Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Bed Size for Guest Room
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:45 am
Please advise,
I just renovated and Debating between 39 inch beds or 44 inch beds for a guest room.
I host my parents from time to time and I rent out my house too. I would want to use this room as the "master" bedroom when rented out.

If I get 39 inch beds I can arrange the room in a nicer layout. I can space them nicely, not by a wall, and still have room to open a closet door and headboards are on a wall that doesn't have windows

With 44 inch beds I need to place the beds by a different wall (since it'll block a closet door otherwise) both beds will be by a wall/corner and the headboard would be 1 inch over the window frame. Still spacious and nice but not as nice:)

39 inch bed: Nicer layout closet/wall - space - bed - space - bed - space - wall

44 inch beds: wider beds:) wall - bed - window - bed - wall

In short do I choose a nicer layout or a wider bed which is more comfortable?

Thanks!

[color=Font Color] [/color][color=Font Color] [/color][color=Font Color] [/color]

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:47 am
39 inch beds are fine.

mfb

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:51 am
I happen to like my bed by a wall.

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:53 am
39 inch beds are totally fine. If it's a nicely decorated room, you're great.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:56 am
mfb wrote:
I happen to like my bed by a wall.
me too:)
My kids beds are by walls!
But for guest I want a nicer, hotel style look.. with a draped curtain over the window, extended over the full wall..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 12:58 am
so 39 inch wins the popular vote:)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 1:01 am
essie14 wrote:
39 inch beds are totally fine. If it's a nicely decorated room, you're great.

got it. For guest it's perfect.

What about my parents and in laws? Will I have to give them my master when they stay by us? That's what I always did, I moved into one of the other rooms to give them the comfortable wide beds.
Can I put 65 year old parents on 39 inch beds? They're my parents, not just guest..
(with 44 inch beds I can for sure give them the guest room. )

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 1:10 am
I would rather for myself a bigger bed and near a wall. Also if you have someone with a baby that wants to nurse laying in bed the bigger size is much more comfortable.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 1:19 am
Wider bed 100%

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 1:41 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I would rather for myself a bigger bed and near a wall. Also if you have someone with a baby that wants to nurse laying in bed the bigger size is much more comfortable.

Good point!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 2:02 am
I have found that people enjoy comfort over looks for the most part. I have a queen bed and then a twin in my guest room. I think people are happy to have the opportunity to share a bed if they would like/are able, and they are understanding that I do not have room for 2 queens. People have positively commented on this many times. I ordered matching linen and set the room up nicely. As a guest, I also appreciate comfort over aesthetic.

I think your sensitivity to your guests, and respect for your parents is awesome.

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 2:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
got it. For guest it's perfect.

What about my parents and in laws? Will I have to give them my master when they stay by us? That's what I always did, I moved into one of the other rooms to give them the comfortable wide beds.
Can I put 65 year old parents on 39 inch beds? They're my parents, not just guest..
(with 44 inch beds I can for sure give them the guest room. )

My parents and in laws sleep on regular twin beds in their own homes. Google says that's 38 inches. So yes, I would be fine putting my parents and in laws (who are closer to 70) on those size beds. None of our parents would ever sleep in our room, even if I would offer which I wouldn't.
I don't have that culture of giving up my master bedroom to anyone, I'm assuming maybe you saw that growing up.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 3:36 am
I think a regular twin is totally reasonable. The thinner than regular twin ones are not reasonable for adults.

flower2

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:19 am
Twin is fine for guests (even parents) but if you rent it out as a master the 44inch is better

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:21 am
As a guest I would rather the bigger beds Smile as usually when I am a guest im usually tired from traveling and want a good yummy bed

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:40 am
I vote for 44”.
It’s nice to come as a guest and have a more luxurious bed, even though a 39” with nice linens, good pillows and blankets is very welcoming too.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:45 am
39" is a such a standard size, nothing wrong with having them in the guest room and for parents. Many people have only 39" beds in their home.

meme6

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:48 am
I would rather 44” especially if I’m paying to rent the house. As a guest I take what I get which have been 33” also lol. But I vote for 44

srbmom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:56 am
Also how old are your kids? Is this a guest room that will potentially be used by married kids one day? Then I'd absolutely go with bigger beds. It will be a huge plus for them

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:08 am
Definitely bigger.
With good air conditioning.
Otherwise it’s all good.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics