Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Ds in israel his cards have foreign transaction fees

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 11:13 am
How can he avoid paying the fees

juggling

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 11:19 am
Get him a card that does not charge foreign transaction fees. It's card-dependent.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 11:24 am
juggling wrote:
Get him a card that does not charge foreign transaction fees. It's card-dependent.

Do I need to get it in the US and send it to him?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 11:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes. Capital one is great for international use.

juggling

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 11:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'm going to make some assumptions here, tell me if I'm wrong. He's in Israel as a student? And you're in the US? And he's spending on an American credit card so that you can pay the bills from your American bank account? And he does not have an Israeli bank account or any way to get shekels into an Israeli account? Then it would seem to me the only way to get him a credit card would be to send it with someone who is travelling to Israel. If he does have a shekel account with money in it he could get an Israeli credit card through his bank.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 11:34 am
I lost my card here and chase sent one to my apartment here in two days..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 11:36 am
juggling wrote:
I'm going to make some assumptions here, tell me if I'm wrong. He's in Israel as a student? And you're in the US? And he's spending on an American credit card so that you can pay the bills from your American bank account? And he does not have an Israeli bank account or any way to get shekels into an Israeli account? Then it would seem to me the only way to get him a credit card would be to send it with someone who is travelling to Israel. If he does have a shekel account with money in it he could get an Israeli credit card through his bank.

Yes you are right. He is also getting a salary from the US working online. Can he open a shekel account and is it a good idea. Otherwise I understand that I need to send him a card.

juggling

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes you are right. He is also getting a salary from the US working online. Can he open a shekel account and is it a good idea. Otherwise I understand that I need to send him a card.

If his income is in dollars I don't see any advantage to him having a shekel account.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 12:02 pm
American banks / cc’s tend to be a lot cheaper than Israeli ones fee wise.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 12:19 pm
Charles Schwab is a great option for yeshiva or seminary students. You can transfer money into their Charles Schwab account and use it for purchases in IL with no fee.

twizzlers1

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 12:38 pm
If he's just here short-term it's not really worth opening a bank account and not so easy either if you're a tourist. We make dollars so we have a capital and credit card that we use for a lot of our purchases. We live here permanently so we also have an Israeli bank account but didn't for a while.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I lost my card here and chase sent one to my apartment here in two days..

I wonder if capital one will send a card to Israrl

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 12:41 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Charles Schwab is a great option for yeshiva or seminary students. You can transfer money into their Charles Schwab account and use it for purchases in IL with no fee.

Sounds good. Is it only for students. Because his student program is ending but he plans to stay in israel

essie14

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 1:27 pm
Chase will send a card to Israel. The Sapphire card has no foreign fees.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 1:38 pm
essie14 wrote:
Chase will send a card to Israel. The Sapphire card has no foreign fees.

Thanks

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:00 pm
Charles Schwab is not just for students. I just know many students who open an account there and get a debit card there before going to IL.

Shuly

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:28 pm
Capital One 360 Bank account has no transaction fees if you take out money from a bank's ATM and their credit cards have no overseas fees.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 4:10 pm
Bank of America Travel Rewards card also has no foreign transaction fees.
We are in Israel. They have sent us a replacement card here.

Also Discover card has no foreign transaction fees, but it's not accepted in many places here.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 9:14 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Yes. Capital one is great for international use.

I hadn't known that when ds went to Israel years ago, but I am so thankful that Capital 1 was the card I had handy to give him when he left the states. No fees, and hes been there many years already.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics