Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Most affordable communities in Jerusalem
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 5:17 pm
What are the most affordable communities in Jerusalem? Approximate housing costs?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 5:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What are the most affordable communities in Jerusalem? Approximate housing costs?

There are no affordable communities in Jerusalem.
That being said- what kind of neighborhood are you looking for? charedi? Dati leumi? Very anglo?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 5:38 pm
We’re open minded. Ideally somewhere with at least a handful of anglos. Somewhere frum, but open to a range of different types of communities.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:23 am
Most affordable places in Jerusalem are probably
Kiryat Yovel
Ir ganim
Gilo
Pisgat zeev
But all expensive compared to outside Jerusalem

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:26 am
Only things at the edge of the city. It will be a 30-60 minute commute to the main area of the city. To the kosel, Yafo, Ben Yehudah, The shuk, Bar Ilan, Tachana Merkazit Jerusalem, etc.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:27 am
OP:

How large is your family in residence?
What are you looking for in home/community?
What's your approximate price range?

I love house hunting. Let's see if we can find some listings for you!

shevi82

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:30 am
Neve Yaakov
Pisgat Zeev
Probably 20 minute drive from the center.
Neve Yaakov has alot of Anglos , is basically charedi.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:33 am
Rappel wrote:
OP:

How large is your family in residence?
What are you looking for in home/community?
What's your approximate price range?

I love house hunting. Let's see if we can find some listings for you!

Thanks! We need a 3 bedroom home. Price is a huge factor so could you help me find ideas outside Jerusalem too? It needs to be somewhere with a warm community that’s frum, and hopefully some English speakers. It’s okay if it’s a mix of people there, we just want to find our chevra. We’d potentially consider anywhere in Israel that makes sense. Where are some of the most affordable communities we could look at?

salt

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! We need a 3 bedroom home. Price is a huge factor so could you help me find ideas outside Jerusalem too? It needs to be somewhere with a warm community that’s frum, and hopefully some English speakers. It’s okay if it’s a mix of people there, we just want to find our chevra. We’d potentially consider anywhere in Israel that makes sense. Where are some of the most affordable communities we could look at?

OP where do yo live now?
Are you already in Israel?

I'm guessing you are not, because of your wording : "community that's frum" - in Israel, for better or for worse, you have to describe what kind of "frum" - in order to find a suitable community and schools.

Last edited by salt on Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Okeydoke!

Affordable is relative, so I'm going to need a range. Do you have babies, so lots of stairs are impractical? Is owning a car an option? Do you have any hobbies/space requirements which would be a plus in a house?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 3:58 am
I’m still in the US.

No specific house requirements that I can think of. Stairs are okay but I’d prefer not to be 20 flights up with no elevator.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 4:37 am
Hard to know what's best for you without a specific budget or type of religious community you want.

Something to consider - in many big cities, people allocate 30 percent of monthly income for rent. In Israel, where rent doesn't cover utilities or property tax, and where the standard is to rent a place without major appliances, you're best off if you can keep rent to 25 percent of your monthly income.

Are you planning to buy a car? If so, you can expand your search.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 4:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you mean on the outskirts of Jerusalem?

Or are you considering Jerusalem and NOT Jerusalem (I.e., anywhere in Israel)? Because the latter opens up the answers considerably.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you have *any* geographical restrictions? Language requirements? Kids who need a certain type of school?

The question is very vague.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 4:48 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Most affordable places in Jerusalem are probably
Kiryat Yovel
Ir ganim
Gilo
Pisgat zeev
But all expensive compared to outside Jerusalem

Also:
Armon Hanatziv
Har Homa
Kiryat Menachem
They are all cheaper because they are far from the center of town.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:31 am
I guess anywhere. I prefer Jerusalem for a gazillion reasons, but so does everyone else I'm sure. Our absolute needs are: Affordable, can get by with minimal at first but hopefully improving Hebrew, a Shul where we'd feel comfortable. My best guess about our closest "box" in Israel is Chardal, maybe more towards chareidi, but from what I know of Israel categories of frumkeit, chareidi is probably too much for us. Personally I would love a community where there's a mix and everyone is happy with each other, is that a thing? We need special needs resources (PT, OP, speech, special ed), and can't be too far from a pharmacy. Extra pluses that would make us happier: a calmer, quiet neighborhood, nicer, bigger living space. We hope to have a car.

Success10

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:36 am
Can you define affordable? Also, do you define yourself as Zionist? Like most potential olim, you might do well in RBS A, but it depends on what your budget is, and if you'd fit into any of the school systems there. Rent in RBS A for a 3 bedroom home ranges from 4000 to 5500 shekels, depends if you need renovated, succah porch, nicer area, etc...

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:39 am
Possibilities- Ramat Beit Shemesh, parts of Ramot, Har Choma and Maale Adumim, maybe Alon Shvut.

The advantage of Har Choma and Ramot is that you will be eligible for special ed services through the Jerusalem municipality. They have a large, very good network. Next best is Gush Etzion, but I think most of it isn't a good religious fit. Ramat Beit Shemesh is a bit of a commute to Jerusalem, but probably has the community you want.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 5:58 am
If you are going to have a car, then I second Ramot or Har Choma, to be able to get services from jerusalem municipality. Otherwise I would say RBS A.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I guess anywhere. I prefer Jerusalem for a gazillion reasons, but so does everyone else I'm sure. Our absolute needs are: Affordable, can get by with minimal at first but hopefully improving Hebrew, a Shul where we'd feel comfortable. My best guess about our closest "box" in Israel is Chardal, maybe more towards chareidi, but from what I know of Israel categories of frumkeit, chareidi is probably too much for us. Personally I would love a community where there's a mix and everyone is happy with each other, is that a thing? We need special needs resources (PT, OP, speech, special ed), and can't be too far from a pharmacy. Extra pluses that would make us happier: a calmer, quiet neighborhood, nicer, bigger living space. We hope to have a car.

This won't be a concern unless you move to a remote hilltop/very small moshav somewhere.

Teomima

Post Sun, Jan 10 2021, 6:08 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
If you are going to have a car, then I second Ramot or Har Choma, to be able to get services from jerusalem municipality. Otherwise I would say RBS A.

These are both manageable without a car, too. There's major bus lines that run to both neighborhoods and go right through the center of town. Har Choma is close to Talpiyot, which has just about every kind of shop you could need. However I don't know how affordable Har Choma is anymore.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions