Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
We're BTs... Both grandparents don't do any Jewish songs
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 1:56 pm
My super yeshivishe BT MIL, sings ''round a round corner like a teddy bear...'' and ''this little piggy went to the market this little piggy went to the market'' to her grandchildren and it's cute.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:00 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Respectfully, are you the Ima who inquired about kol isha for a infant a few weeks back?

If so, it’s great that you’re asking these questions but you really would benefit from real life people to talk things through with.

Yep, as I mentioned above, corona is making it really hard to discuss this with real life people. I absorb so much just making the rounds and chatting with everyone at kiddush and going to someone's house for a shabbat meal. I like hearing everyone's approaches to something, and observing them in action... now that's all out the window!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:07 pm
Please don’t alienate the grandparents for singing basic nursery rhymes and songs. Grandparents are such an incredible blessing never mind needing to respect them. Please don’t risk the relationship over this.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:09 pm
Nothing wrong with it.
I love Wheels on the bus and Old McDonald.

I agree with an earlier poster.
Get ahold of Uncle Moishy, especially the earlier ones to give yourself a "Jewish kids music repertoire".

Also if the grandparents aren't averse, teach them or gift them Uncle Moishy to add to their songs.
Rotate Twinkle Twinkle, I have a Mezuza, You are my Sunshine, Little Torah.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:11 pm
It's fine to sing whatever songs you like, as long as they aren't against the torah.
Of course, if you sing songs from davening and torah and such it's even better. But you don't always have to be better....

mochamix18

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback.

We've been doing some of the English nursery rhymes, but also Jewish stuff we're doing is mostly Modeh Ani, Adon Olam, 1st paragraph of the Shema, 1st paragraph of the benching... What are good songs to do with an infant? We don't know. This is all new to us.

With corona and not socializing with people as normal, it's hard to pick up on this stuff organically. In normal times, I'd just chit chat with people at a shabbat lunch and these kinds of things would come up... or I'd observe how other people are interacting with their kids.

With my babies I always loved singing NCSY kumzitz type songs. So for example Hamalach Hogoel, Shivchi Kamayim Libech, Achenu Kol Bais Yisrael, Rachem (Devekus), vezakeini Legadel (Baruch Levine)....so many others. But I also sing nursery rhymes 🤷‍♀️
ETA: I think you got a lot of good advice here OP. It is really nice that your baby has such loving grandparents. You know what else is very cute? https://jewishmusic.fm/album/m.....dur/. Very nice tefilah songs for babies and preschoolers. All my song suggestions are more for you and your husband, but really whatever singing, reading and speaking you are doing with your baby is so good for his brain development and just having such good parents who striving to keep Torah in the best way possible us good for his little neshomah.

Last edited by mochamix18 on Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:30 pm
When my youngest was born. I hired a live in nurse to take care of my infant. She also helped me put my toddler for a nap. My son was disappointed because I used to sing shma songs to him at naptime. (Not necessary he just insisted I sing it to him then too. So I recorded myself singing and put it on at naptime. It played over and over again. Suddenly the nurse started humming along. She also started singing uncle moishy clean up song we put on at cleanup time. I couldn't stop laughing when she came back after a weekend off and told me she sang the clean up song to her grandkids because the song stuck.

naomi2

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 2:45 pm
Ok to be blunt. You can relax about the songs. Anything besides Xmas, religious, or crude/ explicit songs are totally fine. This is for all sects besides chasidish or lubavitch. I don't know if they have sensitivity to that.
But don't stop asking questions. Especially here where it is anonymous and you have a wide variety of observance. you will get the hang of things soon enough.

Java

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 3:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yep, as I mentioned above, corona is making it really hard to discuss this with real life people. I absorb so much just making the rounds and chatting with everyone at kiddush and going to someone's house for a shabbat meal. I like hearing everyone's approaches to something, and observing them in action... now that's all out the window!

both such good questions and I totally agree with you that under normal circumstances you would pick these things up organically Smile
Question for you: do you have an IRL mashpia that you can approach with these questions? obviously asking here is good but it's also so important to have someone who knows you that can talk to you about things like this

funkyfrummom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 4:09 pm
Seconding (thirding?) early Uncle Moishe.

The Modeh Ani song on Torah Island is GREAT, OP, it is kinda a combo of Modeh Ani + Old McDonald because of all the sounds you can make. (My computer won't let me cut and paste right now, but if you have YouTube access, you can put in Torah Island Modeh Ani.) My kids loved the Torah Island tape! There is also a book, at least there used to be, that is same content with all the animals etc. saying modeh ani.

Also, recommending Surie Levilev (Morah Music) as a good one to look into for songs.

Oyfn Pripetchek is pretty classic, no? I am not a yiddish speaker. I always wondered if the native yiddish speakers thought it funny when BTs use that one for a lullaby.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 5:09 pm
Ffb here, we know all nursery ryhmes excellently. You sing the jewish songs. Let them enjoy the grandchildren.

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 5:22 pm
FFB here. My baby’s favorite songs include the eensy weensy spider, muffin man, Sandra Boynton songs, Sharon Lois and Bram songs, and the hokey pokey.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 5:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you have a good relationship with your parents? You seem very anxious about them being a bad influence on your infant...

Bleemee

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 5:38 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
FFB here. My baby’s favorite songs include the eensy weensy spider, muffin man, Sandra Boynton songs, Sharon Lois and Bram songs, and the hokey pokey.
Sandra Boynton books are songs?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 5:43 pm
Didnt Rav Yisrael Belsky say that he turned out the way he did because his mother used to hold him and sing You Are My Sunshine?

avrahamama

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 5:44 pm
[quote="amother [ Tan ]"]Didnt Rav Yisrael Belsky say that he turned out the way he did because his mother used to hold him and sing You Are My Sunshine?[/quote

If he did that is so sweet.

OBnursemom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 5:47 pm
Bleemee wrote:
Sandra Boynton books are songs?

She has 4 song albums- some books are included in the songs. I downloaded them on Apple Music.

Philadelphia Chickens
Rhinoceros Tap
Blue Moo
Frog Trouble

Bleemee

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 5:48 pm
Oh, got it.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 5:55 pm
Yes, OP, the songs you listed are actually commonly sung by FFB parents like my own parents and like me and my husband Smile. We are what you would consider yeshivish/chareidi.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:08 pm
I'm an FFB and I definitely sing those kinds of songs with my kids, and they learn some of them in playgroup too. But we also have many Uncle Moishy/613 Torah Ave CDs playing too, like the others have mentioned.

You may find these useful, here are links to some Uncle Moishy/Suki & Ding ones that are just songs. We used to have these playing a lot, now sometimes my kids like them when they are going to sleep. They also like the Torah Island ones that were mentioned too...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....e9156

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....f4fb0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ffec9

(I don't think we have this one but I see it here on Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....d55bb
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics