Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What's the hardest age?
Previous  1  2

As a mother, what's the hardest age?
newborn  
 19%  [ 8 ]
infant  
 7%  [ 3 ]
toddler  
 46%  [ 19 ]
preschool  
 12%  [ 5 ]
6-9  
 2%  [ 1 ]
9-12  
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 41

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 9:36 pm
Yakira, it took four months for my son to be out of the newborn stage. He cried 70% of the time that he was awake. Howver, I was not working like you are, and he napped 3X a day, so I'd nap once with him and use the other nap to do stuff around the house. His waking times were nightmarish.... until he turned four months old and stopped crying so much. there is a light at the end of the tunnel Smile

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 9:52 pm
So far my oldest is almost 5. So far are all the ages are equally challenging to me. the distruction my kids do together drives me nuts and also the endless fighting. "He took me XXX" or "He patched me mommy"

Yakira

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 10:27 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Yakira, it took four months for my son to be out of the newborn stage. He cried 70% of the time that he was awake. Howver, I was not working like you are, and he napped 3X a day, so I'd nap once with him and use the other nap to do stuff around the house. His waking times were nightmarish.... until he turned four months old and stopped crying so much. there is a light at the end of the tunnel Smile

That's another thing -- she thinks she's two years old -- she doesn't nap during the day!!! A few minutes here and there and a couple of hours in the morning, so before I went back to work we'd both sleep until 10 AM or so. But what happened to the 16 hours that newborns are supposed to sleep!! At least she sleeps through the night though b'h Smile.

Shif, I think I'll probably be like you and have an easier time with babies and children who are older.

Bh BH BH!

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 12:08 am
mumoo wrote:
mimivan wrote:
ages 1 to 2.5...when they are into everything and can't yet understand

over 12...when they are into everything and can't yet understand

kleine kinder, kleine tsuris; groyse kinder, groyse tzuris

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 12:12 am
toddler stage hands down. ARGH!

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:45 am
I love all the ages, except the first 6 weeks and 1.5-2. Two year olds are much easier than before 2 to me. At least a two year old has some understanding.

To those struggling with 2 and 3 year olds (and more) who must have the food exactly as they want it - just tell them that's what is available. The first time they will throw a tantrum and not eat it. The second time they will first throw a tantrum, and eventually eat it when they see you're not budging. The third time they will not even throw a tantrum, but will have learned that it's a waste of time, and it is possible to eat a biscuit without one corner. (Disclaimer: some kids will take longer, especially if you've already taught them that Mommy will replace anything that doesn't quite conform to the little princess's exact specifications.)

mimivan

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 2:56 am
Thanks Shalhevet, for the advice!

Btw...he had leftover pizza last night (we had pizza two nights in a row ONLY because our gas is out and repairman couldn't come yesterday .. Confused )

and guess what...a bit of oregano landed on his tomato and he said NOTHING. this time ..but wanted the piece without the smooshed corner...

So you are right. It is caprice and is best not to give into it or worry about it!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 3:10 am
I think the hardest for me was 8-18 months. Before and after that, it's a different type of hard. I absolutely adore having my 3 yo around all the time, and it's not that he's a quiet pussycat, quite the opposite, but it's FUN!

grin

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 7:02 am
Unfair Q.
I love and hate all ages and all stages (inc. teens! - can be lots of fun and thought-provoking). It all depends on how the sun shines on us that day.

Newsie

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 7:38 am
I also can't decide. I love the newborn stage- but I didn't with my first because I had no clue what was flying. I have a preschooler who is very difficult B"H, but he was difficult when he was a toddler. My toddler can also be difficult at times but is pretty well behaved most of the time. I guess it depends on the nature of the child

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 8:53 am
I found al ages chalanging.

newbrn with ds1 butnot so much with ds2. but with ds2 teh todller age was hard cus her crwaled very early and was all ove the place....

when I took my niece 3 weeks ago she's now 18 months I didn't know hat to do!!! she was everywhere making a mess and you name it!!

ok the other stages were easier but then yo havethe terrible 2's, ds1 who is 8 now is very demanding... independe4nce etc. and ds2 at nearly 5 can also be just as demanding.

oh well I'd say all stages are hard...

grin

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 1:50 pm
mimivan wrote:
I thought 4 and 5 would be easier...

but then they go through the pedantic stage of if-you-cut-the-sandwich-in-rectangles-instead-of-triangles-I-won't-eat-it-and-will -whine-and-cry....

Or Do you want oregano on your pizza? (I pick up the jar and show ds so he knows what I am talking about.)
Yes.
I put it on his pizza.
He cries "Not on top of the tomato! Now it's yucky!"

How do people deal with this...it drives me insane!!

I deal with it by:

1 - taking the food away, to teach him a lesson
2 - remembering that this is "kleine tzoros" and not worth getting really upset over.

grin

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
I have a newborn, toddler, preschooler, a kindergatener, a 7 year old, 9 year old, and a 10 year old. The 10 year old is the most difficult! Yes, the sleepless nights with a newborn are difficult, but that is nothing in comparison to the battles I have with my pre-teen! (My newborn keeps me up, but at least she doesn't talk yet! Very Happy )

I hope you're battling only important things; otherwise, you're going to have lots more fights coming your way! and you going to lose most of them!! Wink

raizy

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 11:35 pm
I love the newborn stage. except if the baby is colicky and I cant figure it out. it usally takes 6 weeks to settle.

but I think the older kids 8 yr old is the hardest . he refuses to take bath or showers I have to haul him into the bathroom to take a shower and then he stands in the shower for 1.2 an hour. and he wont get out.... after 1.2 hrs I ask him did u soap yourselve he said. NO I forgot. what on earth was he doing all that time.just letting the hot water run on him.

the older they are its more of a mind game. the younger they are its more physical.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics