Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Want to sleep train 10 month old but pacifiers fall out crib
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 7:41 am
I want to sleep train my 10 month old (she wakes up multiple times between 11-4 at night) and she seems ready to learn but I do the CIO method (worked in 1 night with my other kids, who love me and are secure in my love for them. No negstive affects.) and she throws all (3 or 4) of her pacifiers out of the crib. I can't leave her crying for her pacifiers. Advice?

Cookin4days

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 7:49 am
I’ve seen pacifiers that are attached to small blankies - would that help?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 7:57 am
Cookin4days wrote:
I’ve seen pacifiers that are attached to small blankies - would that help?

Yes that might help I'll look online

meme6

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 8:05 am
I had a friend who attatched one to the slate of the crib that way she knew her baby always had in the only issue was that it was a short string so once baby was quiet she gave her back all the other Paci’s she threw out. But they make small blankets to attach paci to which she will probably throw out also. she sounds really feisty good luck

srbmom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 8:06 am
Also do you have mesh bumpers? It doesn't stop the baby from throwing the pacifiers over the top of the crib, but it will stop them from going out the bottom of the slats

https://www.target.com/p/breat.....53561

meme6

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 8:06 am
For got another one attaching it to the sleeveless under shirts with a loop so child can’t remove.

mochacoffee

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 8:14 am
Swaddlebee makes a blanky that has a loop on each sides so I attach the blanky to the crib slat and a pacifier to the other side.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 8:26 am
We used pacifier clips. I clipped them to the zipper part of the jammies, low enough down that it couldn’t become a choking/neck issue. It probably couldn’t anyway, but I was extra careful.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 8:43 am
I attach the pacifier clip to the pj's. It's too short for it to be a choking hazard.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 8:48 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I attach the pacifier clip to the pj's. It's too short for it to be a choking hazard.

Yup especially if they are a certified brand. Homemade ones can be a choking hazard if not made correctly- I believe they mustn’t be longer than 21cm all in. I clip to sleep sack as low as I can

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 9:10 am
I got rid of my babies pacifier for this reason. If you are letting her cry anyway, she can learn to fall asleep without a pacifier.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 9:12 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
I got rid of my babies pacifier for this reason. If you are letting her cry anyway, she can learn to fall asleep without a pacifier.

This isn’t a reason to get rid of a pacifier, it's actually quite mean. And paci's are a sanity saver in the toddler stage.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 9:18 am
stillnewlywed wrote:

Totally agree. 2 for 1 special. Teach her both skills together

nchr

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 9:19 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
This isn’t a reason to get rid of a pacifier, it's actually quite mean. And paci's are a sanity saver in the toddler stage.

There is no need to have a pacifier after 6 or 9 months at the latest. They are not addicted at that point and you can take it away. Afterwarda it's just a crutch and reallh unhealthy for their jaw and teeth. Toddlers with pacifiers just behave immaturely. I cannot see any situation where a normal toddler would need a pacifer.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 9:20 am
nchr wrote:
There is no need to have a pacifier after 6 or 9 months at the latest. They are not addicted at that point and you can take it away. Afterwarda it's just a crutch and reallh unhealthy for their jaw and teeth. Toddlers with pacifiers just behave immaturely. I cannot see any situation where a normal toddler would need a pacifer.

Additionally as they become older toddlers they need to learn to use their words to express their needs and frustrations

jfk92

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 9:23 am
Mesh bumpers and lots of pacifiers. My 5 month old has like 10 in his crib before I put him in for the night. So even if a few go missing he still has like 6 left

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 9:52 am
nchr wrote:

By toddler I mean a 1-2 year old, It's not a crutch, it's a calming tool for them. Toddlers are immature, they don't need be mature, they're babies. Paci's never affected my kids behavior, jaws, teeth, or speech. They all spoke early and very clearly. They have something to calm down with.
My observation is that toddlers that don't take paci's are much harder kids & constantly crying and kvetching, they have nothing to calm down with.
So many mom's are forcing their poor babies to grow up and mature fast & they don't even think about the baby's feelings and needs. What did a poor 10 month old baby do to deserve to being left to CIO in her crib and having her paci taken away at the same time??? How is this not mean?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 9:54 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
By toddler I mean a 1-2 year old, It's not a crutch, it's a calming tool for them. Toddlers are immature, they don't need be mature, they're babies. Paci's never affected my kids behavior, jaws, teeth, or speech.
They have something to calm down with.
My observation is that toddlers that don't take paci's are much harder kids, they have nothing to calm down with.

I agree with you totally!!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:11 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
By toddler I mean a 1-2 year old, It's not a crutch, it's a calming tool for them. Toddlers are immature, they don't need be mature, they're babies. Paci's never affected my kids behavior, jaws, teeth, or speech. They all spoke early and very clearly. They have something to calm down with.
My observation is that toddlers that don't take paci's are much harder kids & constantly crying and kvetching, they have nothing to calm down with.

Yes . My daughter who is very verbal and lets me know what all her needs and wants are , uses a pacifier as a soothing tool. She will ask for a kiss and her pacifier.

nchr

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:27 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
So many mom's are forcing their poor babies to grow up and mature fast & they don't even think about the baby's feelings and needs. What did a poor 10 month old baby do to deserve to being left to CIO in her crib and having her paci taken away at the same time??? How is this not mean?

10 months is a little late for sleep training and taking away a pacifier. That can happen earlier. The american academy of pediatrics recommends parents take away pacifiers at 6 months and a child isn't missing it then.

It's not mean because it is much meaner to let your child become reliant on a pacifier than learn to calm themselves down. And much meaner for you to allow your child to wake-up multiple times a night than for you to teach them to sleep and not wake up others.

In my experience children without pacifiers are much calmer and those with them are usually spoiled and unpleasant, but that's anecdotal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics