but I use it as a tool, mostly for understanding people. If I have a misunderstanding with someone , by knowing their type I can know where they are coming from. ESTJs lead with extraverted thinking.... So if I look at a picture and say that the picture reminds me of a this deep random idea, that type is more likely to look at me like I have two heads... Because that is not what it looks like... As opposed to another intuitive type... Im rarely as offended by people as much, cause I know they just see things differently or aren't as sensitive naturally.

number

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:34 pm
It’s as legit as the mbti. Slightly more reliable than noodle types or hogwarts.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:34 pm

You took one that told you your subtype? Which one did you take?

I'm just curious because the one I took only gave me my number, and I figured out the other stuff when I did research.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:56 pm
number wrote:
It’s as legit as the mbti. Slightly more reliable than noodle types or hogwarts.

Yup. The noodle type totally nailed it
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics