Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
New years gift for cleaning lady
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:08 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
That’s an insult.

Why is that an insult? My cleaning lady is very happy with a few $

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:12 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I have a cleaning lady 6 hrs per week. I gave 2 hrs extra with a card.

I also have 6 hours a week and gave her two extra hours but I just gave it as cash. She was very very appreciative.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:17 pm
I think if they work for you 6 or less hours a week, then it's considered that you just have minimal help, and a minimal gift, like $20-$30, or a gift in that price range is normal.

If you have 10+ hours, something in the $50 range is fine; or a $50 visa.

If you're paying every week $600 or more, then I'd do a $100 holiday tip.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:22 pm
I pay mine $450 a week, last week I paid her the full week (even though she was out half of Thursday and all of Friday) plus $250 and some nice chocolate. This week she’s off tomorrow, I paid her the full $450 today.
Still waiting to hear a thank you but won’t hold my breathe!

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:39 pm
Do you give your cleaning lady a vacation or sick pay?

The reason why many people give the equivalent of a weeks pay for holiday and/or for birthday is because it is somewhat like giving vacation pay.

Obviously this is going to depend on your relationship with your cleaning lady but if you have someone who is a long term cleaning lady or other household employee, that seems to be typical - at least among the people I know.

Of course there could be a correlation between how we treat our cleaning ladies who are all long term and their willingness to not seek other employment and to be completely reliable in terms of showing up. As my a boss used to say to me - pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Here is the thank you I got from my cleaning lady when I paid her even though I wasn't using her services during the pandemic so I feel I have a special relationship with her and she goes out of her way to be helpful to me.

My mom wanted me to reach out to express how she feels in regards to the check you gave her.

She’s currently still in shock and is left speechless. She sincerely appreciates your kindness and generosity. She wanted me to thank you from the bottom of all of our hearts. She wanted me to tell you that she views you as angel that helped our family during this hardship.

Thank you so much miss *amarante*

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 11:53 pm
I wonder if it's the same ppl that were complaining about giving chanuka gift to morah last week that are now saying that a week's wages are a must for a cleaning lady's end of the year gift!

asmileaday

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 11:58 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I wonder if it's the same ppl that were complaining about giving chanuka gift to morah last week that are now saying that a week's wages are a must for a cleaning lady's end of the year gift!

Probably not.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 12:01 am
My cleaning lady has only been with me a few months and recently asked for a raise which I gave (out of desperation).
I appreciate her reliability but her cleaning skills leave a lot to be desired.
I gave her a $25 bonus. I think that's generous. She was extremely happy.
She comes to me twice a week 6 hours each time.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:33 am
That’s an insult.

I don’t agree. I randomly give my cleaning lady an extra $20 when either she does a really nice job or we have the extra money and she always seems to appreciate it.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:39 am
I gave mine a salad bowl, dip bowls and some towels.

mizle10

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 9:33 am
I am genuinely asking- I don’t work any DH is self employed so I’ve never been in that situation. Is it typical of employees to get a weeks worth of pay as a holiday bonus?
My cleaning lady gets all legal holiday off with pay plus 2 weeks of paid vacations days.
From asking around, where I live $100-$150 seems standard as a holiday bonus.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 9:44 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I have literally never heard of giving a whole weeks pay to cleaning lady. I never got a whole weeks pay as a holiday bonus...

So if my lady no-shows me 2/3 of the time should I give her 2/3 of a weeks pay? 😂

Why do you keep her around if she doesn’t show up 2/3 lf the time?

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 9:46 am
Yes. People who can afford full time help should be able to swing that once a year.

Absolutely this

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 9:54 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I gave mine a salad bowl, dip bowls and some towels.

That’s so random. I’m sure she wanted cash.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 9:55 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

And I wonder if it’s the same ppl who complain about how unreliable their cleaning lady is who can’t swing a holiday bonus or just an extremely cheap one.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 9:57 am

My cleaning lady has wound up with this kind of random stuff when I am decluttering and she is appreciative but money is the only appropriate gift for those who provide services to you.

Genius

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 10:06 am
And I wonder if it’s the same ppl who complain about how unreliable their cleaning lady is who can’t swing a holiday bonus or just an extremely cheap one.

If my cleaning lady would be unreliable I’d be tempted to give a cheap gift. Basic. I would give an employee who fails to show up a pink slip, not a gift.
I don’t think people “have” to give based on a certain standard. You give how much you can or want to. I give because I want her to be happy with me and I want her to choose to keep me as her employer. Full disclosure

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 10:06 am
mizle10 wrote:
I am genuinely asking- I don’t work any DH is self employed so I’ve never been in that situation. Is it typical of employees to get a weeks worth of pay as a holiday bonus?
My cleaning lady gets all legal holiday off with pay plus 2 weeks of paid vacations days.
From asking around, where I live $100-$150 seems standard as a holiday bonus.

Your household employees are in a completely different category since you are providing vacation pay plus paid vacation plus paying the employee share of FICA. Under those circumstances, $150 is not inappropriate.

What is being discussed is the more typical situation in which the cleaning person comes once or perhaps twice a week and doesn't have a fixed salary or benefits like vacation or sick pay. In my experience, among people I know, the standard is the equivalent of a week's pay to make up for the lack of benefits.

Genius

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 10:09 am
Amarante wrote:
Your household employees are in a completely different category since you are providing vacation pay plus paid vacation plus paying the employee share of FICA. Under those circumstances, $150 is not inappropriate.

What is being discussed is the more typical situation in which the cleaning person comes once or perhaps twice a week and doesn't have a fixed salary or benefits like vacation or sick pay. In my experience, among people I know, the standard is the equivalent of a week's pay to make up for the lack of benefits.

What FICA? Most cleaning ladies I know work for cash and send a big portion of it back to their country of origin.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 10:09 am

As if she sits around with her family eating challah and dill dip.

Even the $35 equivalent is better than this
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics