Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
New years gift for cleaning lady
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:20 pm
Amarante wrote:
Many people continued to pay their household help during the pandemic when they didn’t want to have people in their house. I paid my cleaning lady for several months. I had budgeted for her services and it was my choice not to use her.

Under these circumstances, I would have paid the nanny for the weeks she wasn’t coming because of the quarantine.

I also paid my father’s caretaker when my father died the equivalent of several month’s wages as a gift to him for his dedicated and loving services as well as a form of severance pay.

If you are firing a worker for cause, that is different.

I believe you behaved in an exemplary manner! I think that the vast majority of people did not pay their workers during covid simply because most ppl couldn't afford it!
I'm sure the right thing to do is to pay if you have the money but most ppl struggle to pay their cleaning help and it's usually the first thing to be cancelled when income is reduced!

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:52 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I believe you behaved in an exemplary manner! I think that the vast majority of people did not pay their workers during covid simply because most ppl couldn't afford it!
I'm sure the right thing to do is to pay if you have the money but most ppl struggle to pay their cleaning help and it's usually the first thing to be cancelled when income is reduced!

I am not seeking praise for my actions. I couldn't imagine doing anything else in the circumstances.

If I had the money to pay her if she came, the fact that she couldn't come because I didn't want someone in my home during the pandemic wasn't an excuse to not pay her. That would have been using it as an excuse. The amount I paid her was much more of an economic necessity to her than to me - but again I view cleaning help as a luxury and didn't have cleaning ladies when I had lean economic times. Whether she came or didn't come I was spending the same amount of money.

If I had lost income and could no longer have afforded to use a cleaning lady, that would have been different circumstances.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:54 pm
Amarante wrote:
I would imagine people who didn’t pay their nannies didn’t pay their cleaning help or other household worker.

I paid my cleaning lady and would have paid a nanny as well. The

You are always a role model
I really respect you
And my dd did not want to be paid. She understood that they had lost their income.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:59 pm
Amarante wrote:
Many people continued to pay their household help during the pandemic when they didn’t want to have people in their house. I paid my cleaning lady for several months. I had budgeted for her services and it was my choice not to use her.

Under these circumstances, I would have paid the nanny for the weeks she wasn’t coming because of the quarantine.

I also paid my father’s caretaker when my father died the equivalent of several month’s wages as a gift to him for his dedicated and loving services as well as a form of severance pay.

If you are firing a worker for cause, that is different.

I have a nanny because I need childcare while I'm working. I could not afford a nanny if I didn't work. When I wasn't working due to covid I no longer had the funds to pay my previous nanny. I don't think it's wise for someone who lost their job to draw from savings to pay someone who no longer works for them. It's a lovely gesture for someone who can afford it, but by all means not standard.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics