Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Anyone Have Experience With "The Listening Program"?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:28 am
As far as I understand its mighty expensive. Loooking into it for an 8 y o boy that has auditory processing delays and mild sensory issues. I read some negative reviews online how it could make your kid unravel...

Any input? Has anyone tried it with their kids

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 1:09 pm
Yes.

Full disclosure: I'm a provider for the program, but I only became one because I was using it myself and liked it enough to want to reach others...and get a little commission for it, because if I'm going to spend time explaining the program to a lot of people and walking them through it, then why not.

If you want it offline, it will cost you. But if you can use an internet-connected phone, ipad, computer, whatever, then you can get a streaming version that is extremely affordable especially compared to other similar therapies. And it's its own app so you can disable all other internet access if that's a concern.

I never had a kid "unravel," but there is a trial period (7 days I believe) that if you use it to the fullest during the trial period you should get a good idea of whether your kid can tolerate it. For sensitive kids we often do need to "wean" them onto gradually longer periods of using headphones. Though the target is 15 minutes twice a day so it's not a lot to build to.

I found it extremely helpful. I think the greatest benefit is when it is used to prepare for or supplement other therapies. Sometimes you have a kid who's in OT for sensory or SLT for auditory processing and they're just making agonizingly slow progress, and then you add in listening therapy and suddenly things start to happen. I do think there is still a benefit to doing it alone, especially since the time and money are relatively much easier than other therapies so for some people it's a matter of access, but the superpower is when you pull together the different efforts.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 1:18 pm
Is this for people with mysophonia?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 2:02 pm
I did it with my daughter when she was about 4 years old. She did really well with it.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 2:04 pm
I found it reduced general noise sensitivity in people with heightened sensory responses, as well as reducing anxiety surrounding these sensory responses. I'm not sure whether that would help the more specific sound sensitivities of misophonia but it sounds possible and I can check whether there have been any studies on that specifically.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 3:08 pm
As a speech therapist who works with kids with autism, I’ve had tons of clients who have done it. It is controversial and not well accepted in the therapy community as there is NO research supporting it. Anyone who says it’s helped is speaking anecdotally about their own experience, which is fine but understand that there is nothing deeper supporting it. I have never felt like any client made any progress with their SLP or OT goals from it so my opinion is that it’s not helpful (however if you’re hoping to work on sound sensitivity that may be different - speak to an audiologist for an opinion). It’s time consuming and expensive so it requires a real commitment. Most parents who I’ve spoken to afterwards regret it. (And I keep my opinion to myself unless directly asked, so it’s not even like they know how I feel about it.) It’s very popular where I live (LA) but my colleagues all feel the same way. I’d suggest reaching out to a therapist who specializes in what you’re looking to address and work towards making functional progress in those areas.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 3:16 pm
I'm puzzled by the time consuming and expensive part. At 15 minutes per session and about $35 a month for about 6 months, it's one of the least demanding treatments I've ever seen. Worst case scenario you don't love it and spent some time hearing relaxing classical music, you're out less than the cost of two sessions with a homeopath or whatever that has far less scientific basis.

Won't "cure autism" for sure so if that's what your clients were sold then of course they feel scammed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 2:22 pm
Denim, What do you mean by "regrets it". Thank you seeker for all your info, I might PM you...any ideas how I could get it the cheapest, any rentals out there?

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 8:24 pm
I was once recommended to try it for my child but I felt the speech therapist recommending it wasn't being honest with me about other things. It felt like he was pushing an MLM thing when I came with a kid who needed therapy.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 07 2021, 10:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Denim, What do you mean by "regrets it". Thank you seeker for all your info, I might PM you...any ideas how I could get it the cheapest, any rentals out there?

I’ve been told that it’s way more expensive and time consuming than the previous poster stated, so please excuse me if I’m incorrect. However many parents have said (about this and other treatments) that they feel like they got their hopes up and then were let down. Also many children don’t seem to want to wear the headphones and listen, so the parents end up in a stressful power struggle for something that doesn’t help in the end. The problem with unfounded approaches is that they offer false promises with no basis of research backing them up. However a parent is entitled to go in with all of the information and actively make the choice anyways. It’s just good to know both sides.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 7:18 pm
seeker wrote:
I found it reduced general noise sensitivity in people with heightened sensory responses, as well as reducing anxiety surrounding these sensory responses. I'm not sure whether that would help the more specific sound sensitivities of misophonia but it sounds possible and I can check whether there have been any studies on that specifically.

Hi, thank you for this info.
It was just recommended to DC.
You mention studies, and the poster below says there is no research backing it.

Is it possible for you to post links to any research on the Listening program?

Thank you so much!

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 9:39 pm
Bumping this thread from a while ago...

Currently looking into this because it was recommended to me for my son and I am wondering if anyone can share more experiences or information about TLP?

If sharing info- please identify if you are familiar with the info as a parent, OT, another type of therapist, teacher, TLP practitioner, etc...

Thank you!

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 9:44 pm
Following

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 9:50 pm
Coupled with fantastic ot, I saw tremendous Hatzlacha. Can I promise this that or the other was what caused changes? No I can’t. But to me it seemed to be what we needed. Good luck!
Adding we did the therapudic listening program and wasn’t too bad. You rent the tracks for two weeks for 10$. You also need to invest in the headphones which were about 100-150$

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:00 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
Hi, thank you for this info.
It was just recommended to DC.
You mention studies, and the poster below says there is no research backing it.

Is it possible for you to post links to any research on the Listening program?

Thank you so much!

Sorry, just realized I never answered this. This is the research they have posted on their website: https://advancedbrain.com/research/ . Obviously on their own website it will only be showing favorable results, but it's something to look at.
It's based on Tomatis so if you do a search for studies on that, you will get more information about the technique in general that's not limited to the one specific product that uses the technique. That might be helpful, too.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:12 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Coupled with fantastic ot, I saw tremendous Hatzlacha. Can I promise this that or the other was what caused changes? No I can’t. But to me it seemed to be what we needed. Good luck!
Adding we did the therapudic listening program and wasn’t too bad. You rent the tracks for two weeks for 10$. You also need to invest in the headphones which were about 100-150$

I had to double check I didn’t write this!
Exactly our experience bh!
My son did it at age 5 for about a year and half.
Yes it was a bit of a challenge amd took some extra effort on our part to get him to wear the headphones at first, but he eventually did and we felt the program really helped him!

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:25 pm
I'm certified in Tomatis. I don't practice it much, because I went into a different field. I did see amazing results with it. You can contact Mr Greenfeld 845-304-5767 in Monsey. He uses this program and is amazing.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Nov 07 2022, 12:10 pm
How important is it to get the actual headphones?
I am willing to invest in $35 per month but the headphones are very pricey.

I have a good pair of beats at home. Can I go with that?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Nov 07 2022, 4:16 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
How important is it to get the actual headphones?
I am willing to invest in $35 per month but the headphones are very pricey.

I have a good pair of beats at home. Can I go with that?

Most of what we hear is through bone conduction, not air conduction. The Tomatis program has headphones with a bone conductor (piece on the skull which transmits sounds) and air conductor (on the ears). It's important to use their headphones.
The sounds get transmitted first through the bone conductor and then through "air conduction" (the ear), this trains the brain to prepare itself for sensory messages.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics