Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
NY- do you have a summer home?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:51 am
Do you love it? Hate it?
Pros? Cons?

Do you stay there all summer? Any other times during the year?

Any details I should know?

I’m very much deciding if I should purchase one or not. I’d appreciate any input.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you love it? Hate it?
Pros? Cons?

Do you stay there all summer? Any other times during the year?

Any details I should know?

I’m very much deciding if I should purchase one or not. I’d appreciate any input.

Love love love mine!!!
Mostly because I’m so picky with friends but I lucked out with some people I really feel myself with. I also love nature and love that I can see it in all seasons.
We are there almost always when the kids are off for extended times.
Summer, succos, shabbos Chanukah, shevuos... and any other random shabbos we decide on. Usually once a month.
Most people don’t do this but I leave all past season clothes there so there is no clothing to take for a regular shabbos. Only food.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:57 am
No BH I haven a full time job that needs me to do that job in all 4 seasons.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:02 am
I just gave a deposit for one...

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:04 am
We're also looking into it and I'm so nervous about how the crowd will come out to be that I can't bring myself to give a down payment.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:04 am
I’ll add that during COVID it saved us. It’s the reason my kids have such amazing memories of that time. We were there for two months straight.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:05 am
My husband wants to buy a house upstate.....I want to take a road trip and leave NY....

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:12 am
Hopefully buying one in the near future...

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:15 am
I dont have but my I have Access to a free house in florida whenever I want. During covid I was in florida for a month. I dont go so often but can go whenever I am in the mood.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:16 am
If I lived in an apartment or a house with little green space and I could afford it 1000% I would. I cant relate to the people in my neighborhood who build these mansions with a postage stamp for a back yard. I think its sooooo healthy for kids and adults to have time outside in nature.

My grandparents have a summer home an hour and a half from where they live and most families go for the weekend some stay all week. If it were not for shabbos I would spend a lot more time there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:41 am
Thanks for these replies they are definitely encouraging me to go ahead.

Is there a crowd where you all are? I’m worried about that. I have a friend and another acquaintance who wants to join me but otherwise, how do we know the people?

Or are those separate house that you see all over the roads better? Is that too lonely?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for these replies they are definitely encouraging me to go ahead.

Is there a crowd where you all are? I’m worried about that. I have a friend and another acquaintance who wants to join me but otherwise, how do we know the people?

Or are those separate house that you see all over the roads better? Is that too lonely?

It’s a hit or miss I think. You can ask around for info. We went with a group of dhs friends but I had zero expectations. We had people sell because they didn’t fit in. I don’t think I’d mind a house on the road being an introvert. But the crowd is a huge plus.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:58 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
It’s a hit or miss I think. You can ask around for info. We went with a group of dhs friends but I had zero expectations. We had people sell because they didn’t fit in. I don’t think I’d mind a house on the road being an introvert. But the crowd is a huge plus.

I'd only buy in a colony. I want the pool, daycamp, playground, company for kids, eiruv, shul on premises. A house alone can be very boring.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:19 pm
If you bought a summer home in the past two years, do you care sharing approximately how much you paid (and how many bedrooms / what the lot size is). Considering buying, so this will be very helpful information. Thanks!

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 9:44 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
If you bought a summer home in the past two years, do you care sharing approximately how much you paid (and how many bedrooms / what the lot size is). Considering buying, so this will be very helpful information. Thanks!

Bump. And where you bought

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:26 am
Delte

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:49 am
I bought in March of 2020. We're deep in PA (about 2.45hrs from Brooklyn and 1.30 from Monsey). We LOVE our vacation house so much! We checked out tons of different communities in PA and a couple years back, settled on our wish list but the community was just too much for us to spend. We finally decided in January of 2020 to just do it and bh, after three weeks of searching, found the perfect vacation home. It's adorable. We hang off a deep ledge into the woods and have multiple back porches with string lights hung all over. My neighbors are trees, trees and more trees. It's 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, one living room / dining room combo, some great closet space and a walkout basement to the bottom porch. We hung swings and put an outdoor water feature on the porch so we hear nothing but birds and running water during lazy shabbos afternoons. Our community is not a Jewish one. We deliberately didn't buy where other Jews have homes, just because a colony is not relaxing to us. We have friends over to spend weekends and we escape to our vacay home every chance we get. Cost wise, between HOA fees, property tax, utilities and insurance, we pay about $500 a month. BH, we don't have a mortgage and our purchase price was 149k plus some light renos (redid the porches, put in a kosher sink and new counters/backsplash, added ductless air.) Best. Purchase. Ever. I'd do this again in a heartbeat. And FYI, we have pools here, lakes, beaches, skiing / snowtubing in the winter. A rec center, gym, golf courses, etc. All with 24 hour security and tons of Jews do rent here through Airbnb. So if we wanted to see other Jews and interact, we could. We're just selectively isolationist...

Einikel

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:54 am
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
I bought in March of 2020. We're deep in PA (about 2.45hrs from Brooklyn and 1.30 from Monsey). We LOVE our vacation house so much! We checked out tons of different communities in PA and a couple years back, settled on our wish list but the community was just too much for us to spend. We finally decided in January of 2020 to just do it and bh, after three weeks of searching, found the perfect vacation home. It's adorable. We hang off a deep ledge into the woods and have multiple back porches with string lights hung all over. My neighbors are trees, trees and more trees. It's 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, one living room / dining room combo, some great closet space and a walkout basement to the bottom porch. We hung swings and put an outdoor water feature on the porch so we hear nothing but birds and running water during lazy shabbos afternoons. Our community is not a Jewish one. We deliberately didn't buy where other Jews have homes, just because a colony is not relaxing to us. We have friends over to spend weekends and we escape to our vacay home every chance we get. Cost wise, between HOA fees, property tax, utilities and insurance, we pay about $500 a month. BH, we don't have a mortgage and our purchase price was 149k plus some light renos (redid the porches, put in a kosher sink and new counters/backsplash, added ductless air.) Best. Purchase. Ever. I'd do this again in a heartbeat. And FYI, we have pools here, lakes, beaches, skiing / snowtubing in the winter. A rec center, gym, golf courses, etc. All with 24 hour security and tons of Jews do rent here through Airbnb. So if we wanted to see other Jews and interact, we could. We're just selectively isolationist...

Wow sounds like the dream!!

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:55 am

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do about a minyan?

Zehava

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:56 am

You must both be introverts! It’s my dream but my family would never go for it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics