Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Considering leaving NY - where to?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

If you left of might leave NY, where to?
Israel  
 29%  [ 28 ]
Florida  
 39%  [ 37 ]
Other US state (please comment which)  
 23%  [ 22 ]
Other (please comment where)  
 7%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 94

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Do you want individuals and groups deemed a public safety threat, out on the streets? (I think that’s more scary.)

Who is John Galt?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:21 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
California. Better weather and better jobs. I support public health measures though, and value saving human lives over a nebulous idea of “freedom.”

You do know that people are fleeing California en masse. It has become a cesspool of corruption, homelessness, and government exploitation. I would encourage people to stay far away.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Mostly I'm worried about the bill going to the governor on Wednesday about detaining individuals and groups deemed a public safety threat. Wording is scarily vague and can easily be abused and lead to full on detention camps. No trivial thing at all. If you're not worried, think about neighbors tattling on the Jews for having a wedding and then the roundups of Jews for spreading the virus, and who is to decide which people are a threat and why? Can be detained indefinitely in a medical facility or whatever other facility the governor decides. Speed limits are fine. Detention camps are not.

From what I understand, this bill was proposed a while back, and the governor, and many others, are not in favor.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 10:29 am
Agree with everything you wrote Op
Like you we are very careful and responsible regarding covid
Like you we see what is going on right before our very eyes
Chilling
Moving states if not moving to Israel is voting with our feet and being prepared as best as possible
May Hashem Keep us all healthy and happy
We do our hishtadlus
We need moshiach now!

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:11 am
Im with you OP. Over time, im getting the vibe that it's time to move. High cost of living, increased anti semitism, increased overall lawlessness. I like the schools and conveniences but still...

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Ok, what things? We absolutely love it here. I’m sure it’s not for everyone, but I can’t see us ever leaving. California is also really big with many many different communities. We rented for a year and spent almost every shabbos visiting a different one so we could buy in a place we truly loved.

1. Serious homeless problem, even in expensive areas.
2. Horrific weather, especially if you are in the valley, but in the city as well.
3. Non existent mental health care.
4. Bad traffic.
5. Friendly, but two-faced attitude.
6. Poor academics.
7. If you require government assistance like medicaid, therapy, etc. it is hard to obtain due to previous governor Ronald Regan.
8. I've heard a lot of long time LA families are moving out of there and cannot move fast enough.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:31 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Ok, what things? We absolutely love it here. I’m sure it’s not for everyone, but I can’t see us ever leaving. California is also really big with many many different communities. We rented for a year and spent almost every shabbos visiting a different one so we could buy in a place we truly loved.

may I ask which community youre a part of?

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:43 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
2. Horrific weather, especially if you are in the valley, but in the city as well.
4. Bad traffic.
6. Poor academics.
7. If you require government assistance like medicaid, therapy, etc. it is hard to obtain due to previous governor Ronald Regan.
8. I've heard a lot of long time LA families are moving out of there and cannot move fast enough.

Horrible weather? I lived in CA for a few years. The weather is one of the pluses.

N Cal is different from S Cal..

Agree with many of your other points, esp as applies to LA/SF.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:23 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
4. Bad traffic.
6. Poor academics.

1. Homelessness is a huge problem in many areas. It is not an issue within our neighborhood (or many many of the Jewish neighborhoods). There are plenty of places to choose from if you prioritize that in where to move.
2. The weather is phenomenal for us. If you prefer hot and muggy summers with snowy winters, it’s not for you. We’ll just have to agree to disagree.
3. I’m not sure where you got this from? There’s plenty of mental health providers.
4. Traffic is bad, so we chose jobs & housing locations to minimize it. Many people work remotely some of the time (even pre-Covid) so you’re not commuting 5 days a week.
5. This has not at all been my experience. I’m sure it varies with community though, so it’s important to pick somewhere that’s a good fit for you.
6. The Jewish schools around us have great academics. The public school academics vary by district (of course).
7. Yeah, it’s not a place to plan to live in poverty and rely on government handouts. The economics of it work well if you can tap into the fabulous economy.
8. Ok? It’s a big state with a lot of people, so some will always be leaving and others coming. Overall, our community is growing.

ETA: I was by no means trying to say that California is the best place for everyone. It’s definitely not. OP asked if you had moved out of NY, where’d you go and why. We moved from NY to California and it’s been the best decision for us. We are certainly not alone in this but everyone has to make the call of what’s right for their own family.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:26 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
may I ask which community youre a part of?

I don’t want to give my specific community on here, but I live in Northern California (Bay Area). There are many beautiful (but small) communities throughout the Bay Area. If there’s something specific you’re looking for, I can help point you to some ideas.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:30 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
1. Homelessness is a huge problem in many areas. It is not an issue within our neighborhood (or many many of the Jewish neighborhoods). There are plenty of places to choose from if you prioritize that in where to move.
2. The weather is phenomenal for us. If you prefer hot and muggy summers with snowy winters, it’s not for you. We’ll just have to agree to disagree.
3. I’m not sure where you got this from? There’s plenty of mental health providers.
4. Traffic is bad, so we chose jobs & housing locations to minimize it. Many people work remotely some of the time (even pre-Covid) so you’re not commuting 5 days a week.
5. This has not at all been my experience. I’m sure it varies with community though, so it’s important to pick somewhere that’s a good fit for you.
6. The Jewish schools around us have great academics. The public school academics vary by district (of course).
7. Yeah, it’s not a place to plan to live in poverty and rely on government handouts. The economics of it work well if you can tap into the fabulous economy.
8. Ok? It’s a big state with a lot of people, so some will always be leaving and others coming. Overall, our community is growing.

This list was clearly an Greater LA area list.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:32 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

I am from LA, and visit my family there approximately one a year.

1) I don't know where you live that homelessness is not a problem. it's become terrible the last five years. In the LaBrea area, you'll find homeless people SLEEPING ON THE SIDEWALK of my mother's block, or RESTING IN HER DRIVEWAY!!! Definitely an issue.
2) weather is nice in LA, but summer is very hot, but not humid
4) Traffic is bad. It's also bad in brooklyn, it's also bad in Lakewood...
5) not two-faced. Definitely not more than any other place!!!
6) Jewish schools have GREAT academics, even ones without a name for that are very good
7) idk, I know ppl on all the programs
8) I don't know ppl running away, can't run fast enough...

Here's why I wouldn't live in LA
1) expensive!!!!
2) expensive!!!
3) expensive!!!
Okay, so obviously not moving there.
But even if I could afford it, the PRITZUS is geferlech

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 4:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
Sorry I misunderstood. You mentioned the "constant threats to shut down yeshivas" and I assumed you thought that schools should never be shut down for epidemiological reasons.

Oh I gotcha. No, the yeshiva comment was in reference to the attempts that keep cropping up to change education laws in ways that would ultimately mean having to close yeshivas and many other parochial schools. That battle has been going on a lot longer than Covid.

With regard to other places, I’m not a fan of California. There are lovely communities there I’m sure, but it’s not for us.

Israel imas, how do you manage day to day stresses with kids schools and language barriers? Shopping trips feel like they’d be so much more stressful there too, especially if living in a large apartment building vs house with private driveway. Yes I’m spoiled, I know, but I’m honest and I want to get my mind around the practicalities of life there.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:18 pm
We live in Passaic, NJ and we are B"H very happy here. Many of the issues in NY simply don't exist in NJ. The governors of NJ have been relatively friendly to the Jewish communities. The only complaint I've heard of NJ (not Lakewood) is the high property tax, but coming from NY it's not terrible. The education for the kids is pretty good, the community is very nice, and in general, we get along pretty well with our non-Jewish neighbors. You don't always have to go very far to find a very different type of environment to live in.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:23 pm
The state of CA in general is not doing well right now. I work with the CA government and housing in my career, so I'm seeing that side, and prospects don't look good. They've been beaten hard in recent years with the wildfires, and the homelessness is a real issue. The overregulation is really catching up to them. And don't forget about the potential for earthquakes there. That said, many people will thrive in CA despite these issues looming over the state.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
Horrible weather? I lived in CA for a few years. The weather is one of the pluses.

N Cal is different from S Cal..

Agree with many of your other points, esp as applies to LA/SF.

This! There are few places with better weather than LA. Unless you particularly like snow LOL

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:29 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
If you are picking up and moving anyway, come to Israel. Because, you know, Hashem.

Confused, isn't God all over?

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 6:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Israel imas, how do you manage day to day stresses with kids schools and language barriers? Shopping trips feel like they’d be so much more stressful there too, especially if living in a large apartment building vs house with private driveway. Yes I’m spoiled, I know, but I’m honest and I want to get my mind around the practicalities of life there.

A lot of people on these board who are considering aliya and concerned about shopping. I find that puzzling -- it seems like a weird thing to worry about.

We have stores here! And living in an apartment instead of a house doesn't impact shopping very much; most apartments come with a parking space under the building and have elevators. It's not that big a deal... unless you are buying a grand piano.

The biggest hurdle, IMO, is the language barrier and making sure kids are settled and happy in school, and making sure you have a job.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:07 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Confused, isn't God all over?

Confused, did Hashem promise Avraham Avinu that his descendants would inherit the United States of America?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 8:23 am
tichellady wrote:
This! There are few places with better weather than LA. Unless you particularly like snow LOL

My friend from LA literally jokes about how horrible the weather is and only someone who hasn't lived there would say it's good.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating