Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Update on my son
1  2  3  Next

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:21 pm
Today I took him to the pediatrician (there was a different one, BH...) since he was still having yellow runny diarrhea but hasn’t been throwing up at all since the last time he threw up which was days ago.

And his stomach looked very scary! It was sticking out. Distended.

Anyway, I explained to the doctor what has been going on with my son and he checked my sons throat and checked his stomach and diaper area.

He told me my son is too little to be on antibiotics for strep and that’s what’s causing him to have diarrhea and have a bloated stomach.

He told me I should stop antibiotics today and hopefully iyH my son will improve in a week.

And he said my son does not have strep.

Last edited by PeanutMama on Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:22 pm
Was going to say the upset stomach is probably from antibiotics. Give him some pro biotics.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:33 pm
Is this a practice or an urgent care?

Poor kid.

It sounds like you might be better off with one doctor you can develop a real relationship with. Who knows you and has a feel for your child.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:58 pm
Does your son still have fever? With the history of vomitting, distended belly, etc. I think they should rule out appendix. Did the doctor look into it?

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:25 pm
It’s low. Like 98.9-99.8 with an ear thermometer.
High fever would be above 102, no?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:32 pm
Glad the dr gave you some good directions. Refuah shlaima

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:33 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
It’s low. Like 98.9-99.8 with an ear thermometer.
High fever would be above 102, no?

That's not fever. Did the dr press his belly at all?

snowflake1

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:21 pm
If your son took antibiotics for 24 to 48 hours the strep test will come out negative at this point probably.
If I were you I would go to adoctor that I really trusted and keep going to the same one. It’s so frustrating when you don’t know if you can trust the advice of the doctor

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:22 pm
I don't understand. I thought he had diarrhea before he started antibiotics?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:25 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Does your son still have fever? With the history of vomitting, distended belly, etc. I think they should rule out appendix. Did the doctor look into it?

Agree. I'm concerned about the level of care these pediatricians are providing.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:53 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
That's not fever. Did the dr press his belly at all?

Yes he did. He said it’s bloated

My son cries when the doctor is checking him out but it was not a pain type of cry.
His pain cry is high and ear splitting and his scared cry is just....terrified sounding.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:57 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I don't understand. I thought he had diarrhea before he started antibiotics?

Yeah he did but dunno why. I keep thinking stomach virus so I’m pretty much giving him chopped fruit (bananas, apples) plain pasta, toast, rice cakes..

I’m thinking getting a second opinion but idk where to go. I didn’t grow up in bp.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:00 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Yeah he did but dunno why. I keep thinking stomach virus so I’m pretty much giving him chopped fruit (bananas, apples) plain pasta, toast, rice cakes..

I’m thinking getting a second opinion but idk where to go. I didn’t grow up in bp.

If he had diarrhea before the antibiotics then the diarrhea is not caused by the antibiotics. It's very strange that the pediatrician doesn't recognize that. Your child was sick before he started the antibiotics and he's still sick. Someone needs to figure out what's going on.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:00 pm
I’m also confused because one doctor said strep Sunday night and this doctor said no strep this afternoon

Maybe it’s gone? But he did say my son is too little to be on antibiotics and I should stop right away. So we didn’t give the night dose
I’m worried why is he having diarrhea?? We’ve been giving him plain stuff since like Thursday night Friday morning! For sure his poop should’ve improved or at least look more solid

He said to give it a week and if it’s not better, bring him in again.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:02 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
I’m also confused because one doctor said strep Sunday night and this doctor said no strep this afternoon

Maybe it’s gone? But he did say my son is too little to be on antibiotics and I should stop right away. So we didn’t give the night dose
I’m worried why is he having diarrhea?? We’ve been giving him plain stuff since like Thursday night Friday morning! For sure his poop should’ve improved or at least look more solid

A week? No. That's not acceptable. I'm sorry, this practice sounds terrible.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:08 pm
That’s what I’m thinking I don’t know where to go I don’t know who to turn to two of my friends (I don’t have many friends in bp. Maybe like 3 in total but I’m not extremely close to them) told me this doctor is good with children and they recommend this practice to me when my son was born!

I never had a bad experience there BH but there is one thing that makes me uncomfortable a quick look but thorough look over by one doctor and he kinda talks over me lol but the last few times he’s been more attentive and I relaxed some
We go only for shots and for check ups (they’re often the same day) and if my son is sick too long I bring him in.
They’re good but they’re fast people and I don’t do well with fast. It’s barely a 5 min visit at most
I remember as a child going to the doctor the visit would be 10-15min!

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:09 pm
Start a new post with your insurance and ask for a doctor recommendation in BP

avrahamama

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:10 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

It's almost a week. His first vomit was on a Friday afternoon no?

A stomach virus would have run its course by now.

Strep isn't common for under age 2 ... But it's possible.

I wish I could help you find a doctor you can build a kesher with. I'm not I'm BK.

Does anyone have any good doctor recs for you?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:11 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Where are you located? Maybe someone here can recommend a good pediatrician?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:15 pm
Not ok.
Did they do stool testing or respiratory viral plan to rule out other gastro causes?

I would check with another doc if at this point- few days into antibiotics- you should stay the course for a minimum of 7 days*.

Refuah sheleima

*eta you don’t want to cause antibiotics resistance by stopping mid course. AFAIK, Antibiotics are not routinely given to treat strep in children under 2 because they don’t have the risk of rheumatic fever. But if he did start and is still sick then it’s more complicated. Definitely give florastor 2+- hours of antibiotics to build up good bacteria and help for tummy issues.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics