Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Ground beef and rice
Previous  1  2

qt'sMOM

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:24 pm
I appreciate everyone trying to help with their delicious ideas. The types of suggestions that I think my kids will eat are the ones with simple and health ingredients, just veggies and spices, not processed stuff like I wrote in the OP since that is what they are used to. Think, non processed Pesach ingredients plus rice.
Also, I thank everyone for the meatball recipes but I have one they like already that I make with tomato sauce. The reason why I want a new idea for ground beef is we eat too many dishes with tomato sauce. That is one of the few processed ingredients we eat, and they consume tons of it instead of the usual kiddie ketchup craze.

Any ideas like the following would be helpful.

Just plain. Onion and garlic sauteed add meat and mix with rice. Salt and pepper to taste. Maybe add onion powder and garlic powder. It's heaven!!!

Also

This is for 2 pounds of beef. Grind up 1 large carrot, 1 large onion, and 1 potato in the food processor. Mix in with your rice and ground beef. Add 1 well beaten egg. Form into a meatloaf and put in a loaf pan.
Sorry for modifying your recipe. By leaving out the deli and duck sauce, I believe they may eat it.

Any other ideas, ladies?

qt'sMOM

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:26 pm
funkyfrummom wrote:
When I do ground beef with rice I cook in pan. Season with salt and pepper and either:

cumin and paprika

Serve over rice.

Amounts please! Sounds like what I'm looking for.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 10:38 pm
I would stuff peppers with seasoned ground beef, cooked rice, an egg, and cook/bake/slow cook until tender.

qt'sMOM

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I would stuff peppers with seasoned ground beef, cooked rice, an egg, and cook/bake/slow cook until tender.

I used to make this ages ago in my pre kid days. Recipe from the Spice and Spirit. I believe it had tomato sauce too. Was delish! Does your version without sauce have enough flavor? What do you season the ground beef with? Amounts please of all ingredients! Can it be made with brown rice also? Would I put it in raw like white rice or would I need to precook it?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:49 pm
qt'sMOM wrote:
I appreciate everyone trying to help with their delicious ideas. The types of suggestions that I think my kids will eat are the ones with simple and health ingredients, just veggies and spices, not processed stuff like I wrote in the OP since that is what they are used to. Think, non processed Pesach ingredients plus rice.
Also, I thank everyone for the meatball recipes but I have one they like already that I make with tomato sauce. The reason why I want a new idea for ground beef is we eat too many dishes with tomato sauce. That is one of the few processed ingredients we eat, and they consume tons of it instead of the usual kiddie ketchup craze.

Any ideas like the following would be helpful.

Just plain. Onion and garlic sauteed add meat and mix with rice. Salt and pepper to taste. Maybe add onion powder and garlic powder. It's heaven!!!

Also

This is for 2 pounds of beef. Grind up 1 large carrot, 1 large onion, and 1 potato in the food processor. Mix in with your rice and ground beef. Add 1 well beaten egg. Form into a meatloaf and put in a loaf pan.
Sorry for modifying your recipe. By leaving out the deli and duck sauce, I believe they may eat it.

Any other ideas, ladies?

Burgers using only seasoning. I mix the ground beef with salt, pepper, and your choice of seasonings (paprika, garlic powder, red pepper flakes for a bit of heat if desired), form patties, and grill.

funkyfrummom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:36 pm
qt'sMOM wrote:
Amounts please! Sounds like what I'm looking for.

I just eye it and check for taste. Liberal on the cumin. More than you would think it would be. And more if the cumin is old, lol!

Paprika depends whether smoked or regular. I usually use regular, but if I used smoked I use a little less b/c it is not my favorite (I have it more for certain recipes).

Sorry can't be more precise. But it's just the spices, no other stuff (no chopping of anything!)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 6:17 pm
qt'sMOM wrote:
I used to make this ages ago in my pre kid days. Recipe from the Spice and Spirit. I believe it had tomato sauce too. Was delish! Does your version without sauce have enough flavor? What do you season the ground beef with? Amounts please of all ingredients! Can it be made with brown rice also? Would I put it in raw like white rice or would I need to precook it?

I use just spices and cooked rice. Then I spoon a tablespoon of sauce on top of each stuffed pepper, but you can top it with the top/stem of the pepper instead, and it's still delicious and looks cute.
If you want soft meat then you need to precook the rice. Otherwise the rice soaks up all the juices from the meat as it cooks in the pepper. You can use brown rice if it has already been cooked.
I season the meat generously with chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt.
Use salt when cooking the rice too.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 7:14 am
There's a one pot rice and meatballs dish in The Marblespoon Cookbook. No time now to see if it's online anywhere.
ETA: Not in Vera Newman's recipes on Kosher.com but I see she's on pinterest, which I can't get.

estreya

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:05 am
ra_mom wrote:
Don't use baking soda for ground beef. It's used on strips of steak and then rinsed off. Doesn't work for ground beef.

Sorry but I have to beg to differ.

We are European and it is often used in ground beef recipes. We use between 1/4 to 1/2 tsp to 454 grams or 1 lb ground beef and helps to keep it very juicy. It works and is not able to be detected. It is especially good with meatballs and I guess you call them kotletten or beef patties (hamburgers). We use them in kebabs (the ones made with ground beef). Our Roumanian neighbours use it also, so "it's a thing" LOL. Laugh
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics