Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Mid-winter for those being careful with COVID?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:34 am
Is there anything to do? Certainly won't be anything like we are used to and it seems in our circles there are many people who don't care because they either already got it or are just not that worried. Any suggestions what to do Norther NJ.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:20 am
If you are truly being careful, given that outdoors places will likely be out and even they will be crowded with people who are not careful, then no there is nothing to do while being careful. Not pleasant but the truth.

We haven’t gone anywhere interesting since last midwinter. We go to playgrounds when weather allows. A zoo twice when weather allowed (not during school breaks so not crowded).

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:23 am
We will be baking cookies, doing art projects, and cleaning closets.
I am just super resentful of people who are not following guidelines and planning to lie about it.
Everyone is free to do what they want, but dishonesty and putting others in at sakana is not OK.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:31 am
We're not going anywhere or doing anything except maybe outings to a local outdoor ice skating rink if the weather permits. I'm stocking up on crafts and baking supplies and we'll do our best to have fun at home. There's no point in taking risks now after being so careful all along. The end is almost in sight!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 11:57 am
Um I don't know how old your kids are. My kids are a little older and apparently many of them are flying places! They are not accepting that we might have to stay in and are bothering me about it all the time. Unfortunately almost nobody they know is being careful. What should I do?

fleetwood

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 12:21 pm
We are going skiing. Very safe. There are plenty of places to rent. Good luck.

keym

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 12:27 pm
I was going to suggest snow tubing or some other outdoor winter activities.
Alternatively, places like skyzone and urban air are very makpid on masks and limiting visitors so you may feel comfortable with that.

small bean

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 12:30 pm
fleetwood wrote:
We are going skiing. Very safe. There are plenty of places to rent. Good luck.

About 50 ppl die a year from skiing accidents. About the same chance of a kid dying from corona.

I'm posting this just to bother you. Have an awesome time skiing, so much fun!

fleetwood

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:02 pm
small bean wrote:
About 50 ppl die a year from skiing accidents. About the same chance of a kid dying from corona.

I'm posting this just to bother you. Have an awesome time skiing, so much fun!

Why would you even post such a thing??

miracleshappen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:07 pm
We are having the same issue. Can’t think of any Covid friendly activities and really feel bad for my kids. I think that all schools should cancel midwinter vacation, or at least shorten it to the point that families won’t go away. I’ll be super annoyed if my child’s class gets exposed as a result of families who traveled

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:15 pm
miracleshappen wrote:
We are having the same issue. Can’t think of any Covid friendly activities and really feel bad for my kids. I think that all schools should cancel midwinter vacation, or at least shorten it to the point that families won’t go away. I’ll be super annoyed if my child’s class gets exposed as a result of families who traveled

A school I work in shortened winter break from 10 days to 5 days.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 4:10 am
Bump.
My kids literally will not let me hear the end of this for the next month through vacation if I don't come up with something.
I have to be very careful with corona restrictions.
Snowtubing will surely involve indoor heated waiting areas, public bathrooms, etc. Getting close to people waiting on line when it will be very crowded. Not for us.
Skiing is out of my league, not our thing. I have no help from DH and am going through some significant difficulties now which makes it even more challenging.
Those who say they are baking and doing crafts not sure how old your kids are but my kids will terrorize me if I tell them that's what we are doing.
When you are older you have to have something to match your peers and it is putting tremendous stress on me.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 5:39 am
We all had covid and thankfully tested positive for antibodies so we are not being so careful anymore yet we still don’t know what to do . Many places have restrictions which makes it not so fun to spend time and money on.
The only thing I could think of is to rent an Airbnb home someplace far that has an indoor pool and game room but so far I haven’t been able to find a home with an indoor pool that’s available.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 5:44 am
Op given your parameters then why not find a place to rent in driving distance with something like private indoor pool or some kind of special indoor and/or outdoor activities?
even a place with hills for sledding if you have snow and bring sleds
somewhere pretty
sometimes a change of scenery changes everything

or if you are really ambitious and finances permit rent an RV and drive somewhere

challenging

hatzlocha and hugs

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 6:02 am
There are plenty of homes that have game rooms with air hockey, pool etc PLUS a hot tub. Go for 2 nights. Let them feel like they did something.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bump.
My kids literally will not let me hear the end of this for the next month through vacation if I don't come up with something.
I have to be very careful with corona restrictions.
Snowtubing will surely involve indoor heated waiting areas, public bathrooms, etc. Getting close to people waiting on line when it will be very crowded. Not for us.
Skiing is out of my league, not our thing. I have no help from DH and am going through some significant difficulties now which makes it even more challenging.
Those who say they are baking and doing crafts not sure how old your kids are but my kids will terrorize me if I tell them that's what we are doing.
When you are older you have to have something to match your peers and it is putting tremendous stress on me.

Wait, what?
We're not in a financial bracket to EVER go away for winter break. And yes, many/most of my children's peers do. My oldest is 18 and my youngest 11 so I know all about teens and peer pressure. It is just understood that this is not something WE do. I think your issue started before this year. You sound like you're afraid of your children. Is that accurate?
On a "normal" year we do things like the library, mall (best time of year to find long sleeve tees on sale!), pottery painting for a real treat, sometimes bowling. We may be doing some of those activities or not depending on my work schedule but it's not expected orba given. I do allow much more screen time during break and the kids sleep in and do cooking projects (that they hopefully clean up from lol)
You need to lower expectations!

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:27 am
we just had our winter vacation and stayed home. Most people I know stayed home too. Nothing is open so we went on walks and to parks and decluttered our house.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:48 am
We are currently considering driving to a place near Wildwood or something and getting an Airbnb. It will be cold but we can walk on the beach in warm coat and play games/watch TV in the living room. We will bring our milk and EVERYTHING as we will not go to a store. It is close enough to not need a restroom on the drive.
The advantage is that it is a change of scenery and I personally am better at “family time” even if they is watching a movie with the kids, if I don’t have all my chores (laundry, closets, mail pile, kitchen.... ) staring at me.
But I am in exactly the same position as you.
Btw, the the person who said it is now 5 days, I am so jealous. The elementary shorted break and the HS extended it!!!

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:40 am
Bh my kids only have a 2 day mid winter break. I don't understand a 10 day break, especially for little kids. What's the point? They just had chanukah vacation, I think a long winter break is unnecessary.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 9:46 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Bh my kids only have a 2 day mid winter break. I don't understand a 10 day break, especially for little kids. What's the point? They just had chanukah vacation, I think a long winter break is unnecessary.

My kids have the same 2 days/ extended weekend fri-mon but when they get to the older grades you will hear about all the kids who are going to hotels, Florida etc. they often start the vacation a day earlier or extend it for a day and the peer pressure begins... they become unsatisfied with baking and going to the library!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics