Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of a new kitchen? full bathroom?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 12:36 am
I am trying to save up for home renovations. We moved into this house almost 20 years ago, and the bathroom and kitchen were old even then... There was never enough money or time for this, and we just kept postponing. I recently decided that it is really a priority for me. Of course, I am going to get several estimates, but I would like to know what it is supposed to cost if you choose mid-range level work. Not super fancy or extravagant, but quality work -- something nice that is going to last for years. How much on average is it supposed to cost?

QueensMama

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 12:48 am
I don't know the answer but I'm assuming you need to post kitchen size.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 1:05 am
QueensMama wrote:
I don't know the answer but I'm assuming you need to post kitchen size.

Small, L- shaped kitchen. I don't have exact measurements. If needed, I will measure.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 1:10 am
My small L shaped kitchen costed me 25k

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 1:36 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
My small L shaped kitchen costed me 25k

My 12x12 costed around 27k including floors and one dishwasher and one oven cabinets counters. I was very careful to keep costs down.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 1:58 am
Following. Id love to hear if you can do it for less.

I think a decent quality kitchen that wont quickly self destruct, with cabinets and contractors charges start at 20,000, even for small kitchens (even Home Depot, etc).

I think decent quality bathrooms that wont quickly self destruct, start at 10,000.

My figures may be low, because Im basing it on costs from about 5 years ago.

If someone can get even a small kitchen done for less than $20,000 with cabinets, floors, appliances, contractor charges, Ill eat my hat.

shanarishona

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:07 am
Following

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:20 am
I think you need to be more specific.

Labor costs vary depending on your location.

Do you want granite or some other expensive countertops? Cabinets - custom made or stock? High end appliances or standard?

Will you need to move pipes, vents etc? Will you be involving an exterior wall in any way?

All these factor into how much you will spend.

Sit down with a kitchen designer to see what you really want. He or she will be able to give you a rough idea of what it will cost. If it's too much, hold onto the plans until you're ready to go ahead.

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 6:03 am
I recently redid my kitchen. Mine was 47k with appliances but it's a nice kitchen, with that in mind I would guesstimate 20k-30k. It's a big range but I can't imagine why it should be more.
I guesstimated also by having my pesach kitchen in mind. It's 3/4 of a wall. I put in the cheapest kitchen. It costed me 5k plus an oven.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:05 am
I just redid a small bathroom in brooklyn, without permits Surprised . It was a complete reno, down to the studs and cost 25k. We had cracked pipes and had to run new electric and had a custom made vanity to give you an idea. My house was super old but if urs is fine behind the walls, should be much cheaper. I did the most expensive metal/color on the Delta line we chose so with accessories you could save 1k right there. Then of course my shower doors had to be custom made and ordered to match which was over 2k more. Also did a lot of marble and expensive floor tiles.

My contractor, when he thought I was going for basic nice and functional, said it should cost 10-15k depending on what was behind the walls and under the floors. I'd say 15k was probably very doable, even with the issues our house had. But I like what I like... See what you like beforehand to make sure you're not unknowingly eyeing the most expensive items!

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:32 am
The past tense of “cost” is “cost.”

We did our kitchen for 15k but not fancy at all, and OOT.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:34 am
You can get a typical kitchen for 8,000-12,000 and bathrooms 2,500-3,500 each. The sky is the limit though. Most of the typical frum new construction just have up to 12k kitchens because materials are much cheaper.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:55 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Following. Id love to hear if you can do it for less.

I think a decent quality kitchen that wont quickly self destruct, with cabinets and contractors charges start at 20,000, even for small kitchens (even Home Depot, etc).

I think decent quality bathrooms that wont quickly self destruct, start at 10,000.

That's about how much it cost us recently.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 04 2021, 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 9:39 am
Is anyone willing to post pics of their kitchens when offering the price they paid (especially when their kitchen is way below or way above the norm, cost-wise)?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 4:16 pm
I just redid my kitchen. an L kitchen 15x12.
Cost: $33k
I wanted it to cost max 30k. I tried but at the end....

elisabeth

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 5:45 pm
One thing to keep in mind is that in addition to the material type (budget, mid-range, high-end), the amount you're changing also impacts the cost. Keeping the layout as is saves enormously, because they don't need to re-do plumbing and electrical. Moving around the layout, taking down walls to expand the footprint of the kitchen, etc. all adds to the cost. Also, if you have an older home it's important to remember that existing wiring, windows, etc, may not be up to code to pass inspection on a reno. I would recommend getting 3 quotes to really see a range for your project and area!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 8:02 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
You can get a typical kitchen for 8,000-12,000 and bathrooms 2,500-3,500 each. The sky is the limit though. Most of the typical frum new construction just have up to 12k kitchens because materials are much cheaper.

Where???? Please name contractor/cabinet maker.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 9:41 pm
Bathroom 7-10k
Kitchen can be done for under 20k. Dh just did one for someone I know (not so tiny. Not huge. Very hard layout cuz lots of wall bumps) cost 15k with appliances. Very pretty with granite. Someone else I know did one for 12k.
My pesach kitchen cost me under 2k but I got everything cost and dh put it in himself basically.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 10:08 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Bathroom 7-10k
Kitchen can be done for under 20k. Dh just did one for someone I know (not so tiny. Not huge. Very hard layout cuz lots of wall bumps) cost 15k with appliances. Very pretty with granite. Someone else I know did one for 12k.
My pesach kitchen cost me under 2k but I got everything cost and dh put it in himself basically.

Where are you located? If you're in Lakewood, is your DH looking for work? Can you post a picture of the 15k kitchen he did? Thanks.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 10:11 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:

In NYC?

Please give me the name of licensed contractors who do bathroom renovations for $3500. When I priced it a couple of years ago, it was $25,000, not including tiling the walls outside the tub enclosure.

Not highest end. Tiny bathroom with a tub/shower, tiny vanity, and American Standard commode.

I checked with many others who renovated, and that's the going rate.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics