Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Piano vs keyboard/ baseline pro

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 7:42 am
Hi looking into my 7 year old taking baseline pro keyboard online lessons? Anyone take and happy? How old was your child?And will they eventually be able to transfer to piano after or limited to keyboard ?

s c

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:22 am
Depends what you want out of the lessons . If uou want your child to learn classically and really fulfil their musical potential nothing can beat a real piano. They will learn the range of dynamics,expression and control on a real piano in a way which is impossible if they learn on a keyboard. If you just want them navigate the keys and play, a keyboard is just fine. I'm very biased because I'm classically taught and inclined so will be interesting to hear other views.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:45 pm
I would highly recommend bassline, I started out and new nothing about chords and beats and I learned to play beautifully!
it was the perfect thing since I wouldnt go out to learn it at this point but this is super convenient. also, shmuel is always available to answer any questions( I asked through txt) which helped tons. he teaches in extremely clear way

mom of three bh

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:45 pm
I think once you learn keyboard its easy to transition to piano

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:46 pm
Anyone have experience with basslinepro online lessons?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:48 pm
s c wrote:
Depends what you want out of the lessons . If uou want your child to learn classically and really fulfil their musical potential nothing can beat a real piano. They will learn the range of dynamics,expression and control on a real piano in a way which is impossible if they learn on a keyboard. If you just want them navigate the keys and play, a keyboard is just fine. I'm very biased because I'm classically taught and inclined so will be interesting to hear other views.

This is my experience as well.

I don't really have experience with keyboard lessons, so can't comment on that. But one thing I'll say - make sure your DD learns to read notes. I know people who learned by other methods, and regret it. One person I know says he now has a mental block to reading notes, and wishes he didn't.

mom of three bh

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:50 pm
if you play by ear , notes arent neccessary

mom of three bh

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:51 pm
I took bassline pro as well up to lesson number 40. great experience

L K

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:51 pm
Chayalle wrote:
This is my experience as well.

I don't really have experience with keyboard lessons, so can't comment on that. But one thing I'll say - make sure your DD learns to read notes. I know people who learned by other methods, and regret it. One person I know says he now has a mental block to reading notes, and wishes he didn't.

Did you have any of your dds learn pianos including note reading?
If so could you please recommend a teachr?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:54 pm
L K wrote:
Did you have any of your dds learn pianos including note reading?
If so could you please recommend a teachr?

yes but...the teacher was...me (and I'm not a piano teacher).

I will try to find some recommendations for you. I know someone who gives lessons but I have no knowledge of the level of her teaching - just know her as a person - Sara Berger. She's really nice.

I know Gitty Grama used to give lessons, don't know if she still does, but she's someone I'd recommend both as a person and in ability.

L K

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 1:03 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I will try to find some recommendations for you. I know someone who gives lessons but I have no knowledge of the level of her teaching - just know her as a person - Sara Berger. She's really nice.

I know Gitty Grama used to give lessons, don't know if she still does, but she's someone I'd recommend both as a person and in ability.

I would totally get you as a teacher (one way to bribe you is that I have a nice piano at home lol).

My oldest learnt how to play years ago, with a teacher, is super talented but never learnt how to read notes; it’s such a pity. she used to memorize teacher’s hand movements and play like that. I wonder if there’s a way to cure that.

Now I have another one ready for lessons and I want to start her off with the right teacher, knowing how it went for the oldest.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 1:07 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Gitty Grama is not currently giving lessons but if you hold out a bit she will start giving again sometime.

She probably has a waiting list so not sure she'd have time for you. But I'd highly recommend calling her for a reference for a piano teacher trained by her. She is absolutely amazing!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:42 pm
What about Joni Miller for a young beginner kid? Would that be too serious?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 1:30 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
What about Joni Miller for a young beginner kid? Would that be too serious?

If you're serious about lessons, it's a great option too. Same for Grama, btw-for serious students who really want proper classical training and will practice.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 4:48 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Gitty Grama is not currently giving lessons but if you hold out a bit she will start giving again sometime.

She probably has a waiting list so not sure she'd have time for you. But I'd highly recommend calling her for a reference for a piano teacher trained by her. She is absolutely amazing!!

So Sara Berger trained under Gitty. I would think she's good.

I have absolutely no time to give lessons...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children