Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Office job Bp, how much $$$$
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 7:51 pm
How much is the going rate for a standard Bp office/secretary job.
5 years experience.
I don’t have friends living in Brooklyn and I cannot ask my coworkers, I want to go in for a raise and I really have no idea how much I can ask for.

(If you don’t know what’s normal but you can share how much you make, that would be really appreciated too)

TIA

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 7:52 pm
I think $22. $23.

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 8:02 pm
You may be better off calculating what 2 or 3 percent raise on your current salary is, and asking for that. Asking for a dramatic raise because you heard "other people get paid that much" doesn't usually go over well.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 8:15 pm
What do u do?medicaid stuff or random doctors office? I work in medicaid type office common to get raised to 25 within first 2 years along with more responsibilities

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 8:57 pm
I don’t work in a medical office, just random secretary work.

My boss usually tries to negotiate (for 2 weeks) with whatever raise I ask for. Last year he said yes immediately which really made me think I could’ve asked for me. I can easily be underpaid without knowing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:01 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
You may be better off calculating what 2 or 3 percent raise on your current salary is, and asking for that. Asking for a dramatic raise because you heard "other people get paid that much" doesn't usually go over well.

If I’m making say $4 less /hour than average then I have a decision to make. either ask for something in between or find another job that has a better pay. Not knowing what the going rate is definitely won’t help me.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:02 pm
A friend of mine spoke to a local recruiter when doing research before requesting a raise. She was told the average is $20-$35 an hr. The lower end for brand new employees. The higher end for more experienced valuable employees.

I'm working at my job 5 years and earn $30/hr

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:03 pm
If ur a secretary I think 20-22 is average since u have expedience

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:03 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
If ur a secretary I think 20-22 is average since u have expedience

That's very little for 5 years experience

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:08 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
A friend of mine spoke to a local recruiter when doing research before requesting a raise. She was told the average is $20-$35 an hr. The lower end for brand new employees. The higher end for more experienced valuable employees.

I'm working at my job 5 years and earn $30/hr

Thanks, can I ask what kind of work you do?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, can I ask what kind of work you do?

Just a regular administrative assistant/secretarial position

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:21 pm
There are so many factors that go into how much you get raised.

My experience in BP:
Jobs start at about 20 per hour for non-experienced hires.
If you have a boss that considers raising to be a standard thing to do, then you will get raised based on how good of an employee you are.
Meaning if you and another worker do the same thing, you won't necessarily be making the same after 5 years - if one of you does your job significantly better, more efficiently, with a better attitude, more professionally, is better with being punctual, etc then that will all play into how much the raise will be. So Employee A can start at 20, and 5 years later be at 30 (after 5 annual raises) and Employee B can start at 20, and 5 years later be at 25 (after 3 raises, each once every 1.5 years).

ROFL

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:29 pm
Wow. That is loads of money for a secretary position.

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:38 pm
ROFL wrote:
Wow. That is loads of money for a secretary position.

True, but these hourly rates are generally:
• for full-time employees
• capped out at 35 unless you're in a very specific filed that requires industry-specific knowledge, such as mortgages, medical billing - and even then you max at probably 40, 45
• in from local offices, which tend to be in very expensive cities to live

So it's a fabulous salary for someone without a degree (and its accompanying student debt), but the max you can make is about 90k, and as other posts have shown, in cities like BP that's not nearly enough.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:42 pm
I work at a large company in the city and they pay about $21 per hour for paralegals and assistants, together with health insurance and 401k.

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:44 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I work at a large company in the city and they pay about $21 per hour for paralegals and assistants, together with health insurance and 401k.

This is another great point. I don't know a single frum office that offers employer-paid health insurance, or a 401k.
So the base salary may be higher, but the perks aren't there.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:44 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
True, but these hourly rates are generally:
• for full-time employees
• capped out at 35 unless you're in a very specific filed that requires industry-specific knowledge, such as mortgages, medical billing - and even then you max at probably 40, 45
• in from local offices, which tend to be in very expensive cities to live

So it's a fabulous salary for someone without a degree (and its accompanying student debt), but the max you can make is about 90k, and as other posts have shown, in cities like BP that's not nearly enough.

Actually I mostly hear of these rates for part time employees. Full time secretaries get a weekly rate which comes out to less per hr

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:45 pm
Mine offers health insurance and fsa as well as 15 days off per yr. ts illegal not to offer insurance for big employers

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Mine offers health insurance and fsa as well as 15 days off per yr. ts illegal not to offer insurance for big employers

Mine also offers health insurance, but I have to pay the premiums, which are sky-high. Does yours offer free health insurance?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:51 pm
Before my current job I interviewed at a large bp human services type employer. They offered me a starting salary of $25 per hr (I was somewhat experienced from a different job) with a health insurance option for a few hundred dollar premium a month
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics