Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Overwhelmed from feeding my baby

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 7:57 pm
I’m a SAHM and I feel like all I do all day is feed my baby. He is 10 months old and is nursing and my dr says 3 meals and 2 snacks a day of solids. He makes such a huge mess by every meal time it means an almost bath in the sink, cleaning his high chair and changing his clothes. The feedings just keeps on coming and I feel like there is no break. Is this normal?
Any good ideas for easy food to feed him? Thanks.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:12 pm
It's absolutely normal.

Try giving finger foods that he can feed himself, instead of having to spoon mushy food into his mouth. Much less mess, and he can work on fine motor skills.

Get a plastic tarp or shower curtain to put under the high chair. Once everything is wiped down, just shake out the tarp, and your floor is saved.

If you can, hire a mother's helper a few days a week to do stuff like laundry and light housekeeping. See if she can take care of the baby for an hour so you can get a nap or go for a walk on your own.

Remember, this too shall pass! Before you know it, he'll be climbing onto the counters and getting cookies all by himself. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:15 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
It's absolutely normal.

Try giving finger foods that he can feed himself, instead of having to spoon mushy food into his mouth. Much less mess, and he can work on fine motor skills.

Get a plastic tarp or shower curtain to put under the high chair. Once everything is wiped down, just shake out the tarp, and your floor is saved.

If you can, hire a mother's helper a few days a week to do stuff like laundry and light housekeeping. See if she can take care of the baby for an hour so you can get a nap or go for a walk on your own.

Remember, this too shall pass! Before you know it, he'll be climbing onto the counters and getting cookies all by himself. Very Happy

Thank you, FF. You made me smile Smile

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:17 pm
Let him feed himself neat food, and you feed him the saucy food

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:03 am
Yogurt/leben/fruit puree jets that he can squeeze himself
Cheerios
Gerber baby puffs
Veggie flutes
Corn pops
Snackers
Whole wheat bread sandwich with avocado, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, cream cheese.
Slice American cheese
Pasta, farfel, soft rice, canned corn, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes.
You can spoonfeed him chicken soup with mashed chicken & veggies. /
Baby cereal mixed with hot water & baby jar
Potato kugel/lukshen kugel
cheese blintzes/cheese latkes/pancakes

lk1234

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:08 am
It's very normal OP. I remember feeling like I have no idea how people do anything else but feed babies at that age because between preparing the food, the mess, the cleanup it was all very overwhelming and time consuming. It does get better but what I did was try to give foods that make less mess. I totally hear you though - it is a stage that passes, just keep that in mind.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:14 am
take off his clothes for mealtimes.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:57 am
I was never given such advice by a doctor.

My kids eat when hungry, whatever I eat. Most nutrition at this age is from nursing/formula, food is more recreational. If they want, they can have a piece of my sandwich/fruit/chicken. I don't cook separate food for baby. I'll cut it up into pieces if it's a choking hazard, but otherwise let them play with it.

I also very rarely spoon-feed. Let them play with a spoon and figure out how to use it themselves. They don't need pureed sweet potatoes, they can eat chunks of cooked vegetables. They don't need yogurt specifically, they can eat a piece of cheese.

What you're describing sounds overwhelming.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:10 am
Squeasy Snacker

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:52 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I was never given such advice by a doctor.

My kids eat when hungry, whatever I eat. Most nutrition at this age is from nursing/formula, food is more recreational. If they want, they can have a piece of my sandwich/fruit/chicken. I don't cook separate food for baby. I'll cut it up into pieces if it's a choking hazard, but otherwise let them play with it.

I also very rarely spoon-feed. Let them play with a spoon and figure out how to use it themselves. They don't need pureed sweet potatoes, they can eat chunks of cooked vegetables. They don't need yogurt specifically, they can eat a piece of cheese.

What you're describing sounds overwhelming.

I did the same thing with DD. Someone gave us a few jars of baby food, and DD wouldn't touch it. She wanted REAL food. (I ended up using the baby food in soups and muffins.)

The biggest mess she would make, is throwing food off of her tray - hence the shower curtain on the floor. I didn't even have to wash the shower curtain very often, because the dogs would clean it up before I could get to it. DD figured out that if she tossed the food in the air, the dogs could catch it before it even hit the ground.

I had to start locking the dogs out of the kitchen at meal times.

I always say that I'm going to name my next dog "Roomba". LOL

(I always wondered why families with a lot of little kids don't keep a small dog. The floors would stay a lot cleaner, with a lot less work! Not only that, but they can do bedikas chametz for you. If a dog wouldn't eat it, then it's not chametz.)

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:04 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
(I always wondered why families with a lot of little kids don't keep a small dog. The floors would stay a lot cleaner, with a lot less work! Not only that, but they can do bedikas chametz for you. If a dog wouldn't eat it, then it's not chametz.)

(Off-topic, but I actually thought about this. First of all, a dog is a big responsibility. Feeding, walking, doctor, training. It's hard enough to do this for my kids! Secondly, unless you really know what you are doing, and sadly sometimes even if you do, babies and dogs often don't mix. I definitely don't know what I'm doing, and can't see taking that risk. Thirdly, dogs are not a kosher animal and I'm not entirely comfortable with that. Plus the halachic considerations.

However, a dog would seem to be an amazing idea for security and yes, cleanup.)

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:06 am
My baby is the same age!

Breakfast- I do cheese, cheerios, puffs, and banana pieces (only the bananas are messy). I would do eggs but baby is allergic.

Lunch (which is really at 3 pm when I come home from work): puffs, light colored baby jar like applesauce, avocado. The avocado is messy so I take off her clothing and leave her in an undershirt. Then I wipe down her hands and thighs afterward.

Dinner: whatever we are having; chicken, meat, carrots, potatoes, peas, fish sticks or whatever. It's very messy but she's in an undershirt and I often bring her upstairs for a bath.

I use a lot of wipes and wet paper towels.

It is a messy stage. I feel you!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:12 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
(Off-topic, but I actually thought about this. First of all, a dog is a big responsibility. Feeding, walking, doctor, training. It's hard enough to do this for my kids! Secondly, unless you really know what you are doing, and sadly sometimes even if you do, babies and dogs often don't mix. I definitely don't know what I'm doing, and can't see taking that risk. Thirdly, dogs are not a kosher animal and I'm not entirely comfortable with that. Plus the halachic considerations.

However, a dog would seem to be an amazing idea for security and yes, cleanup.)

I've actually considered writing a sefer on the halachot of pet ownership (with rabbinical oversight, of course.) It is very complicated, but there are a lot of frum animal lovers out there. Even if you're FFB and Chassidish, there will come a time when one of your kids begs for a hamster or a goldfish. What do you feed them on Pesach? It's really interesting stuff, it you're into it.

Personally, I find having dogs infinitely easier and cheaper than having a kid. LOL I've never had a dog slam the door and yell "I hate you! You're ruining my life! You just don't understand!"

Don't get me wrong, kids are definitely more rewarding, but everything has it's pros and cons. Very Happy

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:17 am
At that age I always did 3 solid meals and the “snacks” are a bottle/nursing. But maybe your pedi gave that advice because your baby is underweight?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:38 am
this handheld vacuum was a game changer for me
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1
it's small enough to store in a cabinet too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry