Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Are shelf-stable meals healthy?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:03 pm
I bought the beef rib steak. Is it healthy to serve it to dd sometimes when I’m short on time. I tried the beef rib steak by meal mart and it’s pretty good. She is my youngest 16 yo.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:12 pm
Healthy as far as what? As healthy as a meal homemade from scratch by a health-conscious cook? Of course not; they're commercially processed food, and as such will feature the usual cast of characters including lots of sodium, fat and sugar. OTOH they are nutritious, fairly tasty, and very convenient for travel, dorms and similar situations. The occasional meal mart microwavable meal won't kill your dd, and her age has nothing to do with anything. You will not be arrested by CPS for feeding your dd the occasional processed meal. It's a lot better than feeding her froot loops, licorice and ice cream.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 3:00 pm
zaq wrote:
Healthy as far as what? As healthy as a meal homemade from scratch by a health-conscious cook? Of course not; they're commercially processed food, and as such will feature the usual cast of characters including lots of sodium, fat and sugar. OTOH they are nutritious, fairly tasty, and very convenient for travel, dorms and similar situations. The occasional meal mart microwavable meal won't kill your dd, and her age has nothing to do with anything. You will not be arrested by CPS for feeding your dd the occasional processed meal. It's a lot better than feeding her froot loops, licorice and ice cream.

Thanks zaq you are always so helpful and knowledgeable. The rib steak dinner has 40 percent sodium and 38% fat 6 grams add sugar and 41 gram protein. If I’m stuck with no dinner is taking only the steak is healthy? Is the meat healthy? There is another dinner beef pepper steak with rice 27 grams protein no sugar added and 13% fat 28% cholesterol and 26% sodium. I’m just wondering if Dd is on the skinny side and very picky is it overall a good dinner and if not just taking the protein out of it, is it considered healthy? She is very picky and I’m so busy.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 4:32 pm
It's like serving frozen heat & serve chicken nuggets once in a while. All about moderation. Once a week/once in two weeks is fine. Kids that are picky can sometimes end up eating more processed foods. It's ok. Try to round it out with healthier options too.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 4:26 am
If she's 16, can't she prepare her own dinner ocassionally if you're stuck somewhere?
my 10 year old makes salad, scrambled eggs, pancakes

Makehumusnotwar

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 4:56 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
If she's 16, can't she prepare her own dinner ocassionally if you're stuck somewhere?
my 10 year old makes salad, scrambled eggs, pancakes

This!

It's time for her to start preparing her own simple meals.

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:00 am
They're probably loaded with salt and preservatives.
Obviously, they do not contain any fresh vegetables or fruits.

Unless you are someplace with no access to kosher food/cooking facilities, it's probably easier to make something simple and fresh. Pasta primavera, scrambled eggs, fresh salad, etc.

voiceofreason

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:23 am
Health= Physical + Mental

Probably not the most nutritious, but if you're only serving it occasionally and it gives you peace of mind, seving that meal can still be a healthy choice.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:39 am
Thanks zaq you are always so helpful and knowledgeable. The rib steak dinner has 40 percent sodium and 38% fat 6 grams add sugar and 41 gram protein. If I’m stuck with no dinner is taking only the steak is healthy? Is the meat healthy? There is another dinner beef pepper steak with rice 27 grams protein no sugar added and 13% fat 28% cholesterol and 26% sodium. I’m just wondering if Dd is on the skinny side and very picky is it overall a good dinner and if not just taking the protein out of it, is it considered healthy? She is very picky and I’m so busy.

If you're serving this only once in a while, it really makes no difference. If two or more varieties are equally well-liked, compare nutrition labels go with whichever looks healthier. But if a meal is not liked and won't get eaten, it doesn't matter how healthy it is. Just looking at these numbers, the pepper steak looks healthier because it has less fat, sodium and sugar. But for a skinny teenager who isn't living on these meals every day, it doesn't make a big difference. Both are overall good dinners but you should supplement with fruit and vegetables. Even if you don't, if dd is getting plenty of fruit and veggies in other meals, again it doesn't really matter.

Don't obsess about one meal; look at a pattern of eating overall. If most of your dd meals are healthy, even the occasional meal of froot loops and soda won't kill her. Just make sure that most of her other meals and snacks are on the healthier side.

In general, red meat is considered less healthy than fish and poultry, but that doesn't mean that you can't ever eat red meat. It's an excellent source of protein, iron and other nutrients.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:45 am
I hear that you're super busy. Is there a time when you and DD can get together and plan out a bunch of meals that can be individually frozen, and then microwaved as needed?

You can make large batches of things together, and get those disposable pans with the dividers in them. Then just label them and stack them in the freezer. It's a great bonding experience, too - especially if you don't see each other very often.

Then keep things like fresh fruit and salad fixings in the fridge, and you're good to go!

(Cooking in bulk is WAY more affordable then buying pre-prepared meals, as well as being healthier.)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 11:02 am
No. They are not healthy.
Can buy deli without nitrates and that would be way better option
Deli in a wrap with lettuc and mustard.
Or cheese wrap with same
Or lox
Or like above she should start preparing her own food if you cannot

Jenmom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 6:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I bought the beef rib steak. Is it healthy to serve it to dd sometimes when I’m short on time. I tried the beef rib steak by meal mart and it’s pretty good. She is my youngest 16 yo.

Yes. Make sure they aren't too high calorie and it should be fine. I don't understand why so many people think they are literal poison.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 6:10 pm
Jenmom wrote:
Yes. Make sure they aren't too high calorie and it should be fine. I don't understand why so many people think they are literal poison.

Calories have 000 to do with healthy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise